Old 16 March 2019, 16:42   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
We're renting just outside Plymouth for six months while we try and find somewhere to buy along the south Devon coast, so Plymouth Yacht Haven dry stack is the plan at the moment.
Old 16 March 2019, 18:33   #22

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Good plan, I am there too. Hope to see you around.
Old 16 March 2019, 23:32   #23

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
The fuel calculator I posted earlier I've found to be extremely accurate if you have any boat propped correctly to reach its max rpm.

I find that I rely heavily on the accuracy of my usage and range, partly because my trips are often 80km offshore where I then island hop on voyages of 500-600km ( carry fuel for the entire trip). Personaly I run my electronics through nmea so I can find my sweet spot on running from the info I get on range and fuel burn constantly.

Fuel flow metres can be cut into any fuel line and a basic gauge placed on the dash. These can be very handy for squeezing the most range from a vessel on long trips ( and saving money ).
Old 17 March 2019, 08:06   #24

Length: 7m +
Fuel consumption very much depends on speed, distance, time, weather conditions, weight, type of hull, usuage, engine type and HP. Not really monitored any fuel consumption numbers as I go along because its always awful compared with other vehicles. If your going to use your boat alot then its going to cost several thousands a year. A few years ago when I was using my rib most weekends even in winter I added up how much fuel I had used that year and it added up to £6500.00 approximately and that was with fuel at cost.

They are expensive hobbies.
Old 17 March 2019, 09:08   #25

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
If we take Pikey Dave’s figures of 1.2nm/litre at 27knots as average usage, he will use more when he goes faster or it is rougher and less when he is pootling about he is using 22.5 litres per hour @ £1.30 per litre = £29.25 per hour. If he clocks 100 hours per year the annual cost is £2,925 per annum or £8 per day.

The other real life pleasures could be smoking 16 cigarettes per day or drinking 2 pints of beer for the same money, I know which I would prefer and your wife might prefer you doing the same.
Old 17 March 2019, 10:34   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
If we take Pikey Dave’s figures of 1.2nm/litre at 27knots as average usage, he will use more when he goes faster or it is rougher and less when he is pootling about he is using 22.5 litres per hour @ £1.30 per litre = £29.25 per hour. If he clocks 100 hours per year the annual cost is £2,925 per annum or £8 per day.

The other real life pleasures could be smoking 16 cigarettes per day or drinking 2 pints of beer for the same money, I know which I would prefer and your wife might prefer you doing the same.

[emoji106] in the big scheme of (leisure) boat ownership, fuel is a minor consideration. I have a boat for fun & to enjoy in my free time. The only time I consider fuel usage, is during passage planning to make sure I have enough to get me home. If I’m just out for a jolly or a spot of fishing, I’ll let rip & sod the economics.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 11:17   #27

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
[emoji106] in the big scheme of (leisure) boat ownership, fuel is a minor consideration. I have a boat for fun & to enjoy in my free time. The only time I consider fuel usage, is during passage planning to make sure I have enough to get me home. If I’m just out for a jolly or a spot of fishing, I’ll let rip & sod the economics.

That’s certainly the way I look at it Dave.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 21:15   #28

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
This pretty much covers the Mercury range..(my 6.5 is at about 24kn at 3400)

Mercury efi 25 - 40 - 50 - 75 - 90 - 115 - 150 - 175 - 200 - 225 - 250 - 350 hp SCi Verado Outboard Fuel Consumption Liters per hour | Portable 3.5 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 9.9 - 15 hp

Might be something similar for Suzuki somewhere.
Old 17 March 2019, 21:32   #29

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
This pretty much covers the Mercury range..(my 6.5 is at about 24kn at 3400)

Mercury efi 25 - 40 - 50 - 75 - 90 - 115 - 150 - 175 - 200 - 225 - 250 - 350 hp SCi Verado Outboard Fuel Consumption Liters per hour | Portable 3.5 - 4 - 6 - 8 - 9.9 - 15 hp

Might be something similar for Suzuki somewhere.

Confirms people don't read other comments, I posted this on the first page and yes the link I provided is for all manufacturers not just merc, it's also very accurate because it works off rpm not boat size, prop size, weather conditions etc.
Old 17 March 2019, 22:50   #30

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I don't worry (to much) about £ fuel I use on a trip / season, - but the L/NM is important from a passage planning / range point of view and an efficiency and personal standard of how well I'm driving the boat. IMHO knowing what fuel you use over time / conditions is important data.
Old 18 March 2019, 06:52   #31

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Similar to my comment in post 6
Old 30 March 2019, 17:36   #32

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Absolutely Suzuki 150. Cruising below 4000rpm. Based on no facts whatsoever but I’d put a fiver on it [emoji23]