Old 01 December 2004, 17:51   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
An empty bean tin on a piece of string will do everything the most expensive Radar Reflector on the market does.
I doubt that it will. A reflector has to RETURN the signal to source. Except for a minuscule narrow vertical, a cylinder will not do this. Now if you planished it, you may be in with a chance.
Old 01 December 2004, 18:36   #22

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Radar Reflectors

I have the cylindrical type RR and whilst crossing between Strumble and Rosslare last April in Fog, The Stena fast ferry had an echo off us at 2 miles and mid Channel, the Stena Europa clocked us at 3 miles. It gave me an awful lot of extra confidence and allowed me to loosen the bicycle clips a wee bit!

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0030.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	9516  
Old 01 December 2004, 18:51   #23
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I've got one of these tubular thingies. No idea how effective it is. Comes with 2 different types of mount to allow horizontal or vertical mount. I would imagine if cable tied/fixed to the A-frame it would not be as high or possibly not be seen from some angles because the frame is in the way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 0311.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	9515  
Old 02 December 2004, 11:49   #24

Town: Seaview, IOW
Boat name: bleu et blanc
Make: Avon 560
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 90
Radar Reflectors

try these: echomax.co.uk or call John Simpson 07974 902416

I spoke with the distributer at Seawork this year and he reckoned that the tubular reflectors were next to useless. He could talk for England, but what he said made sense and the RNLI use them, as did Bear Grylls et al on the trans-atlantic crossing. we have our own design at THLS for our buoy fleet, which is a bit too big for a RIB!

Nick
Old 02 December 2004, 14:32   #25
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Hi Nick,

I fitted the echomax a few months ago - it's a really sturdy installation and certainly suitable for RIB applications - it isn't small though! My previous reflector was a Visiball - I occasionally train with the local lifeboat and they couldn't see me on radar, hence the change.

Jim
Old 02 December 2004, 16:05   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.capjack.com/catalog/Cyclo...ectors.asp?a=7

Really like the look of the Cyclops range - really cool and just the thing for a RIB - they are British but can't find their website here - typical - they not cheap though. Don't work so well on yachts as not so good when heeled over.
Old 02 December 2004, 16:07   #27

Just found this in a directory - on something called RIBNET.................

Cyclops Technologies Ltd
PO Box 6
Bognor Regis
West Sussex
PO22 9TL

Phone: 01243 841123
Fax: 01243 829321

Email: None
Web site: None

Cyclops Technologies Ltd manufacture and distribute the unique range of superior, maintenance free passive radar reflectors, effective through 360 degrees. Cyclops 3 has ISO, IMO and BS approvals. All Cyclops products are built to the same standard. Customers include HM Coastguard, Marine Police units and BIBOA members. Recommended and used by Alan Priddy on Spirit of Portsmouth
Old 02 December 2004, 17:18   #28

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
I notice people mount these the wrong way,they should be mounted upright not cable tied across the top of the A frame as so many people seem to do.
Old 02 December 2004, 18:35   #29

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Rogers
I notice people mount these the wrong way,they should be mounted upright not cable tied across the top of the A frame as so many people seem to do.
Hi Wayne sounds like i've got mine wrong . I have one of the tube type and yes it is cable tied to the top of the A frame.Three reasons for this, it did not come with a bracket or instructions,seen loads mounted this way and been told by others the brackets (when you have them) are not that strong and dont last.
From reports seen not sure how much use they are but if you or others have any more details on position me (and I am sure some others) would be interested to make the most of them.

Thanks
Old 02 December 2004, 18:54   #30

Remember you can also get flares that put out a cloud of chaff - or just have a binbag full of foil strips - chuck it into the air at 40kts and any radar will pick it up!!!!
Old 02 December 2004, 23:45   #31

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
At the risk of offending some posters and the manufacture...

Don't bother with the tube type on a RIB if you re going to use the bolt hole to mount it so its vertical.

I m currently in dispute with a supplier after my second one failed at the base and snapped off... apparently this is an 'unheard of' fault - strange then I ve had 2 break and know of one other RibNetter who had same problem.

They clearly cannot stand the vibration/punishment of being mounted on a RIB. Many more £35s and I could start saving for one of those radar bouys to tow!

SDG
Old 03 December 2004, 08:13   #32

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Cyclops Technologies Ltd ............ Recommended and used by Alan Priddy on Spirit of Portsmouth
Alan in fact Recommends 'An empty bean tin on a piece of string will do everything the most expensive Radar Reflector'.

A Cylinder is about the worst shape you could have for radar reflection, in fact if you were trying to design a stealth reflector you could not come up with a better shape.

Reading all the literature available it looks like the catch rain type reflector offer the best performance for the least money, they are recommended by RORC, and used by Trinity house and the RNLI.

I have a collapsible one which I hang from the A frame as and when but I would like a ‘solid’ one I can permanently mount on a pole. Des
Old 03 December 2004, 09:13   #33

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGANDER
At the risk of offending some posters and the manufacture...

Don't bother with the tube type on a RIB if you re going to use the bolt hole to mount it so its vertical.

I m currently in dispute with a supplier after my second one failed at the base and snapped off... apparently this is an 'unheard of' fault - strange then I ve had 2 break and know of one other RibNetter who had same problem.

They clearly cannot stand the vibration/punishment of being mounted on a RIB. Many more £35s and I could start saving for one of those radar bouys to tow!

SDG
Agreed, the diving club is on its second or third. These are the single bolt type, there is another version which attached top and bottom which might be better if it can be fitted.

Pete
Old 03 December 2004, 09:28   #34

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
My cousin, who used to drive tankers for Shell and is now slumming it on cross channel ferries, claims the most visable reflector on a small vessel is.......

wait for it .......................

Wet Sails!
It seems that small water droplets reflect radar signals very well.
It could save fuel too
Old 07 December 2004, 14:01   #35

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I had the tube type mounted on my RIB and the first day out on a calm summers day it fell off as the bracket snapped. Plastimo replaced it FOC and I made up a small bracket which attached 1/2 way up to stiffen it. been fine for 8 months of rough water so far.
I agree they are a waste of time though, bought mine simply so I could say I had one to comply with SOLAS rather than any hope it was effective
Old 06 February 2005, 19:29   #36

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Old thread I know..... but I thought I would add a bit

Yesturday we were out on a 36" Motor cruiser fitted with Raymarine C80 and 2kw radome for a trip fro Portishead up under the two Severn Bridges and back to Portishead

I was very impressed that the radar picked up the 7-8 little day fishing boats that were mainly at anchor to the sides of the main channel. Looking round the marina most of these are fitted with the simple (and cheap) tube type radar reflector

The C80 displays the radar plot as an overlay to the standard chart and so when the radar findes a bouy the radar plot is more or less over the bouy on the chart. - By looking for Radar returns that did not correspond to any markings on the chart we were then able to spot the vessel by sight (it was quite misty)

We were also able to use the MARPA to aquire a target on the vessels and track their course and speed. Again the C80 tracked the small fishing boats well, untill they were well out of range.

So - overall I was very impressed by the C80 + Radar, and impressed that it picked up the small radar reflectors. - Based on this I think that having one on the rib is a very good idea! - I presume that the big vessels and shore stations pick up an even better "blip"

Cheers
Jools