Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Have to agree with you Willk , I can enjoy the debate but abrasiveness & occasional rudeness do nothing to further anyones cause !!
I enjoy the sarcasm that sometimes occurs and it's a great site for anyone interested in all things boaty but I'm pleased when the powers that be step in to douse things down.
Got to agree with you wholeheartedly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 20:41   #63

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Personally I think there are very many people on here, many who by virtue of their status, should know how to treat people when they have a difference of opinion.

I cannot think of another forum that I have ever frequented where there has been such an niche group of people who only think their opinion counts and everyone else's is either wrong, 'naughty' or not worth the server space.

The sexist, childish and often highly abusive comments from some members really do not make this forum a nice place to frequent. The only reason why I frequent is that there are some useful information posted by some really helpful people.

Grow up, have a big long hard look at how some of your and peers comments are being viewed by other members of the public not so involved with the site and maybe this forum would feel more welcoming to outsiders. Other people have equally valid points of view and deserve an equal opportunity to air their views without a torrent of abuse in return.

If I spoke to people at work like people speak to people on here, it would be gross misconduct. Kid yourself that its sarcasm, its not.

You can ban me now...
Old 04 June 2013, 21:05   #64
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
As I said, the numerous naysayers on here, including particularly the two whose post precede this, are a disgrace. My opinion, validly expressed. Is it going to be censored?
Censored? Never unless you become abusive, or you continue ranting without actually reading the thread.
You're getting pretty close to it as you've either BLATANTLY misunderstood what's been said to you, or haven't read the thread.

Go and read the thread properly and stop ranting, then slowly and rationally write a post explaining what you think I'm saying.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 21:07   #65
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Personally I think there are very many people on here, many who by virtue of their status, should know how to treat people when they have a difference of opinion.
Don't quite follow that?
Quote:
I cannot think of another forum that I have ever frequented where there has been such an niche group of people who only think their opinion counts and everyone else's is either wrong, 'naughty' or not worth the server space.
You've been VERY lucky on the other (non-ribby) forums - some of them are quite bloody
Quote:
The sexist, childish and often highly abusive comments from some members really do not make this forum a nice place to frequent. The only reason why I frequent is that there are some useful information posted by some really helpful people.
I think you use the forum because you like it.
Quote:
Grow up, have a big long hard look at how some of your and peers comments are being viewed by other members of the public not so involved with the site and maybe this forum would feel more welcoming to outsiders. Other people have equally valid points of view and deserve an equal opportunity to air their views without a torrent of abuse in return.
RIBnet isn't wikipedia, it's a little bit wikipedia, a little bit forum, a little bit chatroom. My intervention in this thread is to prevent a torrent of abuse.
Quote:
If I spoke to people at work like people speak to people on here, it would be gross misconduct. Kid yourself that its sarcasm, its not.
Don't quite follow that either, how is your work code of conduct relevant here?
Quote:
You can ban me now...
Lord no, you're staying, at least until you ask to have your account deleted again.
Old 04 June 2013, 21:10   #66

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
... Takes me back a few posts ...

"... and when a proven, reliable, stable, durable and practical improvement comes along I will embrace it totally, as I'm sure will the vast majority of folks on this forum"
If I wasn't a diver putting the transmitter in a drysuit pocket which is going to get far more than dunked I would try it. I need an unpowered, fully submersible (to at least 50m) "fob" for the me with all powered bits inside the console.

Right now I have very limited options to clip on my existing kill cord. I'm in a drysuit, I can't sink without at least 10kgs of lead on me. And I don't have special life jackets whch can fit over drysuits. So I currently girth hitch the cord around my wrist just proximal (up my arm) from my dry glove rings. The rings are hard plastic and 5" or so in diameter so it doesn't want to slip off. But I have to remember and remove it before helping any of my passenger divers around the boat (or back in), or to anchor.

Quote:

You can ban me now...
^^^^^^
What he said.

Pretty much everyone here has just pissed on GPIC, despite his good intentions and extensive efforts to advance dialogue with alternative kill cords. Efforts which are far more lastly and meaningful than sending me polls asking if I want mandatory kill cord legislation in the UK - despite the fact that I live near Seattle, half a word away...
Old 04 June 2013, 21:14   #67

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
An extract of quotes from this thread, disregarding ones on similar topic:

Quote:
90% of the accidents either happened outside the UK, were totally irrelevant to this discussion or contain such tenuous links to propellers that they are even irrelevant to the document itself.
Care to justify the "90%"?

Quote:
Once you remove all the non-killcord related things, plus the above, there's very little there.
Complacent (synonym = "self-satisfied")

Quote:
I suspect from a quick skim that there are few kill cord preventable accidents in UK waters - which is the point about new kill cord rules being largely pointless
As above

Quote:
The collective brains trust on this forum - or anywhere else as I've noticed - hasn't identified a more stable, reliable and durable solution than that which currently exists
40 yo technology simply can't be improved. No way.

Quote:
there is a perfectly good solution, called the kill cord
How is it "perfectly" good when, as a system (not as a mechanism) it has actually failed in numerous cases?

Quote:
I just don't understand what's wrong with a killcord
As a system, they're not working. Gettit?

Quote:
It's pointless trying to make anything idiot proof
Oh so it's pointless. Is it really? Why?

Quote:
my scream detector is going off
Cheap point scoring.

Quote:
I've tried to avoid the whole killcord debate, as it's a circular argument & in the end Darwin always wins.
There is no language of argument here. Just fatuous comment.

Quote:
I find it quite incredible that an entire organisation who have done that much research comes up with a list of complete and utter rubbish! I won't even dignify your list with reasons
Astonishing. So this poster dismisses all suggestions out of hand without any explanation whatsoever.

Do you sense that I am contemptuous of the RIBNET massive, with some (unhappily few) honourable exceptions? You bet!
Old 04 June 2013, 21:20   #68

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Coupled with your "blind & stupid "comment on the bottom of page three this is now sounding like a rant !
Do you really speak to people like that at work or socially Tim ?
Old 04 June 2013, 21:41   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Coupled with your "blind & stupid "comment on the bottom of page three this is now sounding like a rant !
Do you really speak to people like that at work or socially Tim ?
That was a direct response to:

Quote:
I find it quite incredible that an entire organisation who have done that much research comes up with a list of complete and utter rubbish! I won't even dignify your list with reasons that none of them will work as you will obviously disagree.
and the smug/complacent/self-satisfied rejoinder to my rebuke that as a long-time RIB and other leisure boats owner, and as an ordinary commentator, I feel completely entitled to express.

Do you wish to defend the post I responded to?
Old 04 June 2013, 21:47   #70

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Observer.. Tim, for goodness sake what are you like when you're out in the pub you just go on and on and on
Old 04 June 2013, 21:51   #71
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
An extract of quotes from this thread, disregarding ones on similar topic:

Care to justify the "90%"?
Go and read the initial report thoroughly, taking into context that this was originally part of another thread where killcords were being discussed, not propeller safety and the post was made in THAT thread.
You obviously haven't read it all the way through. I did. If I remember correctly (without spending 45 minutes rereading it and making notes, there were about 5 instances of non killcord usage in the UK.The rest was either overseas incidents,not killcord related or canal boating incidents.

My comment was NOT saying there isn't a problem.

Quote:
Complacent (synonym = "self-satisfied")

As above
I refer you to my first .

Quote:
40 yo technology simply can't be improved. No way.
Really? Care to find who said that?

Personally, I've said many times that we have a perfectly good system, with the minimum number of potential fail points. All it depends on is people not being too stupid to use it.
So far, everything else that's been suggested has had
a)multiple and potentially dangerous potential fail points
b)been so hideously overcomplex and annoying that the same people too stupid to use a killcord will simply disable it,
c)Hasn't actually offered any improvement over wearing a killcord.

Come up with a better idea than a killcord, that doesn't come into the above categories and I'll embrace it.

Note as well, that I suggested a cheap, easy method to ensure the cord has to be removed to stop the engine-ie, has to be fitted in order to start the engine, which is a pretty good reminder to use it.

Quote:
How is it "perfectly" good when, as a system (not as a mechanism) it has actually failed in numerous cases?
Cars break down, tyres get punctures, outboards go wrong,killcords fail. You will NEVER make a system that's reliable 100% of the time and the more complex you make it, the more potential fail points you add.Properly maintained and tested, the killcord system is very reliable.
Fine, if you want RFID or a deadmans handle etc, fit it to your own boat, but the fact that you're thinking about safety means you're not part of the problem.
Quote:

As a system, they're not working. Gettit?
As a system, the USER isn't working. Gettit?
Quote:

Oh so it's pointless. Is it really? Why?
See 1&2 above.

Quote:
Cheap point scoring.
Yes. I laughed.Scream detectors? Behave.
If you can't use the rule of 7 Ps, leave your boat on the shore and watch from the bank.
Quote:

There is no language of argument here. Just fatuous comment.
See 2 above.
Quote:

Astonishing. So this poster dismisses all suggestions out of hand without any explanation whatsoever.
I can see you still haven't read the report.
Quote:
Do you sense that I am contemptuous of the RIBNET massive, with some (unhappily few) honourable exceptions? You bet!
I'm being nice here. Please stop ranting.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 21:57   #72

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Don't quite follow that either, how is your work code of conduct relevant here?
Lord no, you're staying, at least until you ask to have your account deleted again.
Well since you bought up the subject. Work code of conduct such as mine, is about treating all people with respect and not to alienate people. Its pretty common policy in most companies that employ a diverse range of people and cultures.

Regarding asking to have my account deleted in the past, which is nothing to do with this post so I'm not sure why you bought it up, but since you did I will explain why. This forum hosted those most obscene video of an innocent animal being, I believe (as I did not have the nerve to watch it), torn apart. It was nothing to do with the forum, pretty obscene by the comments and I asked it to be removed. My request was refused so I asked to have my account deleted. Thankfully common sense prevailed and it was eventually removed, and I returned. However it goes to show that the levels of decency of this forum can go to pretty low depths and still be defended by admin team.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:01   #73

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Engine: Suzuki 200
Captnjack,

I wear a neoprene dry suit and I have a 1" D ring on a small patch fixed just above the top of my left thigh. I clip the kill cord to that. It's low enough so that it doesn't get snagged on the wheel and gives me a bit of movement around the console. I unclip when pulling divers kit into the boat and leave the engine running - particularly if we're offshore.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:13   #74

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Well since you bought up the subject. Work code of conduct such as mine, is about treating all people with respect and not to alienate people. Its pretty common policy in most companies that employ a diverse range of people and cultures.

Regarding asking to have my account deleted in the past, which is nothing to do with this post so I'm not sure why you bought it up, but since you did I will explain why. This forum hosted those most obscene video of an innocent animal being, I believe (as I did not have the nerve to watch it), torn apart. It was nothing to do with the forum, pretty obscene by the comments and I asked it to be removed. My request was refused so I asked to have my account deleted. Thankfully common sense prevailed and it was eventually removed, and I returned. However it goes to show that the levels of decency of this forum can go to pretty low depths and still be defended by admin team.
IanH, as you know it was I that put up the said video and you know damn well that it was there to shock and not for entertainment, which it did, also other members also asked to have it removed but when it wasn't they did not ask for their membership to be removed unlike yourself... a baby spitting its dummy out.
Also it was posted in the non ribbing section ....other stuff.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:17   #75

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Are we in the Bilges yet?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 June 2013, 22:25   #76
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I know WHAT a code of conduct is, I just don't understand how that of your workplace is relevant to this forum. I can't say "arse" at work, for example - doesn't seem to have much effect around here
Quote:
This forum hosted those most obscene video of an innocent animal being, I believe (as I did not have the nerve to watch it), torn apart. It was nothing to do with the forum, pretty obscene by the comments and I asked it to be removed. My request was refused so I asked to have my account deleted. Thankfully common sense prevailed and it was eventually removed, and I returned. However it goes to show that the levels of decency of this forum can go to pretty low depths and still be defended by admin team.
I didn't watch it either, but I'm told that it didn't contain scenes such as those you describe. It was hosted by Youtube, IIRC, not this forum - it had a link to it. Perhaps we should have watched it and then we'd have been in a better position to judge the depths to which the forum's level of decency had descended? Each of us finds good and bad in the forum, the admin team have to find a balance and try to encourage reasonable behaviour. Demanding the removal of a Youtube link that you haven't viewed seems unreasonable to me, demanding the removal of your account if your demands aren't met seems even more unreasonable. Your remaining a regular poster on such a shocking, poorly managed forum just puzzles me.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:27   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Observer.. Tim, for goodness sake what are you like when you're out in the pub you just go on and on and on
Sorry I don't see this as a pub chat. It is a serious discussion about a serious subject.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:29   #78
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Right now I have very limited options to clip on my existing kill cord. I'm in a drysuit, I can't sink without at least 10kgs of lead on me. And I don't have special life jackets whch can fit over drysuits. So I currently girth hitch the cord around my wrist just proximal (up my arm) from my dry glove rings. The rings are hard plastic and 5" or so in diameter so it doesn't want to slip off. But I have to remember and remove it before helping any of my passenger divers around the boat (or back in), or to anchor.
How about:

1. Clip round leg like most people here do.
2. Modify dry suit to add a secure fixing.
3. Use the "dog leash" method described by 250kts in the other thread
4. Use a belt (such as your weight belt).
5. Wear a life jacket when on the boat and clip to that. If you are feeling safety conscious a lifejacket is probably wise anyway. It would cost less than $300.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:31   #79
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
As I said, the numerous naysayers on here, including particularly the two whose post precede this, are a disgrace. My opinion, validly expressed. Is it going to be censored?
Quote:
What rule does my last post offend?
I think its offensive to tell people they are a disgrace. Was the comment meant to be complimentary?

Quote:

i've been around a few forums - this place is really quite civilised!

Quote:
Ian, I've just checked through the Admin logs, and I can't see anything you have reported. I believe you may have PM'd the team about this:

Quote:
If you know how you will still find the post. However, all bilge posts are automatically closed (and no longer easy to find) after a period of time. Nobody actually removed it. The admin team did review it - but didn't agree with your analysis.
Old 04 June 2013, 22:53   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think its offensive to tell people they are a disgrace. Was the comment meant to be complimentary?
Self-evidently, no. This is an "opinion".

My "opinion" is that there is a general failure of members on this forum to acknowledge and accept a responsibility to seek new methods of mitigating the risks posed by runaway open boats and propeller strikes by propeller driven boats generally.

I consider that responsibility for seeking solutions weighs particularly on owners of RIBs because my perception is that RIBS are disproportionately involved in leisure boat accidents.

I consider that the above-mentioned failure is a disgrace to reason and conscience.

That is my opinion. If you feel that the criticism is aimed at you, then please feel free to feel offended.