Old 27 April 2008, 12:53   #241

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have a bit less room on the transom that you have even with the smaller motor. I need to get an aux in on the port side so still thinking on whether I can get away with a pole on the other side rather than try and squeeze in an A frame.
The pole you have made looks like just the thing, I assume there is a plate welded to the bottom and it is simply bolted through?
I still need seats but have been unable to find something at the right price that suits so far, still I have a month or two before that becomes a problem as they are simply being screwed to the deck as the last job, nothing goes through or in them apart from stores.
Old 27 April 2008, 18:25   #242

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
The pole you have made looks like just the thing, I assume there is a plate welded to the bottom and it is simply bolted through?
Yes a plate welded to the bottom, held in place by 3x m10 bolts

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2008, 23:05   #243

Are those small retainer things on the top of your console home made or bought in? I could do with something similiar on a smaller scale for mine/
Old 28 April 2008, 09:13   #244

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
I have to say Andy - very impressive looking RIB. You've done a really nice job there. Did you bend the polycarbonate screen yourself or did you get someone to do it for you?

Also a member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2008, 16:37   #245

Quote:
Are those small retainer things on the top of your console home made or bought in? I could do with something similiar on a smaller scale for mine/
I assume you mean the little rails that are meant to stop things from falling off. These where "home" made at work

Just bent up some 6mm solid stainless rod and welded the legs to it in the various places. The fixings are M8 round head bolts welded on the end of the legs.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 April 2008, 16:43   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I have to say Andy - very impressive looking RIB. You've done a really nice job there. Did you bend the polycarbonate screen yourself or did you get someone to do it for you?
I bent it myself, was a little tricky getting the heat right as there was very little margin between bending heat and bubble heat if you know what I mean

I made a board up the width of the console and put a large radius at each end. I then mounted the staight screen on the board and clamped into position. When heating (I used a halogen heat lamp) I placed a piece of wood on the end of the screen, maintaining a 2" gap where the bend was going, this enabled me to heat the local area without heating the areas that I didn't want bent.

There are a few little bubbles and burnt areas on the screen, these are on the bottom and will be covered with a strip of stainless.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 May 2008, 19:35   #247

Andy,
can you PM me your supplier for the seat pads and stainless? looks like I am going down the route of buying boxes and getting pads and stainless built to suit.
Rather than reinvent the wheel I am hoping I can use the same suppliers you did as you seem to be happy with your results?
Old 19 May 2008, 20:06   #248

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Rather than a cut & shut 6.5, the 6.2 is a 'stretched' 5.8.

There's two Vipermax moulds, the smaller mould used for the 5.5 - 6.2 range and the large mould for 6.5+.

The smaller mould is a narrower beam and has less freeboard, so you can't put big 'ViperMax' logos on the chine beneath the tube flange
I know this is reviving a rather old post but I asked this question of Mike from Osprey the other day and was told that the 6.2 and 6.5 are the same width and the only difference between the two was an extra 30cm at the rear. In fact that 5.8 is again the same width just shorter.

I mentioned that the specs on the website look to disagree with this and Mike said they must be wrong.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 21:37   #249

Quote:
Andy,
can you PM me your supplier for the seat pads and stainless? looks like I am going down the route of buying boxes and getting pads and stainless built to suit.
Rather than reinvent the wheel I am hoping I can use the same suppliers you did as you seem to be happy with your results?
Sorry can't really help you. I wouldn't recommend the upholsterers and I have some quality issues and the stainless seat backs took a lifetime to be built buy a local fairly unreliable person, was cheap though!.....Oh the joys of boating

Have a word with Chris as to who he's using.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 May 2008, 21:42   #250

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
The smaller mould is a narrower beam and has less freeboard, so you can't put big 'ViperMax' logos on the chine beneath the tube flange
Thank F' for that.
Old 19 May 2008, 21:43   #251

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I know this is reviving a rather old post but I asked this question of Mike from Osprey the other day and was told that the 6.2 and 6.5 are the same width and the only difference between the two was an extra 30cm at the rear. In fact that 5.8 is again the same width just shorter.

I mentioned that the specs on the website look to disagree with this and Mike said they must be wrong.
Yes, the webshite is wrong. The specs state the 5.8 & 6.2 have a 2.36m beam, but my 5.8 came in at 2.48m! I don't know about the 6.2, but when I measured a couple of 6.5s, they were 2.55m max beam, so only marginally wider than my 5.8 turned out to be, suggesting that the hull pattern is most likely identical.
The 6.5m+ range differs from the smaller boats in having a taller chine between the running surface and the tube flange. Take a look at where Hugh Jardon stuck the two tone 'Vipermax' logo on his 6.5 and you'll see what I mean when compared with my 5.8 in the pics below. Due to this chine, the 6.5 sits with its toobs marginally out of the water when at rest, whereas the 5.8 (and presumably the 6.2) does not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collecting Osprey VM 5.8 008 (Medium).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	34890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5130018 (Small).JPG
Views:	273
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	34891  
Old 19 May 2008, 21:43   #252

Oh well, was worth asking. I have an upholster who works for us on another site and will have a word. I am sure if I buy the materials he would make something up for a few bottles of something.....
I'll see how my pole turns out and may go back to Marine Fabrications if it turns out well.
What sort of drawings did you give them or did you bend the bits yourself? It would be a bit difficult to put all the various twists and bends on a flat sheet! I intend to make up something similiar, not exactly alike, to your seat backs.
Old 19 May 2008, 21:52   #253

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Yes, the webshite is wrong. The specs state the 5.8 & 6.2 have a 2.36m beam, but my 5.8 came in at 2.48m! I don't know about the 6.2, but when I measured a couple of 6.5s, they were 2.55m max beam, so only marginally wider than my 5.8 turned out to be, suggesting that the hull pattern is most likely identical.
The 6.5m+ range differs from the smaller boats in having a taller chine between the running surface and the tube flange. Take a look at where Hugh Jardon stuck the two tone 'Vipermax' logo on his 6.5 and you'll see what I mean when compared with my 5.8 in the pics below. Due to this chine, the 6.5 sits with its toobs marginally out of the water when at rest, whereas the 5.8 (and presumably the 6.2) does not.
I've not run a tape across the 7m yet. Judging by the amount of gap either side of the Disco console, if it's any wider than the 6.5, it's only a fraction.
Old 19 May 2008, 21:56   #254

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I've not run a tape across the 7m yet. Judging by the amount of gap either side of the Disco console, if it's any wider than the 6.5, it's only a fraction.
Yep - out of the same mould, so it would only be a touch wider with an extra half metre of hull length
Old 19 May 2008, 21:59   #255

Quote:
Oh well, was worth asking. I have an upholster who works for us on another site and will have a word. I am sure if I buy the materials he would make something up for a few bottles of something.....
I'll see how my pole turns out and may go back to Marine Fabrications if it turns out well.
What sort of drawings did you give them or did you bend the bits yourself? It would be a bit difficult to put all the various twists and bends on a flat sheet! I intend to make up something similiar, not exactly alike, to your seat backs.
Basicly the main frame is a 180 degree 150mm Rad bend at the top with two legs (height is dependant on personal requirements). Off the two legs are the mounting plates for the fixing bolts. The wings are again 150mm radiused tube that is welded in position at whatever angle you desire, mine is at about 45 degrees. At again the handles are radiused tube too. I was particularly pleased with the grab handles as there is a broad area at the back of the seat, so that if your passengers are flung forward there are no protrusions to be caught on.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 May 2008, 22:04   #256

6.2, tubes in the water whilst at rest and underway (just).

6.5 might be a bit faster if the tubes are clear of the water when on the plane.

Looks Slow but is Fast