Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 June 2014, 11:19   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,029
Rb14

Looks like a few of us are going to give RB14 a go...

I will be doing the trip in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support and to raise awareness of the charity and promote that we are on the way to funding a RIBnet Macmillan Nurse for a year

I'm just waiting for the ok from work for the time off and I need to purchase a PLB and a Handheld.

This trip is 100% funded by ourselves and everyone is working hard to make it happen.

We only have a few weeks to get things sorted but it's looking good

I'm sure Trevor will fill you in on the plan and the challenges regarding fuel
__________________

__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 11:35   #2
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
not to sound like an idiot but what is rb14?
__________________

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 11:37   #3
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,078
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Round Britain I think.
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 11:39   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 528
At an educated guess, Round Britain 2014.

Would love to join in - one of the reasons I bought my RIB is to eventually (hopefully) do a Round Britain, but am sadly about to set sail for Southern Brittany next week.
__________________
paulbrown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 11:43   #5
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
I would love to do it, however I think I would have to go on a bigger boat as the searider won't quite cut it.

I presume it will only be 6m+ ribs attempting it?
__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:21   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,029
Yeah sorry it's Round Britain 2014

I don't think there is much more room for more boats but there may be a chance to join in on a leg in your own boat
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:23   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
What boat you using ninja?
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:46   #8
Member
 
henryfreston's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Yeah sorry it's Round Britain 2014

I don't think there is much more room for more boats but there may be a chance to join in on a leg in your own boat
ah yes that's a good idea

although I was not talking about entering another boat, just joining the crew on a bigger boat already doing it (although theses spaces are probably already filled)

__________________
henryfreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 13:18   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryfreston View Post
I would love to do it, however I think I would have to go on a bigger boat as the searider won't quite cut it.

I presume it will only be 6m+ ribs attempting it?
It's been done on 4m ribs before. From what I gather this is the unofficial answer to the PBR event that has been canned due to fuel issues.... Hence the limit on numbers.

Think the smallest on round Ireland last year was 4.7m. Hard to think any worse conditions likely for this
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 14:24   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,837
Envious !! I tried to make this happen (for myself not charity) 2013 and again this year but varying reasons saw it cancelled.

Hope you pull it off. Consider hospitality in Ramsgate sorted - we have petrol too !!

You can borrow my PLB and DSC H/Held no probs.

We will have to chat to Falmouth about the PLB but I don't see a problem if they are notified.
__________________
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 14:30   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,457
RIBase
Happy to sort some fuel if you happen to come into Bude on the way past.
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 14:46   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
From what I gather this is the unofficial answer to the PBR event that has been canned due to fuel issues.... Hence the limit on numbers.

Think the smallest on round Ireland last year was 4.7m. Hard to think any worse conditions likely for this
Yes - this is being done by some of the boats that were hoping to participate in the recently cancelled Powerboat and Rib Round Brittain 2014 Challenge - rather than keep referring to the old thread (Round Britain Powerboat and Rib Challenge 2014 ) We thought we'd start a new untainted one!
As it stands - there are 5 Petrol ribs and probably 1 or 2 Diesel boats hoping to pretty much do the same route and on the same dates as the original event.

The main changes are that we're starting and ending in Southampton (rather than Plymouth), and probably stopping at Dun Laoghaire (Nr Dublin, Ireland) rather than Holyhead as there's no petrol available in Holyhead.

As usual for this type of cruise, if the weather when we're due to start doesn't play ball, we'll have to think of something else to do for 12 days!

The Provisional route and dates are:
24th July - Southampton to Plymouth
25th July - Plymouth to Scillies
26th July - Scillies to Milford Haven (Neyland Marina)
27th July - Milford Haven to Dun Laoghaire
28th July - Dun Laoghaire to Bangor (Northern Ireland)
28th July - Bangor to Oban
29th July - Oban to Inverness
30th July - Inverness to Arbroath
31st July - Arbroath to Whitby
1st August - Whitby to Lowestoft
2nd August - Lowestoft to Ramsgate
3rd August - Ramsgate to Southampton.

Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 15:09   #13
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,773
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
Good on you - Best of Luck!
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 15:39   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,527
Still confused why HMS picked those venues on the East Coast... I'd have thought Newcastle was ideal (2 x petrol I believe). Would reduce the distance from Arbroath. Skip Whitby - lovely place but no petrol then probably somewhere north of Lowestoft as Lowestoft has no Petrol either. Then make the stretch to Ramsgate longer as it feels quite short...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 16:53   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Still confused why HMS picked those venues on the East Coast... I'd have thought Newcastle was ideal (2 x petrol I believe). Would reduce the distance from Arbroath. Skip Whitby - lovely place but no petrol then probably somewhere north of Lowestoft as Lowestoft has no Petrol either. Then make the stretch to Ramsgate longer as it feels quite short...
Agreed!
However, the places we're stopping overnight are not necessarily where we're going to fuel-up.
In fact - from going round Ireland last year we found that relying on getting fuel in the evening means if you arrive late you are stuck until the next morning - then you don't have the option of an early start, which is often when the seas are flatter.
In many legs, We'll probably be making our lunch stops where the fuel is available rather than our overnight stops.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 03:22   #16
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Yes - this is being done by some of the boats that were hoping to participate in the recently cancelled Powerboat and Rib Round Brittain 2014 Challenge - rather than keep referring to the old thread (Round Britain Powerboat and Rib Challenge 2014 ) We thought we'd start a new untainted one!
As it stands - there are 5 Petrol ribs and probably 1 or 2 Diesel boats hoping to pretty much do the same route and on the same dates as the original event.

The main changes are that we're starting and ending in Southampton (rather than Plymouth), and probably stopping at Dun Laoghaire (Nr Dublin, Ireland) rather than Holyhead as there's no petrol available in Holyhead.

As usual for this type of cruise, if the weather when we're due to start doesn't play ball, we'll have to think of something else to do for 12 days!


The Provisional route and dates are:
24th July - Southampton to Plymouth
25th July - Plymouth to Scillies
26th July - Scillies to Milford Haven (Neyland Marina)
27th July - Milford Haven to Dun Laoghaire
28th July - Dun Laoghaire to Bangor (Northern Ireland)
28th July - Bangor to Oban
29th July - Oban to Inverness
30th July - Inverness to Arbroath
31st July - Arbroath to Whitby
1st August - Whitby to Lowestoft
2nd August - Lowestoft to Ramsgate
3rd August - Ramsgate to Southampton.

Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
Are you going straight from Milford to Dun Loaghaire Trevor or are stopping at Holyhead for lunch?
__________________
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 04:40   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
Are you going straight from Milford to Dun Laoghaire Trevor or are stopping at Holyhead for lunch?
That depends on the wind direction - more likely we'll go across the Irish Channel to Rosslare / Wexford and up the East Coast of Ireland where it's more likely to be sheltered from any westerly wind.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 09:52   #18
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 365
Hope to c u all At D L (Purty kitchen as I recall)
__________________
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 12:48   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
In many legs, We'll probably be making our lunch stops where the fuel is available rather than our overnight stops.
Sounds quite sensible.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 18:18   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
That depends on the wind direction - more likely we'll go across the Irish Channel to Rosslare / Wexford and up the East Coast of Ireland where it's more likely to be sheltered from any westerly wind.
Trevor - good to see you on Sunday.
Best of luck with this, sad I cant join you this time.

Andy
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×