Old 31 October 2009, 00:24   #1

Town: cleethorpes
Boat name: none
Make: narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: none
re narwhal 4 mtr rib

hi peeps just bought a 4mtr narwhal rib with 2 seater consol flex stairing vhf antenner compas no sponsons was hopin to do it up over winter months but after reading your posts do you think i should chop it up and stick in bin its solid alover its down to bare shell only few nics was going to sand hull down with my belt sander lightly to take wax off gelcoat and gelcoat hull differant colour do i need a primer before gelcoat and can i put 2 layers on with colour and 1 clear advise please i need advise on everything from electrrics to retubing
i only want this to do a bit of fishing and leisure its a project for me and kids to build from scratch always wanted to do it now i have a bit of time the hull and transom look in realy good nik or am i wasting my time and money re tubing is expensive regards patrick ny info would be great i no nothing
Old 31 October 2009, 08:05   #2

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Hi Patrick

Welcome to Ribnet - sounds like you have a fun project on your hands

Have answered what I can ......

1. Do you think i should chop it up and stick in bin? (its solid all over, its down to bare shell with only few nics) - Noooo I think it sounds a great idea and could be real fun

2. You were going to sand hull down with belt sander to lightly to take wax off gelcoat and gelcoat hull a different colour - do you need a primer before gelcoat and can you put 2 layers on with colour and 1 clear? - No idea sorry

3. You need advice on everything from electrrics to retubing? - lots of advice on here do a forum search and you will be amazed at what comes up!!

4. Is retubing expensive? - from what I can gather and depending on the size of your RIB about 2k for a 5m RIB so I assume less for a 4m but not an area I have any experience of

I'm sure you will get lots of helpful advice - personally I think it sounds really exciting

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 11:09   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick c View Post
hi peeps just bought a 4mtr narwhal rib with 2 seater consol flex stairing vhf antenner compas no sponsons was hopin to do it up over winter months but after reading your posts do you think i should chop it up and stick in bin its solid alover its down to bare shell only few nics was going to sand hull down with my belt sander lightly to take wax off gelcoat and gelcoat hull differant colour do i need a primer before gelcoat and can i put 2 layers on with colour and 1 clear advise please i need advise on everything from electrrics to retubing
i only want this to do a bit of fishing and leisure its a project for me and kids to build from scratch always wanted to do it now i have a bit of time the hull and transom look in realy good nik or am i wasting my time and money re tubing is expensive regards patrick ny info would be great i no nothing
Is it the one off eBay?
I'd keep it and do it up.
Old 31 October 2009, 20:37   #4

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Patrick - yes welcome to Ribnet.

As you'll have read some Narwhals have had a bit of bad press, but don't be mislead into thinking they are all duff. Sure they may be PVC tubes, but since you are going for a re-tube then get someone like Paul Tilley to do a nice set of hypalon ones for you. NB Paul (who posts on here) will do a great job for you - there are plenty of members of the Paul Tilley fan club here

Granted a 4m Narwhal will not behave as well as an SR4 when it starts to get a bit more "interesting" but they are great fun for a spot of beach-hopping and wavejumping. Our one flew along with a 50hp 3-pot Yammie on the back, and the kids used to love it

Attached below is a piccie of ours before we sold it. It was a great, fun, boat and our introduction to the world of ribbing. Certainly, don't bin it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Narwhal.jpg
Views:	2766
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	47285  

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 23:31   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Pictures would be good buddy.

re the deck rub it down and coat it with a good quality non slip deck paint. two coats and it's sorted.

Gell coat is a thin layer of Polyester resiin which is put on to make the fibre glass look good, help with the release from the mould helps prevent damage from the water so anything like robust sanding will remove the gell coat pretty quickly.so dont use a belt sander on the hull, it's too butch, rub the hull down with 60/120, fill where neccasary and antifoul it to the waterline. Them you have much less of the Hull left to make look good.

gell coat filler http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/gelco...or270661.bhtml

fibre glass filler http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/epoxy...tm_campaign=gb

Non slip paint http://www.marinemegastore.com/produ...t_id=MAIPAI002 whilst you are on that page look at the additive or just sprinle in some sand/grit when it's wet

you can get this stuff from a local chandler if you want to
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2009, 00:55   #6

Town: cleethorpes
Boat name: none
Make: narwhal
Engine: none
narwhal 4 mtr rib

thanks for advice new to this so i will put some pics on
yes its off ebay the man i bought it off was a gent
lookin forward to doing the work