Originally Posted by codprawn
woof woof

Ipso Facto....
Old 27 October 2005, 13:47   #42

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin
Nothing makes your blood boil more?
Not even speed cameras, stealth taxes, wheel clampers, the rise of the 'chav', commercial traffic wardens, endless public funded new traffic lights, political correctness, overpriced everything and (this must be felt by us all) FUEL TAX.... I could go on...

I agree it is absurd that with all the new laws being a criminal is no harder - infact it is easier as no doubt the state will pay for a nice holiday or something to help you fit back into society or reward the yob who ruined some pensioners life
You are absolutaly correct on all the above the poor old motorist takes it up the A*rse every time I don't agree with speeding but come on 34 in a 30 limet hardly warrents a £60 fine and three points lasting five years when you consider you can kick someone in the head and break there cheekbone resulting in having to under go surgery and end up getting a few hours community service no no no bring back the birch
Old 27 October 2005, 14:01   #43

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Just wrote a nice little cheque to the motorway revenue group to the tune of £60 and got some nice scribble on my license for 44 in a 40. Sadly I pay my tax, have a license and insure my car. LR may get swapped for an old Datsun sunny, I will pretend not to understand English and enjoy the road in the knowledge that I am free to do what I want...
Old 27 October 2005, 18:13   #44

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodin
44 in a 40
I always thought there was a 10% margin of error for speedos?

In the 30 limits around here they set the temporary units up in 30 zones for around 36-37mph (about the only useful bit of information the local paper has ever published!)

And yes, it's the low-level crime that pisses everyone off and reduces quality of life - everything from littering to muggings. Can't remember the last time I saw a copper WALK down our road yet it's a main Saturday night route home for lots of people and the petty vandalism that goes with it.
Old 27 October 2005, 18:23   #45

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC

In the 30 limits around here they set the temporary units up in 30 zones for around 36-37mph (about the only useful bit of information the local paper has ever published!)
No allowance is made these days for speedo error.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) did offer guidance on GATSO type prosecution which allowed for 10% plus 2mph - thus 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 etc. This was not acknowledging machine error, but allowed the police reasonable discretion when setting speed traps, and avoided the undue prosecution (and flooding of the system) that catching 97% of drivers would produce..

With Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR), and type approval of speed detection devices, no allowance for speed above the limit need be made and the detection and prosecution are automated. Wet film type GATSOs still may be set above the posted limit, may contain dummy flash units and still run out of film.

In Germany they cut them down with pipe cutters...much better than a Soweto necklace if you ask me!
Attached Images

Old 27 October 2005, 19:31   #46

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
my boat lives down calshot and i put alot of pressure on staff there to up security when my step dad took my boat away at about half past midnight unchallenged and then when we returned it some three weeks later were challenged by security. A few days later i saw a group of kids accompanied by an adult jumping up and down on a recently slashed sorry looking rib called zippy. Unfortunatly the spirit of boaters seems to not spill out to others at calshot, i recently found my boat cover completly off and boat full with water yet nobody had bothered to inform staff or even refit it, i have taken challenges and abuse for refitting covers to otherwise naked boats in bad weather.

LAst year a high value rib was stolen at 14:00 mid week, calshot issued a statement saying security staff were for the on site kids safety not boat security.. kids, now thats probably ur answer!!

pm me tim ill keep an eye on yours if you keep an eye on mine!
Old 28 October 2005, 07:26   #47

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
Basically: DON'T KEEP YOUR BOAT AT CALSHOT. Everyone seems to have a horror story and although it may be cheap it seems they are not bothered in the slightest about security.

Mine is in a locked yard and the security is good - regular patrols etc...
Old 28 October 2005, 07:50   #48

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Sorry to read this tale Tim M.

It just shouldn't happen. Can understand your frustration and anger. 6 young lads (late teens) began to strip things off Zebedee one afternoon in Cowes in broad daylight as we were having a coffee at The Fountain. We managed to chase them away. Good for the HBmaster. He came over & said he had them all on CCTV. All they got was a fire extinguisher however so we weren't too bothered.
Sorry this more serious incident happened to you Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressman
My wife had a strange bloke trying to get in the car back door. Idialled 999 and was asked to follow him!!
Good Lord Steve & Caroline.

Us
Old 28 October 2005, 16:24   #49

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
Speedo Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC
Sorry for going off topic but this is a popular misconception. To gain type approval speedometers CANNOT read below the actual speed of the vehicle, hence you will find your actual speed to be up to 3 - 4 mph below that indicated by your speedo.

That said there is always the possibility of a malfunction, but these days that usually means it works or it doesn't!!

Tim - sorry to hear about your loss. No consolation for you but I WAS considering storing my boat at Calshot - no more!

Andy