Old 25 April 2006, 09:30   #1

Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Prudence and Speed

I am intrigued by the issues of how powerful an engine it is safe / prudent / wise even to put on a given hull.

When I bought my Solent, I was advised by the builder that a 150 Opti would be prefect and more than adequate for my needs. True, I was a newbie at the time, but I have taken her to exciting places (yes, I remember Ryde Sands, but don't forget coming back from Brighton or October off the Needles) and have found the engine more than adequate.

Granted, I don't pull water skiers or toys.

I can get 38 knots six up with a full tank of fuel. I can get 45 knots with two people on board and half a tank of fuel. Both averages over two directions so these are real GPS averages.

I use 1.1 lites per nautical mile, and seem to average that almost whatever I do.

Now the Jackeens have a larger engine and essentially a two occasional four seat set up. And oogopach now has an Etec 200 HO; faster still.

In a recent thread the Jackeen's boat was reported at 53 knots, and oogopatch was at 59 knots.

And remember, this is in a 6.5M rib.

Am I missing something or is it 'just' jealousy!!!!

Old 25 April 2006, 09:49   #2

Town: London
Boat name: XLR8
Engine: Etec 200HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
I am intrigued by the issues of how powerful an engine it is safe / prudent / wise even to put on a given hull.

When I bought my Solent, I was advised by the builder that a 150 Opti would be prefect and more than adequate for my needs. True, I was a newbie at the time, but I have taken her to exciting places (yes, I remember Ryde Sands, but don't forget coming back from Brighton or October off the Needles) and have found the engine more than adequate.

Granted, I don't pull water skiers or toys.

I can get 38 knots six up with a full tank of fuel. I can get 45 knots with two people on board and half a tank of fuel. Both averages over two directions so these are real GPS averages.

I use 1.1 lites per nautical mile, and seem to average that almost whatever I do.

Now the Jackeens have a larger engine and essentially a two occasional four seat set up. And oogopach now has an Etec 200 HO; faster still.

In a recent thread the Jackeen's boat was reported at 53 knots, and oogopatch was at 59 knots.

And remember, this is in a 6.5M rib.

Am I missing something or is it 'just' jealousy!!!!

Bruce,

I think your set up is probably perfect for what you wanted and the advice from Solent was and I think still is right.

My build specification and outline was for a "white knuckle" ride. I was really looking for a fast stable Rib that would get the adrenalin flowing when I wanted or felt the need.

I looked at a number of other boats and hulls, and settled on Solent for a number of reasons.

1) They could build me a boat that could be customised to the HO engine
2) Their Hull was the right one for my personal requirements having tested many.
3) They were prepared to build a boat around large engine rather than other way round.
4) The people were open, honest and professional.

With the higher engine spec comes higher running costs, etc etc etc...

So who has the better faster sexier boat??

That's not the issue. Each of our boats does for us what we want and thats what it's all about surely?

If you want to go for a spin then let me know and I will PM you details.

Old 25 April 2006, 09:55   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I think personally I would avoid a hugely powerful one, at least until I get a lot more experience, on the basis that I would probably get carried away and either kill myself or wreck it (or both)!

If the power is there then the temptation must be to use it

The only serious "pro" thought I have on getting a more powerful motor is that it could run the boat at any given sensible speed with a lot less effort and therefore surely greater reliability. Also that it might be slightly less horribly thirsty at say 30 knots than the one I have at the moment! Best fuel economy on mine seems to be about 18-20kt but that is a bit boring in smooth conditions, however 30kt uses about four times as much fuel....

When I win 38 million on the lottery on the other hand, anything is probable
Old 25 April 2006, 11:05   #4

Town: Aylesbury/Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Engine: 150hp Optimax
MMSI: 235021048
Just to confirm, I am not 'getting at' Solent for poor advice, nor am I 'getting at' oogopach for having a sexier engine. Actually, I am more concerned that others on the forum will be encouraged to over order an engine and kill themselves or someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I love Farfetched and her engine. The hull is just fantastic. Even if the lottery happened I wouldn't change her
Old 25 April 2006, 13:19   #5

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
On the other hand we're finding a 30 knots cruising speed a bit slow...

Top's out at 38 knots but being a diesel not supposed to redline it too often
Old 25 April 2006, 13:39   #6

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
When you are new to ribbing you are given adviceand always air on the side of caution i bought 4 different types of boats with different set ups second hand .I found the dealers always (i think cost came into it) always seem to put smaller engines on.Maybe its good business so the sell another engine later more fitting profit on part exchange.I know countless people who have soon outgrown their original engine.It may be also that a lot of customers are idiots and the dealers are being responsible.You should buy the biggest engine both your pocket and boat can take i did on my last boat and no regrets
Old 25 April 2006, 15:00   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A lot depends on the conditions you go out in - if you want really high speeds you may as well stick to a hard boat. Something like a Fletcher or Ring 21 will do 70mph and is FAR cheaper than a new RIB.

RIBs are best in the rough - if 40kts feels slow on a flat calm day it certainly won't feel slow in a Force 7.....

I would normally try to go for the biggest engine option - you can always throttle back and save fuel.
Old 25 April 2006, 15:04   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I am in agreement with the Codmeister!

I am feeling the need to buy a Hardboat!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2006, 15:08   #9
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I am in agreement with the Codmeister!

I am feeling the need to buy a Hardboat!
Got one! Just under 50mph with a 70hp, all newer than year 2000, cost, under 4k. Point me in the direction of a rib that will do that!
Old 25 April 2006, 15:18   #10

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Average crusing speed

What is people's average cruising speed. Quick Exit seems comfortable at 35/6 knots doing about 4500 rpm, to break 42 knots we need to be doing 5500 rpm. But I'm finding I just want to go flat out all the time. Is this just newbie enthusiasm?

That's why I've been thinking about changing props etc, to squeeze some extra knots.