Old 27 April 2004, 16:51   #1

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Price rises on US imports

Just received an invoice from one of my suppliers with the following printed on the bottom:

"PRICE SURCHARGES WILL BE PAYABLE ON A WIDE RANGE OF USA IMPORTS W.E.F 01.05.04 REFLECTING THE EU IMPOSED ADDITIONAL DUTIES FROM 01.03.04 AT 5% & ESCALATING BY 1% EACH MONTH"

Oh I do enjoy the benefits of the common market!!!
Old 27 April 2004, 17:57   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I hate the EU but in fairness this is ONLY because the Yanks have been slapping illegal duties on our stuff for ages now - namely steel - they seem to think it's fair to do it to us but not the other way around!
Old 27 April 2004, 19:34   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Surcharges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Just received an invoice from one of my suppliers with the following printed on the bottom:

"PRICE SURCHARGES WILL BE PAYABLE ON A WIDE RANGE OF USA IMPORTS W.E.F 01.05.04 REFLECTING THE EU IMPOSED ADDITIONAL DUTIES FROM 01.03.04 AT 5% & ESCALATING BY 1% EACH MONTH"

I thought that Bush backed down on the steel surcharges and this sort of thing had been sorted out?
Old 27 April 2004, 21:40   #4

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
euro

Pity you fellows arnt in Euros yet, when you do go Euro, the transaction charges for handling an odd currency will be dropped, and currency comission charges, and the factors which are added to prices to allow for exchange rate differences from time of ordering, to delivery.The euro is very strong compared to Dollars, I am not aware of such surchages in the Euro Zone , I dont wish to not include the United Kingdom in the Euro Zone, but it wouldnt be fair to adopt the same trading rules for UK transictions, as they invarably are more hassle with using a different currency than the rest of Europe.I mean I can go to Cuba and buy a coffee in Euros, or Tahiti nevermind Mainland Europe.It wouldnt be right not to expect surcharges , and part of this is because you are using Sterling unfortunately.I am a bit surprised though at tarrifs illegal or otherwise being extended to the UK from the US, afterall they have very close ties with one another dont they, economically and militiarily.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2004, 22:08   #5

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler

An extra 1% per month? Kin 'Ell. Only 400 months and it will cost as much as the UK list price.
Old 27 April 2004, 22:10   #6

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Engine: Optimax 225
Customs & Excise FAQ.
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/business/impo...mports-USA.htm