Old 08 July 2006, 21:40   #21

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
I cant understund the point with a catamaran rib. And for me itīs ugly to.
Old 09 July 2006, 11:21   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
Clearly another person who does not have a clue what he is talking about
Or possibly had a different experience with Hysucats than you did, and has a different opinion?

John
Old 09 July 2006, 11:33   #23

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch
Take a look at these, http://www.hysucat.co.uk/. We had a dealer in our area and he sold a few of the smaller ones but the idea never caught on and they are by no means a RIB. I took the dealer out in our 7.8 Ribcraft and showed him what a real RIB experience was like. He was very impressed.

I have also been on the cat and I'll just say it was a completely different type of ride than the RIB. I would not feel safe doing the same things I do with RIBs. The quality of the Hysucat was also very poor and they didn't seem to hold up well to abuse (normal RIB use).
Hysucats are still ribs, tubes etc fitted all the way to the nose, they are hard at the front, this is also an idea shared with other makes of ribs, In my opinion ribs in general havnt really caught on in the US, for a number of reasons.

This new cat rib although not a Hysucat , reminds me of the 6.5 we had.

I have two questions for the importer, does the front anchor locker, allow sea and rain water down , below deck and let it slowly fill up the hulls, if so , is there means to empty the hulls, whilist the boat is afloat, access hatch etc, and with the Cat shaped hull, how do you get engine fixing bolts below the water, line, are there two drain wells on the back deck, or is there access to the lower engine fixings.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2006, 19:11   #24

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
Clearly another person who does not have a clue what he is talking about
WOW! Did someone forget to take their medication? If you're going to be so bold then by all means, please educate me. *Thank you John*

"Hysucats are still ribs, tubes etc fitted all the way to the nose, they are hard at the front, this is also an idea shared with other makes of ribs"

I agree 100% and did not mean to badmouth any specific brand. My point was that there are many boats out there which have tubes or foam collars attached and are called RIBs but have deviated considerably from the original RIB concept. While these boats have tubes, they perform considerably different and, IN MY OPINION, can't compete with a well designed traditional RIB especially for ride comfort. For example, Safeboats are being extensively used by the US Coast Guard and are excellent for their specific application, but if you ask the people running them you will hear that while extremely safe they lack in ride quality compared to a traditional RIB.

There are many boat manufactures claiming to have the safety and comfort of a RIB but in our research we found it to not always be the case. Sure you can add safety and floation with the addition of a tube or collar or even compartmentalized aluminum chambers but it's the interaction of all the components with the water that affect ride quality.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2006, 09:44   #25

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: RIBcat 620
Make: RIBcat 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 90hp x 2
The RIBcat

The hull will not slam violently but you would certainly know you were not in a conventional monohull, the fact that you have two thinner hulls means that you would tend to cut through the wave rather than go over it.

Although, I admit this boat is not for taking out in a force 10 - but we will be trying it at some point - cross channel, cross the Irish sea - any where rough I suppose.

The hatch at the front is sealed well, no cheap materials are used on the boat so we can comfortably say that the hatch would not fill up.

As for the enigne well, please take a look below, you will see that the engines are fitted normally

"I have two questions for the importer, does the front anchor locker, allow sea and rain water down , below deck and let it slowly fill up the hulls, if so , is there means to empty the hulls, whilist the boat is afloat, access hatch etc, and with the Cat shaped hull, how do you get engine fixing bolts below the water, line, are there two drain wells on the back deck, or is there access to the lower engine fixings."

The deck and hulls are sealed so no water will get through to the hulls, please take a look at the picture to see the engine fitment.

The COST.

This includes twin 90hp Yamaha, trailer, electronics package, the boat, stainless steel handrails virtually all round (styling first, safety second), semi custom interior, Hydrofoils and shipping to the UK.

A similar sized RIB I saw at a show was also 35k, don't forget there are savings to be made in fuel, there is also more Fibre Glass with the extra hull and the design.

Without the engines the cost would be around 20k, to some a more attractive option if they can buy or already have two engines.

The RIBcat will also run off a single, we propose a 150hp and the speed exected is to be 50 knots.

The twin hulls combined with the Hydrofoils and the cushion of air created between the hulls will mean a very soft ride, with a kind of 'dampening' effect.

Phew

Best regards,

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-Tube.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	20825  
Old 10 July 2006, 15:55   #26

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: RIBcat 620
Make: RIBcat 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 90hp x 2
Cost

I forgot to mention that the price also includes VAT.