Old 22 June 2006, 03:21   #11

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
But having accumulated some 30 odd hours in my boat I really feel completely comfortable with it now (was quite nervous to start with) and am starting to think that there may not be much point as it would be 2 days out of my relatively short holiday and I don't know how much I would get out of it. There is a nagging doubt in my mind that I might be picking up bad habits and/or lulling myself into a false sense of security though, since it has all been self-taught! I wish I could see a syllabus for exactly what is covered on the courses, had a look on Google a couple of months ago but there was only very general information.
Stephen,

Get a copy of the RYA Powerboat Handbook available from the RYA or the author here - http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk/ Some great stuff in there & very easy to understand. I'd suggest you do a Level 2 course (perhaps direct access) if you have the time. Things like pontoon bashing (see Codprawns comments above) and proper throttle control are much better taught by an instructor than self taught.

Cheers

Ian

Old 22 June 2006, 06:44   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
Hey, Say goodluck to her doing her course, i took mine when i was just turning 13 and i really enjoyed it !! I think the course becomes official when we turn 16 though, on my course certificate it said to be driven with a responcible adult. But i still loved driving ribs !!

Old 22 June 2006, 07:01   #13

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah
Hey, Say goodluck to her doing her course, i took mine when i was just turning 13 and i really enjoyed it !! I think the course becomes official when we turn 16 though, on my course certificate it said to be driven with a responcible adult. But i still loved driving ribs !!
If you are aged between 8-11 and doing a powerboat level 1 course, your certificate gets endorsed "The holder should only use powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult on board the craft", if you are between 12-16 and doing a level 1 or 2 it becomes "The holder should only use powered craft under the supervision of a responsible adult."

The design of this is that 8-11 year olds must have someone on board the boat, but for 12-16 year olds it is up to the adult to work out whether they are happy being on board or not. Some of the 12-16 year olds at my sailing club are far more competent boat drivers than the adults, and I have no problems letting them take the powerboats to act as ferries for the yachts etc.

I think opening up the RYA powerboat courses to ages 8 and above is a fantastic thing, as I would imagine that most people with kids on this forum let them drive their ribs, and having attended a well run and safe course they will hopefully be a lot better at it with RYA 1 or 2.
Old 22 June 2006, 07:01   #14
G L

Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 2.0 V6 135
MMSI: 235038455
I think you should just get her a new playsation !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 June 2006, 07:16   #15

Town: Douglas Isle of Man
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235035776
My 8 year old will be delighted to hear he can do Powerboat 1! He's been driving my rib for a couple of years now!

Big brother did his at 14, and had the endorsement until 16.

I agree that some of the kids are better drivers than adults...we have our heat of the Rib Challenge this w/e and I can't get near some of the times set!