Old 10 September 2015, 18:19   #1

Town: pula
Make: zodiac medline 2
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard, petrol 150
pressure relief valv

Hello

I have Zodiac medline 2, I want to install pressure relief valves on it. Correct pressure is 0.24 bar or 3.5 psi. So what pressure/colour of prv I should install,
white or orange from this chart?

http://www.ribstore.co.uk/cms-assets...urecolours.pdf

Also during winterising I would let them inflated at 50% of max pressure, that is info I read somewhere is that OK?

thanks!
Old 11 September 2015, 14:41   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko1307 View Post
Hello

I have Zodiac medline 2, I want to install pressure relief valves on it. Correct pressure is 0.24 bar or 3.5 psi. So what pressure/colour of prv I should install,
white or orange from this chart?

http://www.ribstore.co.uk/cms-assets...urecolours.pdf

Also during winterising I would let them inflated at 50% of max pressure, that is info I read somewhere is that OK?

thanks!
I'd probably do the Red since it is a nominal of 4.0 psi. That way the minimum is still higher than the factory recommend specs, so it actually is an "overpressure valve" not a source of a leak to drain your boat down below 3.0 psi.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2015, 16:28   #3

That is what confused me, minimum sealing psi would be pressure when valve stop leak but maximum opening psi is what confused me, is that maximmum pressure where valve relef but that could hapend before on lower psi somewhere betwean 3.48 and 5 psi or is that pressure that must be achived to open valve.*
If it would not open before 5 psi that is to high I would like it open and relief pressure before 5 psi.
Old 11 September 2015, 17:33   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Maximum opening pressure means that's the guaranteed maximum the valve will retain. It may open earlier, but will not exceed the max. Sort of like if a lumber yard says a board is 6 feet +/- 1". Might be 11' 9", might be 12' 1", but won't be 12' 1.5".

jky
Old 11 September 2015, 18:20   #5

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
pressure relief valv

Although not as critical in a rib as a sib, I'd also risk red, orange if nervous. Last thing you want is losing pressure below recommended operating pressure. Worst case red will blow off at 5 psi, slightly lower in reality, and Zodiac test tubes at higher pressures than this anyway.
I had an F-Rib, recommended 0.24 bar operating pressure, with white p.r. valves and would leach pressure down to well below 0.16 bar in a matter of hours - absolute pain in the derrière. Resulted in me eventually returning the boat.
Old 11 September 2015, 19:06   #6

I'll go whit red ones, if at hottest part of day is at 3,5 psi at morning/night it would be lower. I read on some forums that this PRV can be pain in the a... as they pick dirt and debris and leak. Some of users sad that they can be bigger problem than plus and remove them. Is that true or not?
Pressure for zodiac is 0.24 bar, is that max pressure alowed because if at hottest part of day I put them at 0.24 bar during night pressure drop to cca 0.20 bar, is that OK for night navigation.
Old 12 September 2015, 11:57   #7

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Fit the filter caps if you are worried about dirt clogging it
http://www.leafieldmarine.co.uk/prod...lief-valves/a6
Old 14 September 2015, 03:50   #8

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you hit the static pressure recommended (was it 3.5psi in the original post?) and go bashing into waves, the pressure in the tubes is something over 3.5 psi, at least instantaneously. If you go with a 3.5 psi OP valve, you'll find the tubes underinflated after a bit of rough water stuff (which is not exactly the time you want to break out the footpump.)

I'd say you want a bit over the recommended inflation pressure, as the OP valve is a safety feature, not a calibration feature.

jky