Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 March 2013, 10:18   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
My thoughts are how do we know if boat and trailer have been stolen recently and owner has not reported it, easy to have a trailer plate made to look legit. I think most people would be more peed off if there lovely rib was taken rather than having to stop for a check. If your car is taken off your drive overnight it won't be reported till u wake and phone to report so must be same as a boat,
So ok to not stop cars unless reported stolen , I am happy to have checks done , maybe we would see more boats recovered as we always shout when we post another boat stolen by a scum bag
Old 16 March 2013, 11:14   #22

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
The police told me not to even try getting a plate done without registration documents in order as its an offence on behalf of the business doing them (this was Glasgow central police) only doing as was told.
But i could of took the rear plate off the Land Rover and fixed that to the trailer.
Old 16 March 2013, 11:35   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryesd View Post
The police told me not to even try getting a plate done without registration documents in order as its an offence on behalf of the business doing them (this was Glasgow central police) only doing as was told.
But i could of took the rear plate off the Land Rover and fixed that to the trailer.
OK - it appears the rest of the UK may have "caught up"? Is it really that long since I last got a plate made up?

Registration of number plate suppliers to be extended to Scotland and Northern Ireland

HOWEVER you don't need the V5 in your name and the new owners slip that you keep when you send the V5 to DVLA would be enough...

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number...plates-made-up
Old 16 March 2013, 11:43   #24

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp Outboard
Doug, Thomas and Portholme let's just hope it's your boats that get nicked then shall we?
Unbelievable, totally unbelievable. Bet you would be the first to complain when you find out 5 Police cars have driven right by your stolen pride and joy as its towed off by the crook.
Old 16 March 2013, 11:45   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
QUALITY CUSTOM CAR NUMBER PLATES AND SHOW PLATES | eBay

I have regular bought mine for horse and boat trailers from similar people to these above and they are aimed at show plates which is I suppose how they work around , but you can order QUALITY UK ROAD LEGAL CAR NUMBER PLATES, | eBay from them?

The issue here is whether you would be stopped for a plate made up from these people or to see if boat was nicked. I hope it would be for boat that may be nicked and as I said earlier the owner has no idea it has been taken as it went from a compound by the sea and you live up country. Stop boat and horse trailers all you like and catch some scum bags stealing from all of us and increasing our boat insurances
Old 16 March 2013, 12:08   #26

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
QUALITY CUSTOM CAR NUMBER PLATES AND SHOW PLATES | eBay

I have regular bought mine for horse and boat trailers from similar people to these above and they are aimed at show plates which is I suppose how they work around , but you can order QUALITY UK ROAD LEGAL CAR NUMBER PLATES, | eBay from them?

The issue here is whether you would be stopped for a plate made up from these people or to see if boat was nicked. I hope it would be for boat that may be nicked and as I said earlier the owner has no idea it has been taken as it went from a compound by the sea and you live up country. Stop boat and horse trailers all you like and catch some scum bags stealing from all of us and increasing our boat insurances
+1. I too get my trailer plates this way & can't see a difference !!
Happy to get a tug off the law if it stops a theft anywhere.
Old 16 March 2013, 12:13   #27

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
I was very surprised that only having my land rover 3 days & my new RIB an hour they didnt ask questions.The fact i had phoned and put all paperwork in order before setting off seemed to surfice, they seemed to me to already know all the details, so i was quite happy they knew i was legit, and one of them was already half way through writing out the ticket for not showing number plate.
I think they had checked whether it came up stolen before stopping me. Glasgow police on the ball.
Old 16 March 2013, 13:11   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We were in the ferry queue at Portsmouth a few years ago waiting to get across to France. The police stopped us & asked to see our passports, & all the boat docs. which I fortunately had with me. They were pleasant, polite (why shouldn't they be) when I enquired as to their interest, they told us that they were spot checking boats & caravans leaving the country in an attempt to cut down on nicked ones disappearing to the continent. I didn't have a problem at all & hope it continues. We can't complain about boats getting stolen & then bitch when the police try & do something about it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 13:37   #29

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Just out of interest, how did you prove you owned the boat
That was the tricky bit. Luckily I had the radio license with me which had my name and address etc and a description/name of the boat. Not exactly 100% proof but I'd have to be a pretty prepared thief to have that.

Interesting how different the views of folks are on this. Having had an engine stolen before I'd be pretty happy if I was pulled every time I went out on the boat, I was only stopped for maybe 3-5 minutes and the officer was polite and friendly. I'd happily go through it on a regular basis if it meant a significant drop in the numbers of out boats going missing.

The worst bit was the prying eyes of other passing motorists looking on in judgement, they almost made me feel like I had nicked it! lol
Old 16 March 2013, 13:43   #30

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
The Dail Mail, c'mon, give me some credit

BBC News - Essex Chief Constable condemns burglar caution

Ajstars, I'm allowed my opinion without you wishing my boat stolen.
Old 16 March 2013, 15:42   #31

Town: southampton
Quote:
When you order a "show plate" from the interweb they give you the option of have something written at the bottom. Usually this space is taken up by the dealer’s details on car plates. If you have the boat details put here (like make and name) and it's carrying the tow cars number, this although not legal proof goes a long way to prove the legitimacy of the rig. And it looks cool
Old 16 March 2013, 16:45   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
now I've just read that burglars are only getting cautions when they're caught
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The Dail Mail, c'mon, give me some credit

BBC News - Essex Chief Constable condemns burglar caution
Well it was misquoting for your own agenda on the scale that the DM would usually use, but I suppose "Now I've just read that a Chief Constable reported three of his own officers to the professional standards department" probably wouldn't have the same ring to it - or are you under a misaprehension that police offers are human beings and therefore able to make mistakes / errors of judgement?

That said without all the facts it may be wrong to prejudge the situation. A police caution at least ensures a conviction - if the evidence is ropey or inadmissible then it may be "better" that going to court and "loosing".
Old 16 March 2013, 17:23   #33

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
The French customs and police are keen on proof of ownership as well. Those times I've been asked for my papers they have been more interested in registration documents than passports or SSRs.
Old 16 March 2013, 17:29   #34

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
SSR certificate could be handy for such occasions.
Old 16 March 2013, 18:26   #35

Town: Cornwall
It wasn't me guv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
That's really good to hear-where were you stopped?

The officer didn't say he owned a Searider did he?
No it wasn't me. But I'm pleased my colleagues are getting the message.

Thank you for the majority support for our efforts to make an impact on what is a significant issue to us all.

To those who have a differing view. I respect it entirely and wish you no misfortune because of it. There are all sorts of reasons, some of them valid, why some may have a differing view.

But if you visit Cornwall towing a boat please expect to be checked. I make no apology for carrying out one of my primary functions which is the prevention and detection of crime.

If I happen to check you going about your lawful business and I cause you any inconvenience or delay you will have my unreserved apology. I'll not only have wasted your time but mine as well. Albeit always happy to spend time with like minded people.

It is my personal view though that any rancour ought to be directed towards those who make it necessary to carry out such checks i.e. those who would steal from us rather than those doing their best to prevent and detect it. Don't get me wrong dealing with those who have a chip on their shoulder goes with the territory, is water of a ducks back and also sometimes extremely entertaining and interesting.

If the fact that it becomes known that we will carry out such checks in Cornwall deters just one individual with nefarious intentions then I'll be glad.

Don't get too hung up on how you prove the boat is yours (its our job to prove it's not, your help in doing so is always welcome and speeds things up). Those of us who have done this for a day or two will soon draw a conclusion by talking with you and soaking up all the many clues.

How am I doing so far this year? Just the one stolen SIB and outboard recovered, two individuals of Eastern European origin charged to Court and two locals intercepted afloat in the dead of night in February and prevented from thieving on my patch in South East Cornwall. But then it's still early on in the year. I know that the victims were well made up and that's good enough for me and extremely satisfying.

Regards and take care of it.
Old 17 March 2013, 07:50   #36

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Nice post Kraken
Old 17 March 2013, 08:56   #37

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapy View Post
nice post kraken
+1 :-)
Old 17 March 2013, 09:50   #38

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Nice post Kraken
Couldn't agree more.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:36   #39

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Engine: 225hp Outboard
Kraken, I'm with you on that. We bear the brunt of the anger towards those who get away with it when we do our best to prevent it. For the small amount of time it takes do do the checks some would think we have caused them such insult and delay that they feel it acceptable to blame us and be less than polite to us. Reaction to a crime is one thing but surely prevention is another.
I just ask if you ever get stopped by the Police then have a little patience and try to encompass the bigger picture. You are not being singled out or accused, we are trying to protect you. We will always be polite and tolerant, please show us the same respect.
Old 17 March 2013, 11:55   #40
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken999 View Post
Don't get too hung up on how you prove the boat is yours (its our job to prove it's not, your help in doing so is always welcome and speeds things up). Those of us who have done this for a day or two will soon draw a conclusion by talking with you and soaking up all the many clues.
Any advice on what would help prove ownership?

We have club boats and I think I would struggle to prove ownership or for an officer to find suitable evidence.

Chris

Tags
rib