Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 July 2013, 16:33   #11
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Thanks all, much appreciated. How realistic is it for me to get round from Salcombe to Dartmouth in a 4.3m? Anything in particular I need to be aware of (hazard wise, local wind/tide considerations)?
No problem just pick a nice weather window and it will be no problem
__________________

__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 16:38   #12
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
No problem just pick a nice weather window and it will be no problem
Thanks Nick
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 16:45   #13
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Thanks Nick
You will know if you are happy with condition by the time you get to Prawle Pt and Start Pt can be a bit lively.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	82915  
__________________
Member of the Ribeye supporters club!!!
Member of Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Member of SR4 club
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:03   #14
RMS
Member
 
RMS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS
Thanks all, much appreciated. How realistic is it for me to get round from Salcombe to Dartmouth in a 4.3m? Anything in particular I need to be aware of (hazard wise, local wind/tide considerations)?
Im in Salcombe from Friday for a week and planning a trip round to Dartmouth. Also Pow2gran (Nick) is about and has been in touch. We can find a decent day and have a trip round?
__________________
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:23   #15
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Im in Salcombe from Friday for a week and planning a trip round to Dartmouth. Also Pow2gran (Nick) is about and has been in touch. We can find a decent day and have a trip round?
Yep, I'm up for that, and would be good to make the trip in company. Do you want to exchange mobile numbers via PM?
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:34   #16
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
You will know if you are happy with condition by the time you get to Prawle Pt and Start Pt can be a bit lively.
Best to give Start Point a fairly wide berth I assume?
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:41   #17
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,830
The straight line route between Dartmouth and Salcombe isn't recommended!
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:44   #18
Member
 
pow2gran's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Just Looking
Make: Ribcraft 5.85
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post

Yep, I'm up for that, and would be good to make the trip in company. Do you want to exchange mobile numbers via PM?
PM sent. See you in Salcombe!
__________________
pow2gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:44   #19
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Thanks all, much appreciated. How realistic is it for me to get round from Salcombe to Dartmouth in a 4.3m? Anything in particular I need to be aware of (hazard wise, local wind/tide considerations)?
As always check the weather / sea conditions.
The waters around Start Point are tricky - large tidal race especially with wind v. tide, but OK if you keep close in. I'd time it not to hit mid tide. The Range (approaches to Dartmouth) can be very uncomfortable in a smaller boat with a nasty chop in certain conditions too.
Prevailing wind is SW straight up Start Bay, and gets lumpy against tide.

If you want to explore the Dart and the area to Brixham, consider towing to Dartmouth & launching from there for the day, might be easier than slogging round the Start - depending on how much challenge you want!
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 17:51   #20
NSS
RIBnet supporter
 
NSS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: cariboo too
Make: WB Generation 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
As always check the weather / sea conditions.
The waters around Start Point are tricky - large tidal race especially with wind v. tide, but OK if you keep close in. I'd time it not to hit mid tide. The Range (approaches to Dartmouth) can be very uncomfortable in a smaller boat with a nasty chop in certain conditions too.
Prevailing wind is SW straight up Start Bay, and gets lumpy against tide.

If you want to explore the Dart and the area to Brixham, consider towing to Dartmouth & launching from there for the day, might be easier than slogging round the Start - depending on how much challenge you want!
Okay, appreciate the heads up. Towing round is an option if the weather/conditions look iffy. Any suggestions for a public slip there?
__________________
NSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.