Old 16 June 2018, 06:01   #1

Town: Aldershot
Boat name: I
Make: I
Length: 6m +
Engine: I
Pressure release valves

I’m looking to buy a RIB and take it down and leave in southern Spain. Do I need pressure release valves in any boat I buy due to the extreme Spanish summer heat?!

Thanks
Mark
Old 16 June 2018, 06:07   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
wouldn't be a bad idea for peace of mind .my valiant has them and the only drawback I can see is after a hot spell on a cooler day you will have to top up the air in the tubes.
Old 16 June 2018, 06:15   #3

Thanks for the reply. IF I didn’t have them, would it be an issue? Surely the design of RIBs must allow for expansion from heat? ( sorry first rib purchase)
Old 16 June 2018, 06:53   #4

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgreenslade View Post
Thanks for the reply. IF I didn’t have them, would it be an issue? Surely the design of RIBs must allow for expansion from heat? ( sorry first rib purchase)

Just don’t leave it inflated at max pressure on a cold day knowing it’s gonna be a lot warmer when your not there.

I don’t have them, but then I only inflate the tubes by feel not using a gauge and going to the recommend max pressure.

I tend to think that pressure relief valves are more about protection against a tube impact I.e. if you bash the quay a bit hard.
Old 16 June 2018, 07:00   #5

Thanks for the comments. I’m looking at an Avon 620 this morn and just needed a bit of peace of mind before I go misty eyed when I visit. I take it the Avon’s are a good brand!
Old 16 June 2018, 07:28   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I’m looking at an Avon 620 this morn and just needed a bit of peace of mind before I go misty eyed when I visit. I take it the Avon’s are a good brand!

I had an Avon 4.01 a few years back. Didn’t get any serious use as my kids were tots at the time, but the build quality was fine. Can’t really comment on sea keeping as we only used it on flat days.

Sold it for double what a paid for it though and to a guy who claimed to know his ribs who traveled a couple of hundred miles to collect it so I presume he liked the brand.

Often on here you will hear that this brand is best and that one is not and as for Chinese....

But when you look often the ‘best’ brand is what they own.

If your gonna be out everyday and bashing into all sea states intentionally then you need something built like a brick, but if it’s an occasional pleasure craft then seating layout and cosmetics may be your priority.

They all float.

Mines Chinese- yes I’ve just lost all credibility. But it gets used half a dozen time a year through work commitments etc.

It look great has a family friendly layout, pulls toys and yes I have crossed Caernarfon bar in 8 ft swells. Was I concerned? - Hell yes, but that’s only sensible. I drove the boat. I.e took each wave separately altering course and power all the time. My boat was fine took a bit of water over the bow as one wave broke but never did I feel that I was beyond the ability of the ‘Chinese’ vessel beneath my feet.
Maybe a British brand could have hit these waves at 20 knots and gone airborne with no fear. - Maybe mine could, but I wouldn’t, no matter what brand it was.

Have a close look at it and go with your gut. Personally I like to see that they look like they have been looked after. Not too many patches on tubes and stress cracks in the gelcoat etc.

Only you know how your likely to be using it etc.

Good luck.

Ps. Because she’s Chinese I only paid 16k for her - 6 years old. 6.8mtr, hyperlon tubed with a 6 year old 140 Suzuki and 110 hours. And in my opinion looks awesome. And does everything I expect from her.
Old 16 June 2018, 07:43   #7

Great response and thank you. I have a searay185 in the Med at the mo which is useless in anything but flat calm! I’m hoping the rib alternative will mean many more days in the water regardless of sea state! Cheers
Old 16 June 2018, 08:08   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Ribcraft have pressure release valves fitted. Think about tube colour too. I'd also look for a bespoke cover unless its dry-stacked under cover as the sun will ravage tubes in prolonged sun. You can apply 3M UV hypalon conditioner as a suitable protection too.

Every time you go out you'll need to check tube pressure and top as required.
Old 16 June 2018, 08:25   #9

Quote:
Great response and thank you. I have a searay185 in the Med at the mo which is useless in anything but flat calm! I’m hoping the rib alternative will mean many more days in the water regardless of sea state! Cheers

If you keep it afloat, I’ve read on here that you should consider a rib that has its tubes above the water when moored. I don’t like the sound of either anti fouling tubes or scraping barnacles from one....

Not an issue if stored ashore.
Old 19 June 2018, 08:19   #10

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac FC470
Engine: Tohatsu 50
RIBase
I have black Zodiac FC470 and feel pressure release valves a must.
Here in Australia pressure can go up substantially parked on a beach in the middle of the day and valves give peace of mind I won't blow a seam due to pressure rising.
I find means I keep at ideal 240 and get better performance rather than being safe and soft and wriggling like a caterpillar over the water.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:17   #11

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I tend to think that pressure relief valves are more about protection against a tube impact I.e. if you bash the quay a bit hard.
100% disagree

'Protects the structure from over inflation and excess pressure build up due to solar heat.' - ribshop

and

Leafield A6 Pressure Relief 3.25psi HEN002141 - Henshaw Inflatables Ltd

'pressure relief valve provides a reliable method of preventing over inflation and excess pressure build up due to heat. The valve is set to release when the pressure reaches 3.25psi.'
Old 19 June 2018, 12:32   #12

Wouldn't want a rib in sun long periods without them personally. They are possible to retro fit though but it does mean cutting into the tubes and patch where you fit them.

Fwiw the Avon adventure isn't well thought of on this forum, I owned a 5.6 and it was a good boat for what I used it for at the time though. The tube colour won't be ideal in the bright sun but uv protector will help if you are keeping it outside.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:41   #13

Thank you for your comment. I’m slowly going off the RIB idea tbh!
Old 21 June 2018, 14:11   #14

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Undersee
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude 50
Just Do it

Hi
I have had a 4.8m rib in Spain for the past 7 years, with no relief valves. I put it into dry storage all covered up and let about 30% of the air out, and it stores fine. I have used the local caravan storage place that puts it indoors for about 350euros.