Old 11 January 2004, 10:57   #1

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
radar deflector

any one got any recomendations to suit me 6.2mtr rib . heard a few stories people buying various makes only to find out its not showing up on radar , pretty scary really,
need to purchase one asap,
and i cant get to the boat show to bloody busy
Old 11 January 2004, 11:05   #2

Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
radar reflector

Have sent you an email Nuge.
Ed
Old 11 January 2004, 14:12   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
The distillation to previous replies on this subject seem to be that it doesn't matter which brand of reflector you have, it wont show you up anyway.

You gotta have one cause the law says you outta.

So why not buy the cheapest, stow it, and if you get into trouble, deploy it prominantly, so that you MAY be seen and ensure that your insurance company pays out if the worst happens.

That may sound inordinately gloomy, but after lots and lots of trials with other small boats with radars and reflectors, the only conclusion I reached was that it was very dificult to "see" someone, even in perfect conditions and when you were very close to them. Nobody could tell us whether professionals, the Rescue Rervices or the military had much better equipment and could pick us up even if we only had feeble, diddly reflectors.

Best advice is to keep out of everyones way anyway!
Old 11 January 2004, 14:59   #4

Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
radar reflectors

The RNLI use these on their ribs! www.echomax.co.uk
Old 11 January 2004, 15:29   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
There could be three reasons then:
1. They have a better model reflector than I have come across (or they are more skilled/have better eyesight than me, not too dificult actually)
2. The radar kit that is used in their environment is better than on a small pleasure boat
3. Somebody says they have to have them

Any RNLI guys comment?
Old 11 January 2004, 16:57   #6

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I have seen this comment several places now. Where does it say that a radar reflector ( I thought deflectors were only fitted to those boats running dope) has to be fitted to a RIB? Maybe a commercial one but my insurance doesn't mention it and I have never heard of it being "law" generally there is no "law" on what needs to be carried on a personal boat, only recommendations.
Old 11 January 2004, 17:02   #7
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
On the 1st July 2002 the new SOLAS V regulations came into force. Regulation V/19 requires all small craft, if practicle, to have a radar reflector fitted.
Old 11 January 2004, 17:09   #8

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
HI folks

Try here

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/solas.pdf

From my understanding you can only be prosecuted if you have broken the LAW, and it states thats in the event of a accident you may be prosecuted for not meeting the regulations, which includes use of a radar reflector if at all prossible.

As far as insurance goes does it state if you car insurance you cant drink & drive ?.

Anyway if the regulations say or not I belive that ALL boats should do everything to make themselves as visible as possible.

Yopu only really find out if you have been seen of not when you get run down by a big ship. Then its to late

I use the Echomax EM230, a bright orange one just incase they miss it on radar

Regards Gary
Old 11 January 2004, 17:52   #9

Bugger, never seen this before. Nt that it makes any difference as I am still not fitting one.
As far as I am concerned they are a complete waste of time and I don't have room on the A frame anyway, if I fitted one it will be within two inches of either my GPS or my VHF aerials and affect their performance through shadowing or reflections.
So I will just have to do without!
Old 11 January 2004, 19:34   #10

Town: Leatherhead
Rumour has it that if you slit open a beach ball and stuff it full of kitchen foil it will give a quite acceptable radar echo.

Don't quite know what other people will think of a flash RIB with a beach ball fitted to the A-frame though

Perhaps a rugby ball would be better bearing in mind certain recent sporting achievments. Also more asthetically pleasing in shape.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2004, 19:53   #11

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
if practicle, to have a radar reflector fitted.
They use the word "practicible" as in "if possible", making it a bit of a grey area....

If the rules were enforceable, then surely they would say that you have to fit a reflector. Mind you, I can't imagine what reason you could use for not being able to fit one.

When I used to run a Sunseeker as a charter boat, the rules were that we had to have a reflector onboard, we carried a "flatpack" reflector that we kept under the forward berth cushion!
Old 11 January 2004, 20:06   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I've got a 'flatpack' type reflector under the seat that Dirk mentions - so OK in the eyes of the MCA but i came very close to buying one of those you can cable-tie to the A-Frame at the boat show, about £30. Is the general opinion this is a complete waste of £30 because i was thinking of going back to get one tommorow (2nd visit to the LBS )???
Old 11 January 2004, 23:34   #13

Town: Dublin & Kerry
Boat name: Limanda
Make: Arvor & Valiant
Engine: IB 85hp dsl; 8hp Yam
MBM reviewed various types about 12 months ago. From memory most of them did not perform very well. I'll see if I can find it.....

Mike
Old 12 January 2004, 00:29   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
My cousin is a design engineer in Radar for GEC, about 15 years ago I asked him how you could confuse a radar speed gun. His answer was to but some wire wool in the Hubcaps as the wire wool has a high radar signature.

Bearing this in mind I reckon a a sealed tube filled with Wire wool might just do the job. This is not a recomendation just a theory so please don't try it at home yet

It might be worh on one of the next gatherings/poker runs/Biboas havin a group of like minded people trying out the solutions and see how they work. We would obviously need somebody who's boat had a radar.

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2004, 07:33   #15

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
what av i started ere then.
still none the wiser ,definettly a grey area to say the least.. dont fancy breaking down mid channel and getting flattend by a super tanker though,
Old 13 January 2004, 11:49   #16

In my experience larger ships don't routinely monitor the radar except when the need it for navigation or in really poor viz. They tend to set an alarm for proximity and respond when it goes off. This may be Ok but I doubt whether a RR equipped RIB would have a strong enough return against clutter to trigger it.
large ships in open water also have a disturbing tendency to not look out the window either and have a habit of running down small craft or even as shown last year, hitting islands 50miles off course or hitting submerged wrecks with guard boats!