Old 25 May 2018, 00:00   #1

Length: 7m +
question for manufacturers

I was re reading up on regulations regarding navigation lights and came across this statement regarding boats under 12M and over 7m

"The masthead light or all round white may be less, than 2.5m above the gunwhale, but must be at least 1m higher than the side lights"

Which got me puzzled, why are there so many ribs in the UK (and other boats) manufactured which clearly don't meet this specification. Including my own a 7.5M cobra, the all round white light is clearly far less than 1M above the height of the nav lights port and starboard.

Any idea's
Old 25 May 2018, 06:27   #2

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
take them off or extend your white light
Old 25 May 2018, 07:04   #3

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Regs normally allow for “where practical”. I’ve not checked but won’t be making changes to my boat.
Old 25 May 2018, 07:44   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
take them off or extend your white light

Aye! What you need is some plastic waste pipe.............[emoji6]

I managed to "just" achieve(ish) the 1m separation by mounting the allround white on top of a short stub pole on top of the radar reflector
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	124938
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 07:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post

Which got me puzzled, why are there so many ribs in the UK (and other boats) manufactured which clearly don't meet this specification. Including my own a 7.5M cobra, the all round white light is clearly far less than 1M above the height of the nav lights port and starboard.

Because they are basically a fashion accessory! This is probably compounded by the fact that until you go commercial or something goes dramatically wrong there is absolutely no enforcement of boating standard in the UK. How close are your lights? Are they likely to cause confusion? Are the sidelights more likely to be seen in a bow up trim by being “too high”? Do you use your boat enough in the dark to worry about it?

Given all vessels should have a radar reflector (where practical) you might also ask the question why you can buy a 7.5m rib without one installed.
Old 25 May 2018, 08:46   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Because they are basically a fashion accessory! This is probably compounded by the fact that until you go commercial or something goes dramatically wrong there is absolutely no enforcement of boating standard in the UK. How close are your lights? Are they likely to cause confusion? Are the sidelights more likely to be seen in a bow up trim by being “too high”? Do you use your boat enough in the dark to worry about it?

Given all vessels should have a radar reflector (where practical) you might also ask the question why you can buy a 7.5m rib without one installed.

Another ( currently very pertinent[emoji849]) reason to get them as high as possible is they are actually a PITA at night in the dark. On the very rare occasions that we make "proper" night passages I.e. In pitch dark. We have the instruments dimmed as far as they will go down (still too bright), all un-necessary lights off. The nav lights still reflect off the console & god help you if you turn around, to see what's behind.
We did a 25nm night passage last year in Croatia through an archipelago of sparsely/un-inhabited islands. The only way to see the islands was by their skyline against the stars. You knew they were there by the plotter, but you couldn't see the buggers. I'd have quite happily turned off the nav lights if I hadn't got Mick & Bouncer in my wake.
The best lights for night work are the ones that are switched off imo.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 25 May 2018, 10:08   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The best lights for night work are the ones that are switched off imo.
I did a few night passages back in the day and I'd echo your thoughts. More recently I've had occasion to leave port in total darkness and the new boat turns out to be well rigged (by chance) for night-ops. The nav lights are outside the gantry at my shoulder and cannot be seen onboard. The anchor light is very high and is entirely blocked from the helm by the radome. The Lowrance kit has a useful night mode and the radar actually makes close in harbour work safer, in that the plotter doesn't really mean much in moorings, but the boats, buoys and structure all show very useful detail on radar. Previously I have had the issue of the anchor light gleaming on the console to the extent that I taped off a slim forward "sector" with duct tape to reduce it. Naughty, but the nav lights would have been covering that sector and my night vision was maintained.

I know what Pikey means, but for other readers in the future - when in company afloat at night, best avoid the path of the lead boat - an MOB or sudden stop can be disastrous.
Old 25 May 2018, 10:33   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

I know what Pikey means, but for other readers in the future - when in company afloat at night, best avoid the path of the lead boat - an MOB or sudden stop can be disastrous.

I wasn't being literal [emoji849] he was off to my stbd side slightly astern.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:27   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I wasn't being literal [emoji849] he was off to my stbd side slightly astern.
See, like I said - I know that....