Old 26 May 2008, 16:24   #1

Length: no boat
Preston area - launching?

Looking to buy a rib or speedboat. I live in the Preston area (North west england). I know theres a Marina at Preston but is there anywhere to launch? Is there any good rivers or lakes to go to? North wales seems like the best place to go at the moment. Also doe anyone still go on the lakes like windermere anymore???
Old 26 May 2008, 17:10   #2

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Have a look at:

www.boatlaunch.co.uk

All the Lakes in the Lake District now have speed limits, though I think Windermere is (very slightly) higher than the rest at 10 knots (the others are 8 or 10 mph or lower).

Had a good day's boating on Coniston when we were up there a few weeks ago. We did think about spending a day on Windermere as well, but the bureaucracy even for a day on the lake with a power boat is ridiculous, so we spent another day hiking on the fells instead.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 May 2008, 18:23   #3

Length: no boat
yeah i've looked on there, but doesn't seem to be much at preston appart from the marina, thought there might have been a slipway near by. Its a shame about the lake district cos its a lovely place to go and only an hours drive away.
Old 26 May 2008, 20:49   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
From what I remember there isn't a slipway at Preston Marina!!

We used to keep our RIB at Fleetwood, the marina is more accessible than Preston, but there is a slipway on the western side of the river Lune (pretty much opposite the marina and ferry dock), which I think Dave Mallet (Wavelength on here) uses regularly.

The tidal range on the Ribble is quite big - and there is a sh*t load of mud wherever you try to launch... but I think the slipway I mentioned above is your best bet.

Otherwise, a lot of the ex-Windermere speedsters have migrated along the North Wales coast.........
Old 27 May 2008, 14:04   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
knott end or stanah. Neither is always particularly easy and both have their own particular advantages/drawbacks/dangers/and more than their fair share of muddy bits where you really dont want to be, but hey thats boating in and around Morecambe Bay for ya where the tide comes in "faster than a horse can gallop!" - and as recent history shows it doesnt take prisoners so be careful out there