Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
That was last year when we came up
White disco with you and your missus? I was certain it was you. Just a couple weeks back. Maybe it wasn’t a rib on the back.
Old 17 July 2021, 11:59   #184

Town: Warsash
Boat name: black mamba
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Managed to get some time on the boat over the last few days. It's now the right way up and sitting on the trailer.
All cables, hydraulic hoses and fuel lines have been run below deck. The cables coming through the bilge well bulkhead are for the A-frame wiring on one side and the bilge pump wiring on the other side. Both these holes will be covered by Scanstrut deck glands.
Alan, i'm just doing up a 2005 Humber 5.5 and am looking at the viability of running everything under the deck - did you already have under-deck routing or did you do that yourself? If so, how did you manage to route the cables through the stringers etc?
Old 17 July 2021, 12:32   #185

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 1 View Post
Alan, i'm just doing up a 2005 Humber 5.5 and am looking at the viability of running everything under the deck - did you already have under-deck routing or did you do that yourself? If so, how did you manage to route the cables through the stringers etc?
humbers dont have stringers they have 2 longitudinal beams front to back in line with the transom knees the centre void will get wet inside as the anchor locker drains into the bilge well through it either side is a void that should be sealed and dry . one of the reasons i didnt run my cables ect through these is if the entry exit point is not sealed any water getting into these voids can not get out .i run my cabling ect above the deck in a conduit
Old 17 July 2021, 17:04   #186

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I did it myself. Unless you plan it very carefully it’s a bit of a ball ache but the end result is worth every minute of swearing.

I’ve got the battery in passenger jockey console so the engine battery leads come from the engine in to the rear console but I also have the water separator in there so the fuel lines need to come from the front console up in to the passenger console then back out again to the engine.

Do a trial run above deck.

I never put mine in conduit below deck, I’ve seen too many conduits full of a mixture of fuel, hydraulic oil and water, I thought it better to have them lay under deck in the dry that permanently encased in contaminated water.
People had mentioned that they might rub and move about causing premature failures, the bundle of wires/cables are loosely secured with a few zip ties to keep it together. The only thing il have a problem removing is the engine-control box loom as it has a large plug on the end, every other cable can be pulled straight out.
Old 18 July 2021, 15:36   #187

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
I did it myself. Unless you plan it very carefully it’s a bit of a ball ache but the end result is worth every minute of swearing.

I’ve got the battery in passenger jockey console so the engine battery leads come from the engine in to the rear console but I also have the water separator in there so the fuel lines need to come from the front console up in to the passenger console then back out again to the engine.

Do a trial run above deck.

I never put mine in conduit below deck, I’ve seen too many conduits full of a mixture of fuel, hydraulic oil and water, I thought it better to have them lay under deck in the dry that permanently encased in contaminated water.
People had mentioned that they might rub and move about causing premature failures, the bundle of wires/cables are loosely secured with a few zip ties to keep it together. The only thing il have a problem removing is the engine-control box loom as it has a large plug on the end, every other cable can be pulled straight out.
You can always put the cables inside much smaller kopex type conduit.

Like this:

That way you get abrasion resistance and much less chance of the battery cables shorting out and starting a fire.

I’d also recommend fusing the battery cables if your going under the deck where you can’t easily check them visually.

I agree with your logic re the conduit full of shite.
Old 19 December 2021, 17:01   #188

Town: pwllheli
Boat name: darth raider
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury 115
H Alan

I don’t suppose you replaced the floor by any chance? I want to re route the fuel and control cables under the floor but not sure of the construction
Quote:
So, there I am launching Red Mist on Sunday at our local sailing club slipway and parked on the slip is a spanking new Humber rib, the boat house manager says its the clubs new rescue boat, VERY nice, we chatted about the new one and I asked what happened to the old one, "nothing it's still in the boat shed" was his reply, "would you be interested in buying it?" Guess what? I did.

It's a 2005 Humber Destroyer with a 2011 Yamaha F80. The engine looks like its just come out the showroom but unfortunately the same cant be said for the boat. Structurally it's sound, the starboard tube cone end has caught the pontoon and punctured, a couple of the hatches need replaced and it needs several buckets of Power Spray and elbow grease. It's also been antifouled religiously at the beginning of every season so its on quite thick and peeling in places.

It'll be a nice winter project, a bit of scraping, scrubbing and tube work and it should be good to go.

Decisions, decisions. Do I keep Red Mist and punt this on or do I keep the Humber? It's a newer hull and newer engine but I'm reckoning its not going to be the most thrilling of rides with an 80 on it.

Attachment 115606

Attachment 115607

Attachment 115608

Attachment 115609

Attachment 115610

Attachment 115611
Old 19 December 2021, 17:41   #189

Town: Warsash
Boat name: black mamba
Make: humber
Engine: mercury 115
Hi, I just restored a humber 5.5 including under deck routing of all control cables and furl etc - would be happy to chat you through it - PM me or drop me an email at markdenton@mac.com
Old 20 December 2021, 09:32   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 1 View Post
Hi, I just restored a humber 5.5 including under deck routing of all control cables and furl etc - would be happy to chat you through it - PM me or drop me an email at markdenton@mac.com
Thks Mark
Old 20 December 2021, 09:45   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore sea school View Post
Thks Mark
email sent