Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 June 2013, 14:02   #51
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,581
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Aaaand breathe
Wow! Time for a lie down in a darkened room with a cool flannel methinks
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:19   #52
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
oh and i forgot Honda outboard rocks but not as much as our facebook page where we will one day post some very interesting pics and news so its well worth liking!
With respect, do you think your communication skills are working for or against folks wanting to 'like' you?
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:30   #53
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
this and never was about Honda vs Etec it was more about people saying how great the etec was. Now Polly seems to insist that we should back these claims up and hay I am sure he will be delighted if you can be bothered.
Dave your don't know when to stop do you? If you read the thread I've never claimed you should back up Etec claims - what I've asked you to do is substantiate your claims that the Etec ones are false. You've refused to do this. My request was not unreasonable.

Quote:
2 stokes mix oil and petrol for lubrication which is not a good solution and very wasteful so they dont last as long and burn more fuel.
maybe but actually I'd guess most outboards don't reach the graveyard from wear and tear. I presume you realise that modern 2 strokes no longer mix fuel and oil - but rather inject them directly into the different parts of the engine where they are needed. I doubt total life (in terms of running hours) is the primary consideration for most people on here. As you say with the right TLC outboards can run for tens to thousands of hours - whereas most leisure users do < 100hrs a year.

Quote:
so why not focus on how they work and then it is v obvious why a 2 stroke burns more fuel
So is it me that's thick or you who doesn't really understand WHY a 2 stroke must be less fuel efficient - because you still aren't explaining it. However since is very obvious, then you'd think it would be a trivial exercise to produce data that unequivocally supports your hypothesis, even if you can't communicate the underlying reasons.

My understanding why old tech 2 strokes were less fuel efficient than 4 strokes was that the new fuel and air mix was being drawn in to the engine as the exhaust gasses were expelled and therefore inevitably some unburnt fuel woud pass straight through the engine without being burned at all - because for part of the cycle both ports were open. However with modern direct injection engines my understanding was the fuel was only injected after the exhaust port was closed, negating this issue. In order to meet the emissions requirements with regard hydrocarbons there really can't be much unburnt fuel around (especially since there will be traces of unburnt, or partially burnt oil taking up what little allowance there is) - so intuitively if the fuel has been burned it will have produced energy which with the right engineering you might expect to be turned into motion...
__________________
Poly is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:47   #54
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Poly I really miss your old Data avatar... it suits you
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:53   #55
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
My understanding why old tech 2 strokes were less fuel efficient than 4 strokes was that the new fuel and air mix was being drawn in to the engine as the exhaust gasses were expelled and therefore inevitably some unburnt fuel woud pass straight through the engine without being burned at all - because for part of the cycle both ports were open. However with modern direct injection engines my understanding was the fuel was only injected after the exhaust port was closed, negating this issue. In order to meet the emissions requirements with regard hydrocarbons there really can't be much unburnt fuel around (especially since there will be traces of unburnt, or partially burnt oil taking up what little allowance there is) - so intuitively if the fuel has been burned it will have produced energy which with the right engineering you might expect to be turned into motion...
At last, some facts. Sadly missing in so much of the preceding
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:55   #56
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 447
Some of you really need to get a life !!
__________________
69cmw is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 14:57   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Let's have an inboard outboard argument/thread....I'll just get set with some red bull and proplus to see me through the evenings reading.......
__________________
PeterM is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 15:17   #58
Member
 
chris.moody's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 984
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Let's have an inboard outboard argument/thread....I'll just get set with some red bull and proplus to see me through the evenings reading.......
__________________
--
Chris Moody
Rib Tigga2 a Ribcraft 4.8 with a Honda BF50
chris.moody is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 15:31   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Etec v 4strokes

http://www.chastheboat.co.uk/downloa...d%20docket.pdf

A BRP document perhaps, but if were inaccurate Brunswick would sue their arses.
__________________
Mollers is offline  
Old 17 June 2013, 15:57   #60
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
http://www.chastheboat.co.uk/downloa...d%20docket.pdf

A BRP document perhaps, but if were inaccurate Brunswick would sue their arses.
I linked to that in post 34 - along with 2 other sources - then ClydeOutboards said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
4: you keep asking me to do all the work but where is your data?

Poly I am happy to proved wrong so instead of miss quoting me why dont you do your own research and that way you can prove me right!

Dave
__________________
Poly is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.