Click Here to Login

Old 09 March 2009, 11:52   #1

Town: Trondheim
Boat name: Gullfisken
Make: No name
Length: 9m +
Engine: Inboard, diesel, 370
Question - RibCraft transom, small crack

I would really appreciate it if someone here with some experience could take a look at this and make a comment...

I just bought a used RibCraft.
I did not have the opportunity to go and look at it in person, but had several people check it out/try it before I bought it. After having it transported to where I live, I did a quick scan of the boat. Everything seems to be in tip-top shape, except one thing! There is a small crack at the top of the transom
How my friends managed to miss it is a mystery, but it's my fault for not taking the time to go and look at it myself. In my defense, the seller reported nothing wrong with the boat. If this is something major, we have laws which protects the buyer if there is details which should be known by the seller, but it is not reported to the buyer.

After reading some threads in rib.net about cracks in the transom, I'm more or less petrified right now. Some of the solutions seems quite expensive.

However... Looking at the last image, you can see that there is a small spacing between was seems to be some kind of "top layer" with "paint" (is this what you call gel coat?) around. It looks like it might be only the "top layer" of the transom which has kind of separated a little from the "main" transom. If that is the case, could I get away with just adding some gel coat/paint?
Another thing. If I take hold of the engine shaft and jerk it up/down, there is absolutely no movement in the transom/crack - instead the whole boat "jiggles". So there does not seem to be any weakness in the transom. The transom is quite massive, with 3 supporting "beams" going out from it at the center (2 of these can be seen left side of the "birds view" image).
At last, the hull seems to be in perfect condition except for the small crack.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me if this could be serious or not?

Boat details:
RibCraft 6,5 meter - 2005 mod
Engine : 150HP Honda - 2005 mod
Boat + engine was fitted at producer in UK.

PS.
From Norway and English is not my main language, so please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom_upper_right_birds_view.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	40979   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom_right.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	40980   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom_lower_right.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	40981   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom_lower_middle.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	40982   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom_upper_left.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	40983  

Old 09 March 2009, 13:19   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
The transom is more than likely plywood sheathed in GRP. The outside (back of the transom/boat) layer would have been laid into the mould, then the plywood would have been bonded in followed by sheathing with glass over the top.

It look to me like they have sheathed up the inside of the transom then wrapped it over the top but did not then continue to wrap it over the back of the transom resulting in little or no join between the glass on the back and the glass on the top of the transom...which is where the crack is.

There are far better qualified people on this forum than me to tell you the best method to fix this but I would say you need to whip the engine off, pull back the glass on the top and perhaps 2-3inches down each side of the transom, and then (after making sure its all dry and in good condition underneath) re-glass it over the back/top/front.

I wouldn't leave it as water will get in and make the problem a lot worse and I wouldn't just paint over it and hope for the best! Spend a bit of time sorting it now and it'll be worth it. Hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck.
Old 09 March 2009, 13:25   #3

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Firstly, welcome. Secondly, your english is fine. Your transom does need a proper repair. The engine will need to come off first. The top of the transom needs to be removed to inspect the condition of the plywood core. If it's sound and dry then each side of the transom will need to be ground back and an overlapping repair performed. If the core is spoiled, the extent of that needs to be investigated and a repair undertaken. It does look as though it may be a build problem. If the transom hasn't been lowered by cutting it down then it's an original build problem.

Let's hope it's superficial and easily corrected.

Edit: slimtim can type faster that me and beat me to it!
Old 09 March 2009, 13:38   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Yeah listen to jw, he knows what he is talking about

Forgot to say welcome and your english is better than mine.

From what you have described, it doesn't sound like it is a structural problem, yet. If you leave it however it will quickly become one with the water doing its nasty work. Are there "squelching" or "cracking" sounds, can you see water pushing through the crack and/or does the crack get bigger/smaller when you jerk the engine up and down? If you get none of these it is likely the damage is just superficial at this stage and problem won't run too deep. However you will still need to strip it back like JW said to inspect it.
Old 09 March 2009, 13:50   #5

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Engine: yamaha 80
Your english is fine
I would say looking at the photographs its difficult to tell whether water has gotten into the transom and caused damage, if not repair is relatively straightforward, however if water has gotten into the plywood it will be more expensive and a bit more involved.
If you bought the boat as all good then my first choice would be to take the issue up with the vendor, and either get some money refunded to cover the cost of the repair, or get a full refund for the cost of the boat and shipping. if neither of these options is viable then its a repair job as described by JW funded by yourself. one thing for sure is thet left as it is it will only get worse as water seeps in. at the very least as a temporary measure to stop any more decay seal the crack with sikaflex before you use the boat.
Old 09 March 2009, 14:23   #6

Thanks for the many replies

Feeling a bit let down right now... As the boat was advertised as "Ready to go!".

From the information I've got, no work has been done on the transom after the boat was bought new from the factory. So if this is a fault with the construction, it was done this way by those who built the boat.
Going to contact the seller today. I think this is something that should have been pointed out to me, since you can't really not notice it.
Hopefully this will be solved in a friendly way.
Old 09 March 2009, 14:23   #7

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaoar View Post
I would really appreciate it if someone here with some experience could take a look at this and make a comment...
I would suggest that you contact Ribcraft directly for them to comment and advise
Old 09 March 2009, 15:01   #8

Good ide, Leapy. Just sent RibCraft an email.

For the record, not expecting anything from them. This is a second hand rib and they are in now way responsible for it, but it would be nice to get a comment from them on how to go about fixing this.

And... This is the coolest looking RIB I've ever seen, well, at least touched. Props to RibCraft!

I'm crossing my fingers for this to go well
Old 09 March 2009, 16:15   #9

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Could it not had have an alloy capping like the seariders do and some one had glassed over this, hence the crack along the top?
Old 09 March 2009, 16:20   #10

Town: Cornwall
I've got a much older Rib with almost identical damage although not quite as bad, I thought it had had its transom cut down but in view of what you've said perhaps not, its being looked at in the next few days so hopefully I'll be able to give you a cause.
Old 09 March 2009, 16:54   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
it's not a bad crack as they go It's not structural as such and can be easily fixed. Water ingress into the ply of the transom is your only real problem. that will be worse at the transom cutout tham anywhere else.

I'd be getting a 10 or 12 mm Spade or Forstner bit or a hole saw and drilling a couple of test holes in 10mm incremeneither side of the motor on the transom. If the sawdust is coming out nice and dry then that's lucky for you if it's soggy then go down another 10 mm and so on at least this gives you an idea of the scale of the problem.. I guess it's best to wait till after your communications with seller and manufacturer have ended, but I don't think it's goinfg to be too tricky to fix. the Ali cappinf idea is a good one i think By the way
Old 09 March 2009, 16:56   #12
Trade member

Town: Yeovil, Somerset
Boat name: Ribcraft1
Make: Ribcraft
Send a message via Skype™ to jace
quaoar, Sent You a PM
Manufacturers of Rigid Inflatable Boats, Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/ribcraft
jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2009, 17:03   #13

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Basically all my RIB's have had transom problems, i believe it is an oversight by all rib designers and manufacturers, although some say it's the way i drive 'em.

All have been easily repaired, and with no long term adverse effects. This has also always been inexpensive.

Yours is easily repaired, so don’t worry too much. It will, however, be an inconvenience.

For a boat builder, this is just a routine job - a bit like a hernia operation, frightening for patient, but routine for surgeon.
Old 09 March 2009, 18:48   #14

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Dorian/Jason/Charlie...Mark et al.
What is your view? Can you share it with other RC owners. Do we all have something to worry about?
Old 09 March 2009, 22:00   #15

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
If its a 2005 build and only used for leisure purposes then surelly the hull is guaranteed for 5 years from manufacture.
Old 09 March 2009, 22:22   #16

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
I dont know where you guys are coming from, Rogue, et al, , thats a structural defect in my book.... any day of the week ! A 6.5 with a 150 on the back is not overstressed by any margin.

Has the original owner reversed and caught the o/b leg on something underwater though ? might not be the boats fault, and knowing the maker, I doubt it,.. but I wouldn't be going to sea in it, thats for sure, as its very hard to tell the extent of the damage without a full strip down of the back end ,which is a serious work shop job .. dont ask me how I know
Old 10 March 2009, 06:10   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I dont know where you guys are coming from, Rogue, et al, , thats a structural defect in my book.... any day of the week ! A 6.5 with a 150 on the back is not overstressed by any margin.

Has the original owner reversed and caught the o/b leg on something underwater though ? might not be the boats fault, and knowing the maker, I doubt it,.. but I wouldn't be going to sea in it, thats for sure, as its very hard to tell the extent of the damage without a full strip down of the back end ,which is a serious work shop job .. dont ask me how I know
we must read different books then!

if the crack went from top to bottom i'd be very concerned, but I see that sort of crack as easy to fix and make stronger

If he can ge recourse from the manufacturer or vendor then right enough but if not and it's down to him to fix I think it's important that he doesn'y get tucked up by the boat repairer. Perish the thought
Old 10 March 2009, 07:50   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
we must read different books then!

if the crack went from top to bottom i'd be very concerned, but I see that sort of crack as easy to fix and make stronger

If he can ge recourse from the manufacturer or vendor then right enough but if not and it's down to him to fix I think it's important that he doesn'y get tucked up by the boat repairer. Perish the thought
I dont think our books are that different, since in my case the crack was from top to bottom, its just that you cant really tell without pulling it apart unfortunately

Tapping round about the stiffening knees should highlight some 'boss' areas if this is the case. I note that from the pics, the delamination is to the rear of the transom, where mine was to the front, however from quaoar's photographs it looks like all the damage is to the starboard side due to the effect of the engine offset .. which was exactly the same as mine, and suggests engine overloading of some kind or structural support weakness

*edit* At least the manufacturer has made some sort of representation already though
Old 10 March 2009, 09:05   #19

I have already received a message from someone at Ribcraft. If I had only been located in England I think this could be easily solved. I appreciate the fast response from them

Bigmuz7, the damage seem to cross the entire transom. The last image, is from the left side of the transom. You can see some tiny holes there, in the paint. I do not believe, not that I have much knowledge, that this problem is directly related to the engine. From what specifications I have got, the boat is rated for 125-225 HP engines. Original propeller is included with the addition of a steel propeller. If it was a damage from reversing into something, I think the engine or the propeller would show some damage.

A representative from a company building and repairing boats in Norway is coming over today to take a look at the boat. Paying him for an hour or two is worth the price I think. Hopefully he can give me some more information (and a price for the repair...).

Many thanks for the replies. I have to admit that I was quite shocked when I first saw the crack, and not sure what to do at first. Now things are moving forward.

And a final note...
The seller denies any knowledge of that crack...
So a lesson to be learned - always take a close look at the boat in person before buying second hand, and do it thoroughly
Old 10 March 2009, 09:25   #20

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I had some cracks in exactly the same places as yours, turns out that all it was, was the fibreglass coming away from the wooden transom core where the builder (BWM) didn't wrap over the top bonding the two sides together.

Gel coat is a very Hard coating and as such will flex a little but more often than not will crack due to it's hardness. So not always a terribly bad thing.

You are doing the right thing however by getting a professional to look at it. Grinding the top fibreglass back will reveal all they will want to know about the underside.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote