Old 12 January 2007, 06:11   #21

Town: Ardmore
Boat name: Wavehopper
Make: Cobra 6.65 HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150 hpdi
Thanks guys for the interesting aside! ... but I could still do with some advice on the accepted ways of purchasing .... bearing in mind I don't use credit-cards

Old 12 January 2007, 06:26   #22
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Drive over and save yourself time. That's what I did.

Just drove over with cash, but of course told the seller that i'd be doing a bank transfer (Don't want some stranger knowing you have lots of cash in your pocket). Then when you like the boat and want to buy it, whip out the cash and start haggling

Old 12 January 2007, 07:11   #23

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Then when you like the boat and want to buy it, whip out the cash and start haggling
then bring the boat back with you so that you have physical possession of it as soon as you hand over the notes and getta receipt-we have been stopped twice by the police on the way to the ferry terminal whilst towing boats. They were on the look out for stolen boats etc being taken over the water. So some proof of identity and a recpt is not a bad idea and saves a lot of time.
Old 12 January 2007, 07:13   #24
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
then bring the boat back with you so that you have physical possession of it as soon as you hand over the notes and getta receipt-we have been stopped twice by the police on the way to the ferry terminal whilst towing boats. They were on the look out for stolen boats etc being taken over the water. So some proof of identity and a recpt is not a bad idea and saves a lot of time.
Of course take the boat with you there and then! Hence why I said to just drive over in the first place. The thing I wouldn't trust with leaving a deposit, and going back to Ireland for your jeep is that some bit's could be removed in the meantime.

Get a receipt with the signature of the seller! I had no problems coming back on the Ferry but you make a good point, Police could be on the lookout for stolen boats being transported
Old 12 January 2007, 07:17   #25

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Trouble with cash is how the hell do you know it is not counterfeit?
I would not let a boat go till I knew I had the money in the bank!
Sold my rib B4 Christmas & had the chap pay by debit card when he picked it up, but then you do have to have access to a card machine!
He told me he would pay by a bankers draft when he collected, but how do you know it is not counterfeit ether?
Old 12 January 2007, 07:20   #26

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Trouble with cash is how the hell do you know it is not counterfeit?
I would not let a boat go till I knew I had the money in the bank!
Sold my rib B4 Christmas & had the chap pay by debit card when he picked it up, but then you do have to have access to a card machine!
He told me he would pay by a bankers draft when he collected, but how do you know it is not counterfeit ether?

Bankers Drafts are NOT secure. If it's cash go with buyer to Bank and pay it in then and there. Tellers will check notes.....
Old 12 January 2007, 08:38   #27

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
I think the exact arrangements will depend on who you're buying from.

A dealer or manufacturer selling new boats is likely to have a more set routine than an indiividual selling their own boat.

Would seem fair to say
Sea trial
Agreement + deposit
Cleared payment before/on collection

If you're buying new, agree a definite delivery date (although force majeure can still cover backsides) and agree ALL the items to be installed. Don't assume that because it's on the demo boat it will appear on yours.

I'm sure you'll gather from the forum the firms you might want to deal with.

With credit cards, you don't need to pay the full amount on the card to get protection against all of it. So you could just pay a deposit (at least 100) on your card and the rest some other way. This is for UK issued cards - don't know what the law is in Ireland.
Old 12 January 2007, 09:18   #28

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
No deposit with mine
I told the broker i would buy the boat subject to all the usual stuff, Then a few days later went to the bank and did a electonic transfer of funds, then he gave me the keys!!
Easy...
Old 12 January 2007, 09:30   #29
alt

You have a point about the counferfit cash thing. Infact, a boat i'm currently interested in, the seller says he doesn't want cash incase of counterfit, but WILL Accept a bankdraft.... I don't think he spends enough time reading on the internet!

When I Was paying for the last boat in cash, it was in a sealed bank envelope, all nice and clean crisp notes with a withdrawl receipt... It would have been much easier getting a bank draft but I thought nearly everyone would accept cash?
Old 13 January 2007, 08:21   #30

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Its hoses for coarses .I find by taking cash to a private sale there is the potential to get the best deal posible and dont expect to go back.However when buying from the trade you would normaly have some fallback but theirs a price to pay .And well worth it if your unsure but of hope their honest.Do remember some outboards will have up to 3 yr warenty the hulls 5 yr or is it the tubes.On the day if unsured dont part with your money .there will be another deal to be had round the corner.