RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear View Post
Same insurance co. as yourself and i see you have gone to great lenghts to get to the bottom of it with no success i will ask though.I would imagine in the event of a claim you would be quoted the clauses and if your equipment didnt fall into there catorgaries your not insured.The fact the products dont exist is imerterial.
Are you direct of via a broker? I am going through the broker - and it seems to be adding another layer of complication/confusion to the whole issue (as whilst he is normally pretty good - he seems to be clueless on this issue).

I agree that even if it was impossible to comply with the terms of a policy that it gives the insurer a good argument to get out of the claim. This was exactly why I raised the issue in the first place. A court might see it differently however (there is consumer protection from unfair contract terms) - but going to court to settle a claim is extreme.

Appart from the issue of the towable itself I am now satisfied with the response to the other issues I raised. Even if the original wording was poor/meaningless/different I have clarification in writing which would be my argument in the event of a claim.
Old 10 December 2006, 12:50   #12

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
i Have just renewed with Mardon, tryed Porthcawl but they just keep telling me they where waiting for a fax, any way when i asked about tying up at a marina, first they told me the boat would need to be chained to the pontoon.
When i told them that Northney dont allow that on the grounds that if the rib caught fire they would not be able to move it away from the other boats.
they then took it all back.
Mardon did say that all cross channel crossings and any trips to the channel islands have to be notifyed in advance and the marina name where you tie up.
I did ask the question, if we were on our way home from say jersey and due to bad weather we put in to Alderney and we cant contact you no email, or its a weekend (a bit obvious) are we still covered. No reply.
Is this a grey area.

Old 10 December 2006, 16:15   #13

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
A competent and experienced observer is on board the vessel at all times when persons are being towed (again good practice, but no explanation of how competence or experience is to be measured here - and bizzarely they have to be on board but not maintaining a look out!)
I think you'll find that an Observer that isn't "observing" is called a passenger!
Old 10 December 2006, 19:03   #14

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Smith View Post
Mardon did say that all cross channel crossings and any trips to the channel islands have to be notifyed in advance and the marina name where you tie up.
I did ask the question, if we were on our way home from say jersey and due to bad weather we put in to Alderney and we cant contact you no email, or its a weekend (a bit obvious) are we still covered. No reply.
Is this a grey area.
I am probable going to insure with Mardon, and crossing the channel was one of my questions. They added it with no hassle and no need to inform them.
They are sending me the paperwork so ill check that.
The only bit they were not sure of is if I could leave the boat anchored overnight or on a mooring bouy.

It does appear to be a problem with most insurance, the other one I found that offered a good policy was craftinsure. They will not insure inflatables but offer a good basic package and will add most things. They include cover for crossings to France.

I think you need to be very careful of what is and is not insured, as they do not make it clear at the time of getting a quote.

Tim