Old 16 October 2008, 16:20   #21

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Or getting a pull from the cops when they don't know the law any better than us, and this is more common than you may think.
Old 16 October 2008, 16:23   #22

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
As far as I'm aware the regs are actually about not having an exposed propeller of any kind. Can't back that one up though.

In any case, I'd personally use one to stop it getting a whack from road debris.
Plus, the 'prop in a bright bag' thing just seems like a sensible action...parking, people walking past...there's a whole list of possible dangers
Old 16 October 2008, 17:20   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
When I posted my earlier reply, I implied that, for an outboard , it was not a legal requirement but common courtesy to cover the prop. (or common sense for that matter) I have two reasons for this assumption

1. When I did my HGV training, I remember being stunned at how long a load protrusion can be before legal marking is required. somone suggested 1-2 metres ?
2. IMO if it was a legal requirement, the prop marker would be stipulated to be of a certain shape and colour & size to explain the hazard nature, but such a marker does not exist AFAIK. Youve probably seen the stipulated ones for wide loads for example these are red and white slashes in a triangle

Now the tricky bit is .. using some sort of overhang rule,.. .. would this be deemed to be from the end of the boat, or would it be from the end of the trailer ?, thats the one to ponder, but ofcourse if you have number plate extension rails that extend the length of your trailer lights and number plate beyond the engine,... surely this would be deemed to be part of the trailer, then the engine, and boat is a load as 'one' and all inside the trailer length ?

he he... good question
Old 16 October 2008, 17:37   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
OK - probably as close as you will get to clarity in reasonably clear english from the RYA (presumably their legal dept.)

http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/legal/W...EGULATIONS.pdf
Old 16 October 2008, 18:11   #25

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Another good site here:
http://www.ntta.co.uk/default.htm
Old 16 October 2008, 20:45   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Intertesting to see that you can have a total length of up to 25.9m including towing vehicle!!! Boats are an indivisable load - unless you have a chainsaw handy...........
Old 16 October 2008, 21:46   #27

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
OK - probably as close as you will get to clarity in reasonably clear english from the RYA (presumably their legal dept.)

http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/legal/W...EGULATIONS.pdf
Ok Neil I'm good with most of that except this bit

"It is particularly important to protect the exposed blades of an outboard motor mounted on a boat‘s transom: there have been a number of prosecutions for failure to do so. "

HGV regs for example.. dont stipulate what the nature of your overhang is as long as its under the 'length' no matter what you carry ...so how have these cases lead to a prosecution I wonder
Old 16 October 2008, 21:50   #28
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

"It is particularly important to protect the exposed blades of an outboard motor mounted on a boat‘s transom: there have been a number of prosecutions for failure to do so. "

HGV regs for example.. dont stipulate what the nature of your overhang is as long as its under the 'length' no matter what you carry ...so how have these cases lead to a prosecution I wonder

Might be something to do with sharp prop blades.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2008, 22:02   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

I didn't write it, so can't tell you the answer! When I skimmed it earlier i did think along the same lines as you and I never like to see claims that "there have been a number of prosecutions" without citing a reference... as it smacks of anecodatal urban myth! Perhaps someone who is an RYA member would ask them to both clarify what these prosecutions were for and if the priority here is visibility or protection of rough edges.
Old 17 October 2008, 13:01   #30

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
Found it (further down the RYA document) :
"A load projecting rearwards more than 1m (whether on a motor vehicle or trailer) must be lit by an additional rear lamp and a red retro-reflector fitted not more than 1m from the rear of the load. In practice, the need for such a lamp is usually avoided when carrying an overhanging boat on a trailer by either fitting an extension to the trailer, so that the rear lighting board is positioned vertically below the rearmost part of the load, or by fitting the lighting board to the transom of the boat. If either of these methods of fitting is adopted, care should be taken that a boat‘s mast does not overhang the aft end of the boat by more than 1m."

Not being a legal expert, it's probably safer to continue using the prop bag than have the argument with a bored occifer of the law however !