Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 June 2014, 15:30   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
Happy to sort some fuel if you happen to come into Bude on the way past.
__________________

__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 15:46   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
From what I gather this is the unofficial answer to the PBR event that has been canned due to fuel issues.... Hence the limit on numbers.

Think the smallest on round Ireland last year was 4.7m. Hard to think any worse conditions likely for this
Yes - this is being done by some of the boats that were hoping to participate in the recently cancelled Powerboat and Rib Round Brittain 2014 Challenge - rather than keep referring to the old thread (Round Britain Powerboat and Rib Challenge 2014 ) We thought we'd start a new untainted one!
As it stands - there are 5 Petrol ribs and probably 1 or 2 Diesel boats hoping to pretty much do the same route and on the same dates as the original event.

The main changes are that we're starting and ending in Southampton (rather than Plymouth), and probably stopping at Dun Laoghaire (Nr Dublin, Ireland) rather than Holyhead as there's no petrol available in Holyhead.

As usual for this type of cruise, if the weather when we're due to start doesn't play ball, we'll have to think of something else to do for 12 days!

The Provisional route and dates are:
24th July - Southampton to Plymouth
25th July - Plymouth to Scillies
26th July - Scillies to Milford Haven (Neyland Marina)
27th July - Milford Haven to Dun Laoghaire
28th July - Dun Laoghaire to Bangor (Northern Ireland)
28th July - Bangor to Oban
29th July - Oban to Inverness
30th July - Inverness to Arbroath
31st July - Arbroath to Whitby
1st August - Whitby to Lowestoft
2nd August - Lowestoft to Ramsgate
3rd August - Ramsgate to Southampton.

Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 16:09   #13
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
Good on you - Best of Luck!
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 16:39   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Still confused why HMS picked those venues on the East Coast... I'd have thought Newcastle was ideal (2 x petrol I believe). Would reduce the distance from Arbroath. Skip Whitby - lovely place but no petrol then probably somewhere north of Lowestoft as Lowestoft has no Petrol either. Then make the stretch to Ramsgate longer as it feels quite short...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 17:53   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Still confused why HMS picked those venues on the East Coast... I'd have thought Newcastle was ideal (2 x petrol I believe). Would reduce the distance from Arbroath. Skip Whitby - lovely place but no petrol then probably somewhere north of Lowestoft as Lowestoft has no Petrol either. Then make the stretch to Ramsgate longer as it feels quite short...
Agreed!
However, the places we're stopping overnight are not necessarily where we're going to fuel-up.
In fact - from going round Ireland last year we found that relying on getting fuel in the evening means if you arrive late you are stuck until the next morning - then you don't have the option of an early start, which is often when the seas are flatter.
In many legs, We'll probably be making our lunch stops where the fuel is available rather than our overnight stops.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 04:22   #16
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Yes - this is being done by some of the boats that were hoping to participate in the recently cancelled Powerboat and Rib Round Brittain 2014 Challenge - rather than keep referring to the old thread (Round Britain Powerboat and Rib Challenge 2014 ) We thought we'd start a new untainted one!
As it stands - there are 5 Petrol ribs and probably 1 or 2 Diesel boats hoping to pretty much do the same route and on the same dates as the original event.

The main changes are that we're starting and ending in Southampton (rather than Plymouth), and probably stopping at Dun Laoghaire (Nr Dublin, Ireland) rather than Holyhead as there's no petrol available in Holyhead.

As usual for this type of cruise, if the weather when we're due to start doesn't play ball, we'll have to think of something else to do for 12 days!


The Provisional route and dates are:
24th July - Southampton to Plymouth
25th July - Plymouth to Scillies
26th July - Scillies to Milford Haven (Neyland Marina)
27th July - Milford Haven to Dun Laoghaire
28th July - Dun Laoghaire to Bangor (Northern Ireland)
28th July - Bangor to Oban
29th July - Oban to Inverness
30th July - Inverness to Arbroath
31st July - Arbroath to Whitby
1st August - Whitby to Lowestoft
2nd August - Lowestoft to Ramsgate
3rd August - Ramsgate to Southampton.

Petrol is a challenge but we think we've got it sorted!

Trev
Are you going straight from Milford to Dun Loaghaire Trevor or are stopping at Holyhead for lunch?
__________________
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 05:40   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
Are you going straight from Milford to Dun Laoghaire Trevor or are stopping at Holyhead for lunch?
That depends on the wind direction - more likely we'll go across the Irish Channel to Rosslare / Wexford and up the East Coast of Ireland where it's more likely to be sheltered from any westerly wind.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 10:52   #18
Member
 
M.Thornton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 319
Hope to c u all At D L (Purty kitchen as I recall)
__________________
M.Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 13:48   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
In many legs, We'll probably be making our lunch stops where the fuel is available rather than our overnight stops.
Sounds quite sensible.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 19:18   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
That depends on the wind direction - more likely we'll go across the Irish Channel to Rosslare / Wexford and up the East Coast of Ireland where it's more likely to be sheltered from any westerly wind.
Trevor - good to see you on Sunday.
Best of luck with this, sad I cant join you this time.

Andy
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.