Old 08 April 2005, 08:34   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Rare US RIB Owner Encounter, He's selling his Ribcraft 5.85

Wednesday afternoon I had a business meeting with a new potential client. About 30 minutes into our conversation, he asked if I knew of Ribcraft USA in Marblehead where I live. Turns our discussion to RIBS for the next 15 minutes! With the rarity of RIBS in the US, I was astounded at the chance encounter.

He has a Ribcraft 5.85, with blue tubes, a 100 hp Yammie, T-top, standing bolster, many electronics, etc. He bought it a few years ago at the Newport Boat Show, after a sea trial in a 40 knot blow when no one else was going out Loves the boat, goes out and jumps waves with the Jetskis and other PWC. It was used in all of the promotional photos for Ribcraft USA for the 5.85, and I was looking at it in their brokerage listings on their site just a week or so prior. He's had some business difficulty, which is what is likely forcing the sale. Though he also said he likes to restore his toys, and a new Ribcraft has nothing to do but wash it down!

He threw out a number of $30,000 USD which would take it away, probably the balance on his note. I'm very happy to have spent only a small fraction of that on my RIB! Just thought I'd share... I have no interest in the sale, only in closing MY sale with him! Though if he sold the boat, it might help my cause

If anyone's interested, here's the listing: http://ribcraftusa.com/ribcraft_5_85_rp.pdf

Old 08 April 2005, 16:35   #2

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
dctucker,

Did you get your sling made? I'd love to see pics of your boat. Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oursearider.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	11253  

Old 08 April 2005, 16:40   #3

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
$30,000 That sound like a lot for a three year old 5.8m rib ! I thought the ole USA was cheaper than Europe ! By the way are you anywhere near Ipswich ???
Old 08 April 2005, 16:43   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Riak
Make: National Squib
Engine: 2hp Yamahahahaha
MMSI: Nope
Nice looking boat Boatster.......nice clear water too. Is that a bloody great fish next to your rib?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oursearider.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	11255  
Old 08 April 2005, 17:10   #5

Hi Robin,

I think that was string of kelp. Yes the water out at Catalina Island is crystal clear, its amazing. This was my second crossing over from the mainland (24 miles). My boat is so short that I can legally tie it to the dinghy dock overnight.

Boatster
Old 08 April 2005, 17:32   #6

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
$30,000 That sound like a lot for a three year old 5.8m rib ! I thought the ole USA was cheaper than Europe ! By the way are you anywhere near Ipswich ???
I thought it was a lot as well! New list price is apparently in the $50,000 USD range?!?!

Yes, Ipswich is close, in fact, easier by water than by land! Gloucester is sort of "just around the corner" from Marblehead, and Ipswich is just up the Ipswich river from there. Here's a map: http://tinyurl.com/44quv

Ribster- Haven't gotten a sling made, but 1/2" 3 strand nylon line will suffice. I have a quote of $150 USD for one built of that with a central ring, plus appropriate safety hooks, or $120 with just the lines from West Marine Rigging. I can proably have the same thing done locally for substantially less. I need to email the outfit you recommended, and I'm waiting for a reply from Zodiac NA with their price. I'm not in any sort of rush, as I can ramp launch easily enough. I may wind up keeping the boat in a sailing yard with a hoist, hence the research. Or I can try to remember how to splice 3 strand myself and build it for <$50! Or build it out of braid which I do remember how to splice

I'm holding off on pictures until I have some of the boat actually IN the water! Maybe NEXT weekend... I've just nearly finished all of the wiring. Still have a few miscellaneous projects, like like screwing down the seat on the console, replacing the tilt/trim switch (which only runs down, need to reverse the +/- to get it to tilt up!), and a few other little bits. Putting it in my garage for the winter instead of my car was supposed to ensure that it was ready by now!
Old 08 April 2005, 17:48   #7

dctucker,

Over here in California some of the State Park launching cranes require that the sling be ANSI certified. I thought I was going to pay an arm and a leg for one but the company I got my sling from were the cheapest and by far the best for the job. Professionals beyond belief. They have been in the sling business since WW II, great company. I would emphatically recommend them to build your sling for you. My sling, with 4 legs is rated to lift over 10 lbs with each strap at 45 degree angles, overkill.

Can't wait to see your pics.

boatser/ribster
Old 08 April 2005, 17:48   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think you'd get 15k for that ribcraft over here aint't that what 30k bucks equals
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2005, 21:48   #9

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Bagel Blue
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Honda
MMSI: 007
$30K USD is a good price.

FYI: Had this guy had this boat for sale last January he just may have sold it to me (condition, etc, ????). I bought an aluminum hulled 6.5M Ribcraft, T-top, 150 Honda, hvy duty tubes (1650 dtx), compass, VHF and trailer for $54K USD. The 5.85M was about $8K less (also aluminum hull). I never asked what the fiberglass boats cost, but I think they are a tad cheaper. $54K was $12-$35K less than others (Canada, Louisianna, Seattle), though those boats were more "commercial" in nature. $30K sounds about right. Yes, your pound is about 80% more valuable than our dollar, last I looked. j
Old 09 April 2005, 00:10   #10

Town: miami beach
Make: McMullen and Wing
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard optimax
Yeah 30k for that boat is prety fair, RIBS on this side are hard to find, and the ones here over 5 meters are usually decked out for heavy commercial use.