Old 16 March 2013, 06:18   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
My thoughts are how do we know if boat and trailer have been stolen recently and owner has not reported it, easy to have a trailer plate made to look legit. I think most people would be more peed off if there lovely rib was taken rather than having to stop for a check. If your car is taken off your drive overnight it won't be reported till u wake and phone to report so must be same as a boat,
So ok to not stop cars unless reported stolen , I am happy to have checks done , maybe we would see more boats recovered as we always shout when we post another boat stolen by a scum bag
Old 16 March 2013, 07:14   #22

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
The police told me not to even try getting a plate done without registration documents in order as its an offence on behalf of the business doing them (this was Glasgow central police) only doing as was told.
But i could of took the rear plate off the Land Rover and fixed that to the trailer.

Old 16 March 2013, 07:35   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryesd View Post
The police told me not to even try getting a plate done without registration documents in order as its an offence on behalf of the business doing them (this was Glasgow central police) only doing as was told.
But i could of took the rear plate off the Land Rover and fixed that to the trailer.
OK - it appears the rest of the UK may have "caught up"? Is it really that long since I last got a plate made up?

Registration of number plate suppliers to be extended to Scotland and Northern Ireland

HOWEVER you don't need the V5 in your name and the new owners slip that you keep when you send the V5 to DVLA would be enough...

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number...plates-made-up
Old 16 March 2013, 07:43   #24

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp Outboard
Doug, Thomas and Portholme let's just hope it's your boats that get nicked then shall we?
Unbelievable, totally unbelievable. Bet you would be the first to complain when you find out 5 Police cars have driven right by your stolen pride and joy as its towed off by the crook.
Old 16 March 2013, 07:45   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
QUALITY CUSTOM CAR NUMBER PLATES AND SHOW PLATES | eBay

I have regular bought mine for horse and boat trailers from similar people to these above and they are aimed at show plates which is I suppose how they work around , but you can order QUALITY UK ROAD LEGAL CAR NUMBER PLATES, | eBay from them?

The issue here is whether you would be stopped for a plate made up from these people or to see if boat was nicked. I hope it would be for boat that may be nicked and as I said earlier the owner has no idea it has been taken as it went from a compound by the sea and you live up country. Stop boat and horse trailers all you like and catch some scum bags stealing from all of us and increasing our boat insurances
Old 16 March 2013, 08:08   #26

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
QUALITY CUSTOM CAR NUMBER PLATES AND SHOW PLATES | eBay

I have regular bought mine for horse and boat trailers from similar people to these above and they are aimed at show plates which is I suppose how they work around , but you can order QUALITY UK ROAD LEGAL CAR NUMBER PLATES, | eBay from them?

The issue here is whether you would be stopped for a plate made up from these people or to see if boat was nicked. I hope it would be for boat that may be nicked and as I said earlier the owner has no idea it has been taken as it went from a compound by the sea and you live up country. Stop boat and horse trailers all you like and catch some scum bags stealing from all of us and increasing our boat insurances
+1. I too get my trailer plates this way & can't see a difference !!
Happy to get a tug off the law if it stops a theft anywhere.
Old 16 March 2013, 08:13   #27

Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
I was very surprised that only having my land rover 3 days & my new RIB an hour they didnt ask questions.The fact i had phoned and put all paperwork in order before setting off seemed to surfice, they seemed to me to already know all the details, so i was quite happy they knew i was legit, and one of them was already half way through writing out the ticket for not showing number plate.
I think they had checked whether it came up stolen before stopping me. Glasgow police on the ball.
Old 16 March 2013, 09:11   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We were in the ferry queue at Portsmouth a few years ago waiting to get across to France. The police stopped us & asked to see our passports, & all the boat docs. which I fortunately had with me. They were pleasant, polite (why shouldn't they be) when I enquired as to their interest, they told us that they were spot checking boats & caravans leaving the country in an attempt to cut down on nicked ones disappearing to the continent. I didn't have a problem at all & hope it continues. We can't complain about boats getting stolen & then bitch when the police try & do something about it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 09:37   #29

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Just out of interest, how did you prove you owned the boat
That was the tricky bit. Luckily I had the radio license with me which had my name and address etc and a description/name of the boat. Not exactly 100% proof but I'd have to be a pretty prepared thief to have that.

Interesting how different the views of folks are on this. Having had an engine stolen before I'd be pretty happy if I was pulled every time I went out on the boat, I was only stopped for maybe 3-5 minutes and the officer was polite and friendly. I'd happily go through it on a regular basis if it meant a significant drop in the numbers of out boats going missing.

The worst bit was the prying eyes of other passing motorists looking on in judgement, they almost made me feel like I had nicked it! lol
Old 16 March 2013, 09:43   #30

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
The Dail Mail, c'mon, give me some credit

BBC News - Essex Chief Constable condemns burglar caution

Ajstars, I'm allowed my opinion without you wishing my boat stolen.

Tags
rib