Old 22 February 2009, 18:44   #1

Town: South Carolina
Boat name: n/a
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: TBD
Question about powering a Rib.

Hello, this is my first post on ribnet. I have had a SIB for years now, but have always wanted a Rib. I have recently acquired an 2001 Zodiac Yachtline 340R Rib. First off, I know by all standards this is a crappy rib at best. This rib is honestly almost mint. The owner only used it as a tender and then kept it stored indoors under cover 3/4's of the year. The tubes hold air for days and the seams appear solid. My question is about what outboard I want to use on this Rib. I plan on installing a small center console with a cooler seat in it and only taking 4 passengers Max. I am hoping to do some skiing and wakeboarding with it in addition to cruising. The max HP rating is 25HP. I know I will want more HP than this for tow sports and speed though and I don't mind putting fake decals on a larger motor. I have found a very good deal in my area on a 2006 Yamaha 50hp Two stroke(3 cyl) that only weighs 189lbs. I am interested if anyone has ever exceeded the recommended HP on a RIB and also if anyone thinks this setup would be alright? I would have to put a jack plate on the transom to accommodate the long shaft of the Yamaha. I also heard that these small ribs are intended for use with tiller outboards(hence the low HP rating) for safety. Opinions? Is this just too much weight for this boat? I would have the weight forward since I would have a center console nearly at the front of the boat. Thanks in advance.
-Jim
Old 22 February 2009, 18:54   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Welcome to Ribnet

IF you do it, you're crazy and the boat will be dangerous. Fake stickers with that much HP difference will only fool the gullible and stupid.

Sell it and buy something bigger.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 19:33   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'd have to agree. 25hp on a 3m RIB will seem pretty fast (my first boat had a 6 and that felt fast!). 50 is far too much for such a small boat.
Old 22 February 2009, 19:49   #4

Town: South Carolina
Boat name: n/a
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: TBD
Thanks guys...I think I just needed to hear it. I'll stick with the 30Hp I had orginally planned.
Old 22 February 2009, 20:13   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't listen to them they are all wimps!!!

Williams do a jet rib 2.85m with 72hp. They also do a 3.25m with 98hp!!! They do about 45kts.

http://www.williamsjettenders.com/wi...ettenders.html

Avon also do a similar range.

A 3.2m with 104hp.

http://www.boat-finder.net/1380/details.php

of course wether your transom will take the weight is another matter but if it will take a 30hp 4 stroke it may well take a 50hp 2 stroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38716idx_AvonSe320JetSC11.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	40629  
Old 22 February 2009, 20:15   #6

Forget putting a jack plate or a long shaft on it though - the light weight won't last long with all that extra stuff on it.
Old 22 February 2009, 20:17   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Codprawn, with respect those work being inboards with the weight in the centre of the boat. And of course the boat being designed for it.

Actualy as you've eluded to, hanging all that weight and power off the transom will make it handle like a pig, if the transom doesn't get ripped off first.

By the way, I understand that's a bit to sensible for me usually, I've over-engined two boats now.
I rebuilt the transom on my Force 4 and put a 55HP triple on it, making it VERY fast in a straight line, but far too tail heavy. My current Ocean is only really rated to 175HP, but again the 200HP Suzi on it makes it fast but tail heavy. I've also strengthened the transom on it significantly.

Nasher
Old 22 February 2009, 20:26   #8

I know that but the HP itself is not the problem which is the point I was making.

Then again IF the transom is strong enough and IF the console is far enough forward it could work. In fairness a 25/30hp 4 stroke is the same weight as a 40/50hp 2 stroke.

Then again the Zodiac leisure range probably aren't the toughest out there......

It's amazing just how bloated modern engines have become. I saw an old 175hp Mariner 2 stroke the other day - it looked the same size as a modern 60hp!!!
Old 22 February 2009, 21:10   #9

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
So true.

Look at the size of your DT225EFI and my DT200EFI, which both weigh @200Kgs, and are @10yrs old. Then look at a modern 200, physicaly they now look much bigger.

Nasher