Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 June 2007, 21:47   #21

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Andy, do you have unusual hands? Why can't you press the trim switch with your thumb?

I bet you rarely look at the engine instruments when you're bouncing over the waves. I'd keep the nav stuff in good view in preference to the engine stuff.

I certainly agree with a glove box. Make it as big as you can manage. And a hand hold as big as you can manage too.

Unusual hands John!

The trim buttons on most control handles is on the left side, however the control will be on the left side of the wheel. So if used with hand on the top of the handle the thumb will sit on the opposite side to the switch. However if you place your hand on the shaft of the lever I guess you could use your fingers to operate it, but I remain unconvinced. I'll try it at first and if I can't get on with it I'll buy a steering mounted TT button.

The Glove box is a fairly large one and about 250mm deep, I plan to have a ss handle just below this so that when the hatch is open it'll rest in a horizontal position. I'm going to get this glassed in as well to add strength and perhaps place my VHF in the bottom for added protection.

I'm also going to screw some 10/12mm dia SS railing to the top and middle sections of the console so that I can place gloves and bits and bobs, cup of tea without them sliding off.

I will place a compass in the middle of the upper shelf.

The first photo shows the depth finder, switch panel, engine gauges and then the Plotter.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2007, 00:03   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
The trim buttons on most control handles is on the left side, however the control will be on the left side of the wheel.
Now you've competely confused me because I thought you wanted the throttle on the right. Hence, I couldn't see a problem with using your thumb on the switch.

Quote:
The Glove box is a fairly large one and about 250mm deep, I plan to have a ss handle just below this so that when the hatch is open it'll rest in a horizontal position. I'm going to get this glassed in as well to add strength and perhaps place my VHF in the bottom for added protection.
All that sounds good to me. How about having a corner on the hand hold so that it goes along the front and then up the side infront of that norrow bit. A vertical handle is comfortable and it also allows a change of hand position if one is hanging on for a while.

Personally, I find it restful as a driver to be able to hang onto a fixed handle with one hand for some of the time. I've found this especially good at night when you are travelling slowly enough not to need to control the throttle but you also can't see the waves and the boat is bucking a bit. The added security of the handle is good because it gives a wider base for your hands to hold. If your passenger hold was long enough, you could use the end of it for yourself. Also, before the cabin rib, my passengers always liked having a heated hold.

Quote:
I'm also going to screw some 10/12mm dia SS railing to the top and middle sections of the console so that I can place gloves and bits and bobs, cup of tea without them sliding off.
You've got better ideas than most of the rib builders.

Quote:
I will place a compass in the middle of the upper shelf.
Put it in the locker cos I bet you'll never use it. Stick it down with blutack for the day you'll never see. Anyway, it would need to be directly infront of you or you'll be leaning over and guessing your position each time you read it.
Old 26 June 2007, 21:11   #23

Ospreys and a huge Fuel Bill.

Well the day of reckoning as come and gone.

Woke up at 03:15 hrs this morning, Loaded the Console in the back, cupper, dressed and ready for the off by 3:45.

Dad had decided he wanted to come along for the trip, even though I'd advised him not to, he insisted that a 500 mile round trip was not a problem. So round his house by 04:00 with the tappety noise of the Disco and rattling trailer waking up his neighbours.

The Journey up was fantastically easy, I'd never driven a Disco and whilst it seemed quite happy at 60mph it did moan a bit from some of the slightly graded hills on the motorway, the roof tent and Jerry cans on the safari roof didn't help one bit.

The Journey took an impressive 4.5 hrs to arrive even allowing for getting lost a bit and nearly getting the trailer stuck in a narrow lane and praying that no cars would come from the opposite direction all trying to find Osprey headquarters.

After arrival we where greeted by Mike and his Father, the guy/s responsible for the building of these terrific craft.

After a cuppa I read through a list as long as my Son's and Daughters Santa's Christmas list from last year. Whilst most things had been talked about and agreed upon, the task of positioning the Console and seats on the deck begun.

The Console came out the Disco and was placed directly onto the deck around the fuel tank fittings. It must have been a lucky placing as this is where it stayed.

The Seat pods where arranged in several positions retaining the U configuration I want them in. Mike was unconvinced about the design as this was a seating pattern he hadn't seen before....Come to that fact, I haven't seen a seating layout like it either. Climbing on deck I demonstrated the benefits as I saw them, he understood what I was trying to do and was much happier once he was enlightened. I had a seat cushion that Mike had taken off his own RIB to demonstrate this fact and to enable an accurate simulation for seat positioning.

Next was the Console, I'm going to have all the batteries, Fuel filter water separator and Oil tank, together with a couple of empty compartments below a false floor in the console. This way I can use the console for storage of gear and not worry about wires and tubes from being disturbed by things being throw in and dragged out.

Anyway, after 3.5 Hrs it was time to say cheerio to Mike, whom I found a very likable, helpful and friendly Guy.

500 miles later and arriving back at 18:30hrs, having spent £114 on diesel and non-stop traffic all the way, I feel that a great deal of work has been achieved today.

Now the Photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	28032   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	28033   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	28034   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	28035   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 008 (Medium).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	28036  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 June 2007, 21:14   #24

And some more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26.06.07 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	287
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	28037   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	28038   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.06.07 012 (Medium).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	28039  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 June 2007, 21:20   #25

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
looks like mike has had a spring clean since i was there last!!

i bet you are quite excited getting it all set up to your individual requirements, that is the best bit in my mind

good luck
Old 26 June 2007, 21:35   #26

Yes, I'm very excited. I have a little reservation about todays visit however, that is the floor distance between to Jockey seats. This is only about 9" and not wide enough to put two feet side by side whilst standing this is because the Jockeys are quite wide. I was told the seats can't come apart any more as the distance between Jockey and tubes gets tight.

What's your Idea's?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 June 2007, 21:52   #27

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Yes, I'm very excited. I have a little reservation about todays visit however, that is the floor distance between to Jockey Consols. This is only about 9" and not wide enough to put two feet side by side whilst standing this is because the Jockeys are quite wide. I was told the seats can't come apart any more as the distance between Jockey and tubes gets tight.

What's your Idea's?

difficult to tell from the pics but either your boat is narrower or those jockey pods are a lot wider, i can measure up mine and give you the dimensions if you like?

also because you are not the smallest person in the world you might need to consider narrower jockey seats
Old 26 June 2007, 21:57   #28

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Nice pics Andy, not long now are the fuel pickups raised off the deck
as are mine.
Old 26 June 2007, 22:07   #29

Yes they are Steve, you can just see it in picture number 3

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 June 2007, 22:16   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
difficult to tell from the pics but either your boat is narrower or those jockey pods are a lot wider, i can measure up mine and give you the dimensions if you like?

also because you are not the smallest person in the world you might need to consider narrower jockey seats
Narrower jockeys aren't really an option as for one I cann't afford to change now, and would hold up build too much.

The width is OK whilst standing, just that there's no room for the feet The position of the seat reletive to the console is OK too and have the steering excactly in the middle of the seat without it hanging off the side of the console.

Whilst seated there is no such problem as the legs are out in front, under the console.

I have been on RIBs where the feet positions of the Helmsman and navigator seem to take up the same space.

The RIB is narrower than yours Chris by the tune of about 4"-6"

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 27 June 2007, 08:41   #31

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Andy is that where the steering wheel will end up or are you moving it down to a better angle? Looks like your driving a bus at present!

Nick
Old 27 June 2007, 08:53   #32

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bus.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	28046  
Old 05 July 2007, 21:25   #33

Vipermax delivered to Eurocraft yesterday, trailer's had it's first accident

This is the spec for the wear patches and grab handles I sent Osprey tonight, please tell me if I missed something?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wear Patch layout final.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	28296  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 05 July 2007, 21:39   #34

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Quote:
Vipermax delivered to Eurocraft yesterday, trailer's had it's first accident
Cool Andy

Getting ever closer now - bet you're like a five-year-old waiting for Christmas. Nothing too serious with trailer I hope... wouldn't want anything spoiling your fun

Keep up the photos - colour scheme looks good by the way. Mine is pretty much the reverse of yours (i.e. blue and white swapped over). To be honest this means I spend ages cleaning the white (sorry arctic grey) tubes so your mostly blue ones should look cleaner for longer

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2007, 09:25   #35

All doing a fine job!

Now wear patch placement has been sorted I thought I'd bring my thread up to date and show you the latest pictures of my new baby. I look forward to bringing her home shortly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1643 (Medium).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	29248   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	29249   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	29250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1644 (Medium).jpg
Views:	291
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	29251   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	29252  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 13 August 2007, 09:31   #36

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Looking good Andy, remind me how the back seat is going to work?
Can't believe the interest in Vipers since I sold mine!

Peter 7 said I would always regret selling mine & all this talk of them dose not help!

Nick
Old 13 August 2007, 09:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Looking good Andy, remind me how the back seat is going to work?
Can't believe the interest in Vipers since I sold mine!

Peter 7 said I would always regret selling mine & all this talk of them dose not help!

Nick
I'll have a go at explaining

The Idea is that it will seat 4, two front ones in the traditional way. The two back ones will work in one of two ways.

First, whilst cruising the seat back on the rear will be tilted back (more upright) in a normal bench seat position. The passengers will have their bums on the transverse seat and legs either side of the jockeys, I am hoping and planning that there will be enough room to stand at the back too.

Second, whilst at rest the Bench seat back will be tilted forward (at a greater angle to provide comfort) to provide comfortable seating at the rear whilst fishing or picknicking etc.

The added advantage is that the U shape will also allow my kids to stand in the centre in reletive safety.

Thats the Idea If it works

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 13 August 2007, 20:53   #38

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Looking great, Andy. Cant believe the amount of interest lately in the vipers
yours looks nearly ready to pick up, and then the real fun can begin.
Keep the post going with plenty of pics.
Old 13 August 2007, 21:58   #39

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
This is the spec for the wear patches and grab handles I sent Osprey tonight, please tell me if I missed something?
Andy,

I'm finding that on a nice sunny day one really needs a drink holder. I'm gonna pop a couple on mine.

Nick R.
Old 13 August 2007, 22:24   #40

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I'm also looking for somewhere to fit a cooker !