Old 28 June 2016, 13:34   #21

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I agree with Wilk the Atlantic coast of Ireland is not a place to be learning your trade.
Old 28 June 2016, 22:42   #22

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Nice area! The "harbour" at Bunagee is your obvious starting point - IIRC there's a really nice slip there? The east coast is relatively sheltered from the prevailing winds so you should get plenty of opportunity to get afloat. There are several other nice ports to begin trips to, from Malin to Moville. Indeed, once you get a feel for the boat, the Causeway Coast and Rathlin Island are only 20-35Nm away - easy on a nice day. Be aware that the coastline around there is not particularly well charted in parts and there are places with inshore rocks that will not all appear on a plotter. The area from Malin harbour (Portmor) around Malin Head to the west is an extremely unpredictable and potentially very dangerous stretch of water - I've had far worse trips through it than at the Corryvreckan. The same applies to Inishtrahull Island. The effects of wind over tide are very pronounced around it and there can be sudden and fierce overfalls.
Thanks
Old 29 June 2016, 11:59   #23

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Length: 5m +
Engine: dt85
So not to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar place. Just got a 5.2 rib and have never had any training on power boats. I have lived on a sail boat for a long time lived more than sailed. I worked as a water taxi driver(basically) for 5 years. Most of that was based in the harbor. I understand tides and currents very well cause I had to for my job ie bridges. To cut a long story short I can pilot a boat very well. But that's all at low speeds. I want to take a course but really have no idea where to in Ireland's south east. Any way do you guys have a few pointers for high speed travel? And for where abouts I can take these courses? Thanks. I will be boating mostly in the south east. Waterford to Cork. I currently live in Passage east / hook head, and really want to get out to the salties this summer.
Old 29 June 2016, 12:02   #24

Here is where I live it makes it hard to live with out a boat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1467201721.121443.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	114167
Old 29 June 2016, 13:27   #25

Town: Dublin
Hi Idsebby,

Sail Cork are around a long time and well regarded for power boat courses in Cork Area, or Dun Laoghaire Power Boat School in Dublin.
I've used one and plan to use the other when I get the opportunity.

Well worth doing.
The RYA books also good for knowledge base, particularly during the dark winter evenings.

Well worth planning your trip to avoid large overfalls around Hook Head, river outlow meets West tide I think.
I have planned Kilmore to Dunmore East, but we haven't got there yet this year.
Good info in almanac re overfalls etc
Will hopefully base the boat in Kilmore later in the year, for a few weeks.
Old 29 June 2016, 15:56   #26

Yeah the tides can be tricky here and at the hook. Seems best to avoid going out after ebb. I find its like glass just before but once the tide starts to leave the current is massive. I suppose that's when you would get the worst overfalls. Actually this is one of the main reasons I went and Got a rib. Didn't want something that would be only safe in nice conditions. If I bought a non commercial little fishing boat would only be going out when the weather was pretty and well that pretty much means never over here. You quickly learn your lessons when experienced fisher men get killed from your little town.
Old 30 June 2016, 17:24   #27

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi

As others have said the PB2 course is not just good for knowledge but also great fun. The instructor does make a huge difference though and I notice you are in Scotland so the best place I know if you want to do it here is You and Sea in Rhu on the clyde. Euan is the owner and he is a good guy and will help in any way he can.

If you can not fit it in then you also might want to join a few of us on Loch lomond for day as we often go there there if we are not away for the weekend. if thats of interest just PM me

Dave
Old 30 June 2016, 18:17   #28

Thanks for the info,Dave. I've booked PB2 at Seaforce in Glasgow city centre and am doing it in my own boat. I'll send you a message next time I'm heading to LL- interested to hear where you'd recommend visiting, we never go much past Inchmurrin.
Old 30 June 2016, 19:08   #29

Hi

we will defiantly out next weekend . the weather looks terrible this weekend sadly! where in gods country are you?
Old 30 June 2016, 19:15   #30

I'm in Glasgow Southside.
Old 30 June 2016, 19:34   #31

well we are in Gartcosh and have a redbay 6.1 so give me a shout the next time you are looking to head out as I work from home and always happy to go out for a blast. oh and there are a few of us so if your on pm your details and I will introduce you to a few folk as most weekends there are people out on the clyde or LL