Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 April 2016, 15:37   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 842
Just for a price/age comparison.

Offshore - Offshore 5.2 RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Cleveland, North East | Boats and Outboards
__________________

__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2016, 17:28   #12
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
Well.....I was thinking of this as a starting point.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/S...RLPGl8G3VY5.97

Chances are it belongs to someone on here

Thanks for the advice so far.

The little Ribcrafts are class-leading boats for their size and punch well above their weight. That one looks particularly tidy and would be a very good fit for what you've said you want from a boat. It's at the lower end of your budget too. If you miss it you'll kick yourself!
__________________

__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2016, 18:00   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Etec
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 22
I am thinking of selling my 2004 Mako 5.1 with 2009 90hp etec (50 hours) at the right price, I am moving more towards fishing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1460930393.475853.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	112007
__________________
Newto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2016, 05:12   #14
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 682
Convert, I currently tow with a Ducato 3.0L Motorhome, to be honest, I would not launch on a lot of slips with it, I usually go to places that launch for you, bit more expensive but Hey HO, I have seen others with a similar setup launching, but as you say, not a lot of traction on drive wheels.
__________________
A bad day on the boat is better than the best day at work.
https://www.justgiving.com/RIOW2016
https://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Nash8
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2016, 17:54   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Petersfield
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
Convert, I currently tow with a Ducato 3.0L Motorhome, to be honest, I would not launch on a lot of slips with it, I usually go to places that launch for you, bit more expensive but Hey HO, I have seen others with a similar setup launching, but as you say, not a lot of traction on drive wheels.
I had wondered about that. The 'home' launch site I have in mind would be quite shallow (which I know can bring it's own issues) but it would be a shame to be a bit limited when on the road. In years gone by I've launch boats (not ribs, but same principle) with the aid of a long rope to get the tow vehicle on the level and improve grip but it's a pain.

Last Tango - Can I read into that that you think the Ribcraft is a over priced? There does seem to be a lot of choice out there, which is great but gives a procrastinator too much to think about
__________________
Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2016, 18:35   #16
Member
 
Bucksribster's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thame
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 217
Just to add that if you want a quiet engine go for a 4-stroke.

+1 for Ribcraft as well :-)
__________________
Bucksribster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2016, 03:38   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
Last Tango - Can I read into that that you think the Ribcraft is a over priced? There does seem to be a lot of choice out there, which is great but gives a procrastinator too much to think about
Cars sell on their year, not so much boats as the condition is really far more important.
It does look pretty exceptional for it's age and it may well be worth the asking price. I'd go have a look. The ad does say the price is negotiable.

I'd rather pay marginally over the odds for the right boat than get a bargain on the wrong one.
30 years later I still kick myself for letting a "Riva Sports Fisherman" that was going for 12k slip through my fingers....
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 12:11   #18
Member
 
Stigomery's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 407
Hi... I'm a relative noob to this as well... and one of the first things I was pressed on when I joined this Forum was - "why are you set on a RIB?"

As I progressed through my research, spoke to people here on the Forum, scoured the web, spoke to dealers, etc. I finally settled on a SIB and it is perfect...

From your list of proposed activities and requirements I think a SIB could be more up your street... I might be wrong.

A 3.8m SIB will happily pack camping gear.
It will get you most places you want to go.
You can haul it onto the beach when camping instead of anchoring offshore.
You don't need a trailer - it fits in the boot along with your engine of choice.
Small 20HP engine will get you up to around 18 knots 2-up and will be less thirsty and arguably quieter than a 30-50HP you might have on a RIB...

I got my complete set-up for less than 3.5k brand new so well within you budget.

BTW, if you are choosing a RIB for comfort and space perhaps you should be considering a full-hulled boat.

Anyway, just my tuppence - thought I'd throw that in there...
__________________
Stigomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 13:21   #19
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The little Ribcrafts are class-leading boats for their size and punch well above their weight. That one looks particularly tidy and would be a very good fit for what you've said you want from a boat. It's at the lower end of your budget too. If you miss it you'll kick yourself!
I concour 100% not the time of year to sit on your hands if something nice comes up.
(Should take an offer too)
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2016, 14:04   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Petersfield
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Hi... I'm a relative noob to this as well... and one of the first things I was pressed on when I joined this Forum was - "why are you set on a RIB?"

As I progressed through my research, spoke to people here on the Forum, scoured the web, spoke to dealers, etc. I finally settled on a SIB and it is perfect...

From your list of proposed activities and requirements I think a SIB could be more up your street... I might be wrong.

A 3.8m SIB will happily pack camping gear.
It will get you most places you want to go.
You can haul it onto the beach when camping instead of anchoring offshore.
You don't need a trailer - it fits in the boot along with your engine of choice.
Small 20HP engine will get you up to around 18 knots 2-up and will be less thirsty and arguably quieter than a 30-50HP you might have on a RIB...

I got my complete set-up for less than 3.5k brand new so well within you budget.

BTW, if you are choosing a RIB for comfort and space perhaps you should be considering a full-hulled boat.

Anyway, just my tuppence - thought I'd throw that in there...
Interesting thought and one I hadn't had. I've had a reasonable amount of experience with small sibs over the years; as tenders for yachts and a slightly larger one with a 15hp as our smallest rescue/utility boat when I worked for a sailing centre. You are right, dragging one up a beach and hand launching are defiantly easier. Also probably a better escort boat for a lone swimmer too. The thing is there was weather I would never have dreamed of taking the sib out in that was a breeze in the centre's Seariders. I can't imagine wanting to cross from Portsmouth to the soutern side of the IOW or Oban to Mull in a Sib (though I imagine folk do) whilst I would happily do the same in a Rib knowing if the weather changed I would still make it back. Which is totally illogical as I've done both in a Sea Kayak happily enough.

I guess every boat is a compromise one way or another, it's just working out which compromises as least bad!

Thanks though - it's made me think!
__________________

__________________
Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.