Old 22 September 2004, 12:17   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Question to Divers

Can any divers on the forum tell me - do you have to be qualified to be the bloke in the boat when the divers are below?

My son has just passed his PADI something or other and his mate is just about to take it. Can I take them out diving? I guess I need some kind of flag?
Old 22 September 2004, 12:26   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J
I guess I need some kind of flag?
The flag you need is the International Maritime Signal flag for the letter 'A'. It is blue and white and can be seen here .

Sorry I can't help you about qualifications but someone here will!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2004, 12:30   #3

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Peter

You need to have the minimum qualifications that you need to drive a boat; which is none.

The only thing I would do is check your insurance so see if there are any restrictions, which I doubt there are.

Oh yeah. An 'A' flag, big as possible and high as possible so boats can see you.

Cheers

Mark ( ex(ish) diver )
Old 22 September 2004, 12:36   #4

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Peter, Louise is spot on definatly an "A" flag, however be prepared for some water users Not understanding it's meaning. Quals, Non are required just as Non required to buy and use a boat. Insurance however, you need to check your policy, as some do not include "People in the water" unless it's a MOB situation.

Good luck and Trust he enjoy's the world of diving.

Old 22 September 2004, 13:03   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
A loud haler to shout at other boats that do not know what a A flag is!
Nick
Old 22 September 2004, 14:01   #6

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
I would just like to ad some simple common sence (I hope it's not needed)

When diving with new divers, have them go down the anchor line, so they have a reference line to follow.

Do help them remember to bring a surface marking. Also so you know where they are.

If they AND you decide that they can swim away from the boat, and you the pick up the anchor, follow the surface marking, but in som 50 / 100 meters away. so you don't run them over. (After some practice you might be able to follow the bubbles, but only in calm weather).

Decide on a time, when they should be back in the boat, so you know when to call for help if they don't show up.

Try to think of a way for you to contact them, so you could call them to the surface in case of problems. (try to pull on the surface marking )

Don't have the engine running when picking up divers (or any other persons from the water)

This was my advice for now

Safe diving and driving
Rene
Old 22 September 2004, 15:15   #7

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Quote:
Can any divers on the forum tell me - do you have to be qualified to be the bloke in the boat when the divers are below?

My son has just passed his PADI something or other and his mate is just about to take it. Can I take them out diving? I guess I need some kind of flag?
I suppose if the divers are paying for the dive then the vessell taking then to the dive site could be classed as a commercial vessell carrying paying passengers. If this is the case then you will have to have your commercial endorsement, plus the vessell will have to be coded my the MCA for categorised waters or Local Authority for non categorised waters.

Simon
Old 22 September 2004, 15:26   #8

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Just to add to my last post if diving at night then you should show a red white red lights on top of one another.

Simon
Old 22 September 2004, 15:56   #9

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:

Its also worth noting that you should call the coastguard prior to putting divers in the water with your position, number of divers, number of crew and then call them again upon completion i.e all divers back on board.
If you are diving in an area controlled by port operations, up here its Clydeport, give them a call on their working channel again its channel 12 (Clydeport Estuary Control) and give then the same info.
"A" flag is essential but try to get as big a one as possable and dont rely on other water users knowing what it means, so be prepared to call, shout, make rude gestures.
The main thing to remember is that you are there to "protect" the divers in the water by giving surface support.
Andy
Old 22 September 2004, 18:25   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Pete

when divers are in the water be prepared to use the boat as protection(by getting in the way and shouting and gestures etc) as most other boaters dont know the meaning af an a flag.

Happy diving

Nemo.
Old 22 September 2004, 18:27   #11

Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Peter

Also if your son needs a buddy give us a call!

Nemo
Old 22 September 2004, 19:18   #12

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
If its their first boat dive the strange thing for them will be getting in and out of the boat and a free ascent. A good initial exercise would be to anchor somewhere sheltered and safe with a uniform but hopefully interesting bottom. Let them use the anchor for the descent and ascent. If they have a reel they use for an SMB (surface marker buoy) they can clip this to the chain and have a good roam around but be 100% that they will find their way back. This sort of exercise would be a good confidence booster for them and you rather than trying to haul two inexperienced divers out with your boat drifting with the engine off. On the same lines before trying to pick them up in open water for the first time in full scuba gear throw them both in with just mask and fins so they and you get an appreciation of how they need to position themselves and you need to approach.
Old 22 September 2004, 19:49   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Peter, please do not take your son and his friend diving if they have only just qualified. The Solent / Isle of Wight is not the place to learn by making mistakes, strong tides and poor vis will only scare them off an excellent past time and missing divers under water is a supervisors worst nightmare.

Can I suggest instead you find your local British Sub Aqua club and take them along. Let the club organise the diving safely and show them the local waters. by all means offer to help the club by using your rib which is bound to be appreciated, but safe diving requires experienced dive leaders in the water and an experienced diver acting in the supervisor role on the surface to organise a safe dive, which will minimise risks.

Have a good look at this:

http://www.bsac.com/index.html

Or alternatively have a chat with Andark who organise safe open water dives for small groups on a regular basis, they are a PADI school.

Pete
Old 22 September 2004, 19:49   #14

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

JK - and other non-divers - Sorry, I thought I started this thread in the "other stuff" section. Where did I go wrong?

Peter.
Old 22 September 2004, 20:13   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
JK - and other non-divers - Sorry, I thought I started this thread in the "other stuff" section. Where did I go wrong?
I moved it here! It was borderline, but although not strictly about RIBs I thought that it would be better here where more people were likely to see it.

John
Old 22 September 2004, 20:50   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I moved it here!
Though I was going mad for a bit then!

Nemo- Thanks for the offer but I take Pete7's point very seriously. They should probably get fully aquainted with diving before jumping off my boat for the first time.

I had in mind to go to Kimmeridge, I'm told its nice over there. Is that a better place to get some practise in than the Solent?
Old 22 September 2004, 21:07   #17

Town: Exeter
Boat name: gazza's girl
Make: rib-X
Length: 5.75
Engine: Suzuki 90 4 stroke
Peter

My 13 year old daughter qualified as a PADI open water diver in August....

For her first boat dive we returned to the exact spot where she had carried out her last two training dives.... This way she was familiar with the surroundings

I left the boat anchored whilst we carried out a quick 20 min dive keeping pretty close to the boat.

Although I left a competent person on the boat, I also left instructions that we would make are own way back unless I surfaced a signaled that I wanted picking up...

This way there was no need to start the engine or to follow us.

If both your divers are new to boat diving I would suggest you ask a more experienced diver to accompany them....

It is very important that everyone involved in the dive is comfortable with what is proposed, that applies to both the divers and the boat operator..

If in doubt do not attempt it......

I also informed the coast guard that I had a novice diver on board and this was her first boat dive.... As usual the coast guard was very helpful and requested that I confirmed both the successful return to the boat and when I was leaving the area..

Hope this helps.....

How's the new boat...

Gazza
Old 22 September 2004, 21:11   #18

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Kimmeridge is a great place to learn to dive, and quite shallow, the bay is 4 metres or so. Slipway can be a problem at low tide as the rocks are exposed but there was a second slip if NT haven't blocked it off. Kimmeridge has an underwater nature trail.

Great Place to go with a club as there is space to park and get everyone organised. Take the club there and use your rib as a safety boat as the divers can do the trail as a shore dive.

Pete
Old 22 September 2004, 21:23   #19

Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Peter,

Now for mr Grumpy.

You do not need qualifications, however you would be foolish to take on coxing a boat of divers unless you are an experienced diver yourself, who has been supervised coxing a dive boat in similar conditions to those you intend to go out in, or trained in the skill Now why do I say this:

- Is it safe to put my divers in the water?
- Is it slack, and how long will slack last?
- How do I deploy a shot line? How do I recover it?
- You have to think like a diver when they are in the water ... where/when will they surface?
- The tide is running, where are they?
- Could they be in trouble, they should be up by now, do I call help?
- If they are not up then where will they be?
- How do I deal with an emergency situation of they hit the surface too fast.
- How do I get them into the boat if there is an incident
- How do I treat them if there is an incident? Can I recognise a problem?
- Do I have an o2 admin kit, can I use it?
- Am I capable of briefing the rescue services on whats happened?

This is my starter for 10 to make my point. It's not just a case of driving a boat and putting a flag up. You need to be able to plan then manage the dive site. Your divers dont sound that qualified, that makes things even more risky.

I stongly recommend if you wish to do this, you should consider spending some time in a boat on a dive site with an experienced dive cox. You should do this for the safety of your divers, they take enough risks, and need to depend on the boat and the boat cox in the case that something goes wrong.

Sorry for being honest.

Andy

British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) Power Boat Instructor
BSAC Diver Cox Instructor
RYA Power Boat Instructor <--- Quals to hint that I am not being a killjoy

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2004, 08:14   #20

Town: london
Make: avon a400
Length: 4m
Engine: 40 hp outboard
Quote:

if you son has just passed his first corse i would recomend that he gain some experence with outer diver before he come out would also look into getting 02 and getting trained how to use it incase of any thing happens