Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 March 2019, 11:12   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 31
Pressure relief valves

Hi , are there any pressure relief valves that I could easily fit ? I forgot to drop the pressure in the tubes the other day and was concerned if the sun came out it may damage the tubes .

Regards, John
__________________

__________________
John hulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2019, 18:40   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,654
In the UK this is rarely an issue. Tubes can handle a pretty considerable temperature fluctuation.
__________________

__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 05:28   #3
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
I am new to RIBs and have just bought a new one. So, I basically know nothing.
However when looking for a RIB I enquired about pressure relief valves and was told they are more trouble than they are worth.
The tubes on my RIB come with a warranty of 5 years and I can't see them giving a warranty on tubes without a pressure relief valve if they are important.
The only instruction that comes with the boat is that the pressure doesn't drop too low.
There is a possibility (a guess) that a manufacturer may have put pressure relief valves on tubes as a gimmick. Like, our tubes have them and others don't.
The temperature here reaches 38C degrees often and the tubes haven't exploded yet.
Hang on, I just heard a load bang.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 05:32   #4
Member
 
Fender's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
In the UK this is rarely an issue. Tubes can handle a pretty considerable temperature fluctuation.

Dark tubes on a hot summers day??
I've seen pressure relief valves blow on a black tubed rib before that's been sat in the sun on the south coast ( hence they run PRV's! )
__________________
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 12:30   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
I am new to RIBs and have just bought a new one. So, I basically know nothing.

The tubes on my RIB come with a warranty of 5 years and I can't see them giving a warranty on tubes without a pressure relief valve if they are important.
I would expect a ruptured tube warranty claim would be denied due to overpressure. Even though it can't be proved or denied. If I'm wrong I'd be delighted.

I boat in the arizona desert. High heat makes me burp my tubes a touch mid day just to have no regrets. But probably its the drive home with the afternoon heat change and the mountain pass crossing that is the real concern. I travel home in the morning at 2 psi. When at the top of the pass I cross midday I'm at about 4psi. Max is 4.3psi on my Futura.
My dealer warned me with a story about a guy who filled his tubes to full pressure at sea level and went over a 6000ft pass and blew his main tube.
I often wonder if I'd hear it while sitting in my truck?
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 14:52   #6
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Make: valiant v570
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 100
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,073
you boat in the desert
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 15:07   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I would expect a ruptured tube warranty claim would be denied due to overpressure. Even though it can't be proved or denied. If I'm wrong I'd be delighted.

I boat in the arizona desert. High heat makes me burp my tubes a touch mid day just to have no regrets. But probably its the drive home with the afternoon heat change and the mountain pass crossing that is the real concern. I travel home in the morning at 2 psi. When at the top of the pass I cross midday I'm at about 4psi. Max is 4.3psi on my Futura.
My dealer warned me with a story about a guy who filled his tubes to full pressure at sea level and went over a 6000ft pass and blew his main tube.
I often wonder if I'd hear it while sitting in my truck?
Pagic

In your scenario personally I would fit PRVS here in the uk the temp difference isn't that dramatic still OK to have PRVS but not essential IMO a lot of people seem to worry when they are at max pressure for their boat but that is working pressure and test pressure is different for all companies but you have a fair bit of leaway before the bang personally I just dump air when it's hot and inflate to suit when in use. I'm sure I read somewhere there's a combined inflation and PRV for sale bit of research needed
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 15:21   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Ferryman's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
you boat in the desert


You need to check out Lake Powell and there are plenty of others. We loved it and will definitely be back!
__________________
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 March 2019, 15:29   #9
Member
 
Lee argyle's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
you boat in the desert
Sealegs?
__________________
Fully fledged member of the ‘Bordering negligent and very irresponsible club’.
Lee argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 00:01   #10
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
you boat in the desert
Yes. And not only is it in the desert but I have to go under the “London Bridge” to head up river.
The same bridge you in the UK sold to the town of Lake Havasu City.
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 00:06   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Jeff Stevens. I posted before looking for a combo prv / fill valve but the lead some one segusted wasn’t fruitful for my boat. Perhaps others will have the right threaded valve.
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 02:45   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Jeff Stevens. I posted before looking for a combo prv / fill valve but the lead some one segusted wasn’t fruitful for my boat. Perhaps others will have the right threaded valve.
drop these a mail if there is a valve to suit they will know might help

https://www.polymarineshop.com/
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 03:07   #13
Member
 
chipko's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60/3.5 Hon2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere there's a combined inflation and PRV for sale bit of research needed


The combined prv/inflation valve was the Bravo Super Valve


https://www.thewetworks.co.uk/produc...-valve-4-35psi
__________________
chipko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 03:31   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
The combined prv/inflation valve was the Bravo Super Valve


https://www.thewetworks.co.uk/produc...-valve-4-35psi
nice one chipko
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 13:32   #15
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
You need to check out Lake Powell and there are plenty of others. We loved it and will definitely be back!
Lake Powell is the Holy Grail of boating lakes in the US. I went in 2016
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 13:51   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Lake Powell is the Holy Grail of boating lakes in the US. I went in 2016
I did lake mouhabe (cottonwood cove ) 2000 ,with some friends and GEC engineers who lived US but were living with the stealth bombers at USAF Lakenheath , "what an expierience " ,could,nt have bought it ! gondola boat to sleep on ,jet boat for daily fun ,unbelievable hospitality from US ,unbelievable place ,think from memory lake mead is the first lake behind the hoover dam and lake mouhabe is the second , please correct me if i am wrong .
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2019, 14:57   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
I did lake mouhabe (cottonwood cove ) 2000 ,with some friends and GEC engineers who lived US but were living with the stealth bombers at USAF Lakenheath , "what an expierience " ,could,nt have bought it ! gondola boat to sleep on ,jet boat for daily fun ,unbelievable hospitality from US ,unbelievable place ,think from memory lake mead is the first lake behind the hoover dam and lake mouhabe is the second , please correct me if i am wrong .
Lake Mojave is where your thinking. Ill post pics in the "Summer Trip" thread I just started. Ill let others post a few before I post Lake Mojave.
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2019, 18:48   #18
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
drop these a mail if there is a valve to suit they will know might help

https://www.polymarineshop.com/
Thanks jeffstevens,
They recommended C6 @ 5.5psi
I called my zodiac dealer. A new guy replaced the main tech guy I dealt with and he races with Futuras (taking a knife to a gun fight) anyway he over fills his main tubes past 6psi with no worries.
The original tech guy said to expect a rupture at any psi over 5.2psi. And that was pretty close to the 4.3psi recommended pressure.
Perhaps I've just been overly concerned. I'll just lower the pressure some for the drive home.
What's the worst that could happen.
__________________
pagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2019, 04:25   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Thanks jeffstevens,
They recommended C6 @ 5.5psi
I called my zodiac dealer. A new guy replaced the main tech guy I dealt with and he races with Futuras (taking a knife to a gun fight) anyway he over fills his main tubes past 6psi with no worries.
The original tech guy said to expect a rupture at any psi over 5.2psi. And that was pretty close to the 4.3psi recommended pressure.
Perhaps I've just been overly concerned. I'll just lower the pressure some for the drive home.
What's the worst that could happen.
hi pagick

it's been a big concern by some regarding tube pressure increase in hot weather i did speak to a well know tube manufacturer on here regarding tube test pressure and it's not much more than working pressure and has to hold that pressure for 24 hours + or - temp fluctuation i did do some maths a long time back and from memory an increase of 10 degrees C gives about 6% pressure increase which isn't a lot and dosnt get near test pressure, for me in all my 50 years of inflatable tubes ive always hit the tube with my hand if it rings it's up to pressure if the temp increases dramatically i dump some air and leave the dust caps off which is the secondary seal and allows a bit of air to dump unless your valves are leaking badly and never had any issues, over here in the uk ive found with my last two boats i pump up to pressure once a year and thats it i cover my boats too when not in use to keep them in the shade.
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×