Old 06 May 2015, 17:51   #41

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
I tried to book a dive with them last September while we were touring the area. Not very helpful or friendly I'm afraid!
Old 06 May 2015, 18:10   #42

Town: Oban
Length: no boat
I'm always in the area as I stay in Oban. If anyone want company then just give me a shout.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1430935759.091140.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	105133
Old 06 May 2015, 18:59   #43

hopefully meet up with Doug in a few weeks, will be ideal.

west coaster, will keep that in mind.

cheers
Old 06 May 2015, 20:46   #44

Length: 3m +
If what they say is true - that they are making no money from selling fuel, possibly from launching fees etc* then I suspect they don't care if people go to Tesco and cause them less hassle. They don't need their non-profitable repeat business. I suspect the money is in courses for them so they don't really care about ribnobbers. I also suspect they have some premium services that people avoid paying for (self service air fill vs serviced) and then when the customer needs help they feel like they are just avoiding the costs. That may not have been the customer's intent, but often the problem when you offer a bodge it yourself or fully serviced solution.

*I suspect that all depends how you cut the maths up. I assume if you want a delivery of petrol to your petrol pump you call the refinery people and say bring me 2000 litres of petrol and they say that'll be £1 per litre and a £400 delivery charge. So you then take £2000 + £400 and say that 2000litres = £2400 which is £1.20 a litre. I assume you then take the cost of maintaining the pump, training staff etc over the year. If thats £2000 a year and you sell 10,000 litres a year you can add another 20p per litre. Then there are card payment costs etc.

**But** I could cut the economics differently. If they NEED petrol at the pump for their own uses then they were always going to have a number of those overheads. Yes pumping more fuel may increase maintenance needs etc. They may need fewer trained staff. There would be no card processing. But their fuel would go stale as less turnover so there are some benefits to be had.
Old 06 May 2015, 21:23   #45

still doesn't mean you should be a tool towards customers though surely?!?

they would have made over 3 figures from me over 3 days easily, not a lot i know but imagine if a lot of peeps went, only takes 10 and you just stuck a grand in the till for a weekend.

cheers
Old 06 May 2015, 22:06   #46

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If what they say is true - that they are making no money from selling fuel, possibly from launching fees etc* then I suspect they don't care if people go to Tesco and cause them less hassle. They don't need their non-profitable repeat business. I suspect the money is in courses for them so they don't really care about ribnobbers. I also suspect they have some premium services that people avoid paying for (self service air fill vs serviced) and then when the customer needs help they feel like they are just avoiding the costs. That may not have been the customer's intent, but often the problem when you offer a bodge it yourself or fully serviced solution.

*I suspect that all depends how you cut the maths up. I assume if you want a delivery of petrol to your petrol pump you call the refinery people and say bring me 2000 litres of petrol and they say that'll be £1 per litre and a £400 delivery charge. So you then take £2000 + £400 and say that 2000litres = £2400 which is £1.20 a litre. I assume you then take the cost of maintaining the pump, training staff etc over the year. If thats £2000 a year and you sell 10,000 litres a year you can add another 20p per litre. Then there are card payment costs etc.

**But** I could cut the economics differently. If they NEED petrol at the pump for their own uses then they were always going to have a number of those overheads. Yes pumping more fuel may increase maintenance needs etc. They may need fewer trained staff. There would be no card processing. But their fuel would go stale as less turnover so there are some benefits to be had.

Good analysis as always but why do you have to explain , why cant they . I run a tree surgery business and get asked how much I sell logs for .
It's a question I hate being asked because there is wet soft wood being sold as seasoned hard wood and any way I don't advertise that I sell logs as I have a small few regular well informed customers that out strip my supply . Having said all that I would never be rude to them as manners don't cost and of course they may be a customer wanting tree work in the future .

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 07 May 2015, 15:28   #47

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
At ERR one RIB a Delta was recovered by a Vito van - not the best off road vehicle.

Tony
.....and I got my rib up the beach with a Mondeo and no wheelslip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Linnhe Marine (a bit further north than Ardoran but have the advantage of not being in a loch) were very good to us last year. He'll launch you with his JCB, let you a mooring, and there's free use of a tender to go out and get your boat. Fairly rough and ready but cheap and a really nice bloke.
+1.

Granted Linnhe puts you a good hour north of Easdale at 20 odd knots in the Rib, so probably not a lot of use for an ERR repeat (unless you do it in reverse & stop at Easdale for Lunch!!!).

It's only "issue" is the lack of petrol, but if you have gerry cans or portable tanks a short drive southwards is Gunn's garage. Not Tesco Price, but another helpful, friendly bloke.

(and if you plan to launch there and are coming form the south it's quicker & arguably easier driving going via Glencoe)
Old 07 May 2015, 17:56   #48

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I have certainly used Linnhe Marina a few times in the past and met nothing but helpful and courteous staff there. It is a small marina but easy access.

The slipway is suitable for yachts .. so a RIB should have few problems.

Lismore is very close ... and while a fast RIB will pass the lovely Island of Lismore in 3 minutes flat .. it is worth taking some time to explore its coastline and ruined castles...

Or walk up busy Port Ramsey High Street where you can collect some of the best Clappy Doo’s (large muscles) in Scotland off the shore for free

The reefs and small Islands off the north of Lismore are worth a lunch stop too. My small hardshell boat is on the beach of Eilean nan Caorach..it was once site to a large Lime Kiln ..but is now deserted.

If you think the photo looks vaguely familiar.. the Boat Manufacturer has my permission to use this photo to advertise their Highlander Family Fisherman model.

If I had the dark blue version ...I would have called it “Dark Gravy” after my favourite medicine...Im not really a wine drinker

I will save you from my photos of Puffins..although I have one or two of them too
Old 07 May 2015, 18:08   #49
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Granted Linnhe puts you a good hour north of Easdale at 20 odd knots in the Rib, so probably not a lot of use for an ERR repeat (unless you do it in reverse & stop at Easdale for Lunch!!!).
you need a faster boat... You'd be there in half the time 😃
Quote:
It's only "issue" is the lack of petrol, but if you have gerry cans or portable tanks a short drive southwards is Gunn's garage.
They advertise petrol, although they have no pump. I suspect they will sell you jerry cans full if needed!
Old 07 May 2015, 18:32   #50

I've seen it mentioned on here about 'tesco price' when it comes to petrol comparisons.

Fair 'nuff re price, but my thoughts are I wouldn't put it in my car, why would I want to put it in my outboard?

Their petrol is notoriously rank. Hence the price.
Old 07 May 2015, 18:50   #51

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert hates h2o View Post
Their petrol is notoriously rank. Hence the price.
I heard their burgers were pretty rank for a while too.. bits of horse shoe in them

Im a Morrison man myself..tasty burgers ..and I enjoy a tin of their petrol..its not too expensive either

Old 07 May 2015, 20:43   #52

Meh, no widget...