Old 20 December 2005, 17:05   #71

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
A antennas job is to focus the transmitted signal into a narrow beam the bigger the scanner the more focused the beam wil be,
Yeh, that's what I though you meant. But it isn't more or less power, it's just the focussing of the energy.

Your big girls thing I don't agree with. It may have been the case, especially with CRT's. On the two radars I have owned (different makes) I've not been able to improve on the auto tuning and certainly not while bouncing in a rib. Range is changed as required during the journey.
Quote:
but you get better results if you fine tune the controls your self abit like a photographer doing manual focus
You would probably also need to readjust each time you changed the range which would be impractical on a rib.

Brilliance is no longer adjustable using TFT's but backlighting is and it is also adjusted as required, eg. into sun, following sun, running into an overcast area, falling darkness etc.

Old 20 December 2005, 17:17   #72
Trade member

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Yeh, that's what I though you meant. But it isn't more or less power, it's just the focussing of the energy.

Your big girls thing I don't agree with. It may have been the case, especially with CRT's. On the two radars I have owned (different makes) I've not been able to improve on the auto tuning and certainly not while bouncing in a rib. Range is changed as required during the journey. Brilliance is no longer adjustable using TFT's but backlighting is and it is also adjusted as required, eg. into sun, following sun, running into an overcast area, falling darkness etc.
Try adjusting the brilliance then contrast then gain so that the speckles just start to appear ( bit like squelch on VHF) always keep a few speckles, Range is determined by the hieght of your scanner and it's line of sight to the horizon ie a radar scanner mounted 4 metres above sea level
it will have a range of 4.5 miles square root of height x 2.2 works on line of sight as does your VHF. if using course up remember to readjust your set after each big course change.
And we still teach
BGRTeven on the new LCD sets try playing on a calm day and see if you get better results.
Old 20 December 2005, 18:05   #73

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Try adjusting the brilliance then contrast then gain so that the speckles just start to appear ( bit like squelch on VHF)
Neither contrast nor brilliance is available for adjustment on any of my colour TFT's. Gain is adjusted as required.
Quote:
always keep a few speckles,
Yep.

Quote:
Range is determined by the hieght of your scanner.....
Yes, but targets also vary in height. As you suggested, I also use 3 miles as my general range setting because I can usually get returns from boats which are poor targets and it's plenty of distance to take evasive action but I also set the range out to see what vessels in the distance are doing and I probably do this at about 8-12 miles off. If a vessel is sitting on the same bearing as we close each other, I will keep it on screen by altering range to monitor it. Closing a harbour I'll range in to see how far away other boats are and in which direction they are moving.

Personally, I feel a rigid procol is too inflexible. I always try to keep an open mind where navigation is concerned. It's easy to fix a thought and not think of alternatives, even ones which seem obvious in hindsight.
Old 08 April 2006, 15:12   #74

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Length: 3m +
Engine: Flippin Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana
Could any body enlighten me on fitting a radar reflector to my rib. and to what benefit. Thanks
Buy yourself a stealth rib next time!