Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 June 2008, 19:12   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
One possibility would be a vacuum oil sucker - they are great and have many uses including sucking petrol out of tanks etc although they say you must NEVER do that...............
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 08:30   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 823
just open the valve and connect a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to it with a small bit of hose and lots of tape it will eventually suck it all out
__________________

__________________
paul tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 09:38   #13
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Deflate completely the sib, if the valves are the type that with a donw pin turn stays open, simply hang the sib like a hammock and make each valve (at least for the lateral tubes) to stay at the bottom of the u shape formed, water will exit. For the prow valve, the same, but do it manually.

If you are in summer, put your sib outdoor, open all valves, the sun will do the rest for drying/removing the moisture remains. How much time, will depend on the sun.

Happy Boating
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 10:59   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If you are in summer, put your sib outdoor, open all valves, the sun will do the rest for drying/removing the moisture remains. How much time, will depend on the sun.
Problem with that method is that (assuming sea water ingress) the salt will be left behind. Probably won't cause a problem, but salt crystals are not the best thing to have around airtight material.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 12:44   #15
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
I am told by someone in the trade that for tube draggers a favourite is the tube to cone seam at the stern, where water can be forced in Got to admit that I found it hard to believe, maybe someone on here has experience?
I can vouch for the fact that it does just that... a relatively tiny hole in one side of mine let about 10 gallons of water in over a very short space of time. Not sure about the physics of how but it does!
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 14:19   #16
Member
 
Locozodiac's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Problem with that method is that (assuming sea water ingress) the salt will be left behind. Probably won't cause a problem, but salt crystals are not the best thing to have around airtight material.

jky
In that case flood interior tube/s with fresh water to rinse salt out and continue with the procedure...
__________________
Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 01:55   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
In that case flood interior tube/s with fresh water to rinse salt out and continue with the procedure...
Have you ever heard of a water purifying still?

For a still, you take impure water (in this scenario sea water, "contaminated" with salt) and evaporate it, and collect the vapor. The result is reasonably pure fresh water. The salt (again, this scenario) is left behind. Flooding the tubes with fresh water will not remove the salt; it will simply make the evaporation/drying process take longer due to the evaporation of greater amounts of pure water. The salt will still be in the tubes.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 03:48   #18
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Have you ever heard of a water purifying still?

For a still, you take impure water (in this scenario sea water, "contaminated" with salt) and evaporate it, and collect the vapor. The result is reasonably pure fresh water. The salt (again, this scenario) is left behind. Flooding the tubes with fresh water will not remove the salt; it will simply make the evaporation/drying process take longer due to the evaporation of greater amounts of pure water. The salt will still be in the tubes.

jky
Read it again "In that case flood interior tube/s with fresh water to rinse salt out and continue with the procedure..." & you can see he said to rinse the salt water OUT so it will not be in the tube when it drys out so no salt to be left behind as it has been rinsed out!
__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 10:51   #19
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Read it again "In that case flood interior tube/s with fresh water to rinse salt out and continue with the procedure..." & you can see he said to rinse the salt water OUT so it will not be in the tube when it drys out so no salt to be left behind as it has been rinsed out!
Nick; the original post was how to get the water out in the first place. If you can't do that, you can't flush the salt out. If you can, then the followup question was irrelevant in the first place.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 11:27   #20
Member
 
Nick Hearne's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Nick; the original post was how to get the water out in the first place. If you can't do that, you can't flush the salt out. If you can, then the followup question was irrelevant in the first place.

jky
OK I sand corrected,this thread dose seam to be going around the houses!
__________________

__________________
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.