Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 October 2013, 14:05   #1

Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Powerboat intermediate course - Weather looking wild

I'm booked on this course Wed/Thu this week out of southampton with a view to learning as much as I can how to handle a rib in varying conditions. However current forecast for Wed PM and Thurs AM show gusts well in excess of 30mph!!

With my very limited experience this really will be jumping in at the deep end or are they more likely to cancel it if the forecast doesn't ease off? What sort of limit would they set before saying it's a No-Go?
Old 14 October 2013, 14:21   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Who you booked with and do you know what boat is being used?

Looking locally http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

I would say no probs on this forecast, just a few gusts and you will be with an instructor
Old 14 October 2013, 14:26   #3

It's with Solent Boat Training in a 7.2m Ribcraft.

I've replied to the email they sent this morning with the form I need to complete and have asked about the weather but no reply yet.
Old 14 October 2013, 14:26   #4
RIBnet supporter

Here is link to course Intermediate | Powerboat | Courses | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA

Shows the idea for During the two days you also cover more advanced boat handling so I would say with Southampton as a start, no probs. If it got too bad , Southampton water is a great place also with opportunities on handling and passage planning into rivers etc
Old 14 October 2013, 14:28   #5
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennaro View Post
It's with Solent Boat Training in a 7.2m Ribcraft.

I've replied to the email they sent this morning with the form I need to complete and have asked about the weather but no reply yet.
I would be surprised if they were concerned about this forecast and I am sure your confidence will be greatly enhanced during the course. Boats very capable also. The idea is to build on knowledge and also practical abilities, so I would hope this weather will be a good few days out. It only shows gusts and even in The Solent with Wind over tide that boat with you will be fine
Old 14 October 2013, 14:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
I would be surprised if they were concerned about this forecast and I am sure your confidence will be greatly enhanced during the course. Boats very capable also. The idea is to build on knowledge and also practical abilities, so I would hope this weather will be a good few days out. It only shows gusts and even in The Solent with Wind over tide that boat with you will be fine
OK good to hear. I've only been out in a 3m SIB in flat calm conditions up to now. I'll just need to wrap up well I guess
Old 14 October 2013, 16:21   #7

Length: 7m +
It wont be a problem, it aint that bad, they will know places its likely to be rough and other places more sheltered, you will be doing a combination of practising slow manouvers and also fast stuff, plus rescure stuff, man overboard etc etc etc. You would want a mix bad of calmish and more exciting weather. Just make sure you wrap up well and good waterproofs if its going to be wet. Ive done PB2, intermediate and advanced, if its wet all day it aint nice you will gte wet.

Take a spare paid of socks, good waterproof footwear, hat, good gloves or two pairs.

you will be fine and will enjoy it.
Old 14 October 2013, 16:24   #8

and just to add, if it is wet and horrid a big flask of tea and some choky biscuits to take out with you would probably go down a treat after an hour or two in the rain and wind.
Old 14 October 2013, 16:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
It wont be a problem, it aint that bad, they will know places its likely to be rough and other places more sheltered, you will be doing a combination of practising slow manouvers and also fast stuff, plus rescure stuff, man overboard etc etc etc. You would want a mix bad of calmish and more exciting weather. Just make sure you wrap up well and good waterproofs if its going to be wet. Ive done PB2, intermediate and advanced, if its wet all day it aint nice you will gte wet.

Take a spare paid of socks, good waterproof footwear, hat, good gloves or two pairs.

you will be fine and will enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
and just to add, if it is wet and horrid a big flask of tea and some choky biscuits to take out with you would probably go down a treat after an hour or two in the rain and wind.
Great idea about the flask and biccies. They'll supply waterproofs but I'll take my own just in case they get drenched.

They just replied if the weather is bad they'll use a bigger boat
Old 14 October 2013, 17:42   #10

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
i did all of my practical PB courses with Safe Water Training based at New Brighton on The Wirral, launching direct onto The Mersey, they provided dry suits each time for when we were out on the water, certainly opened my eyes as to how much more comfortable you could be when wearing the proper kit. I soon bought my own 2nd hand dry suit shortly after doing my PB2 course, I updated it a couple of years later with a new suit which lasted me for best part of ten years, I treated myself to a new Typhoon Max B from RobinHood Watersports earlier this year, it's a great suit and RobinHood were great to deal with, spot on
Old 14 October 2013, 17:56   #11

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
My drysuit is currently being repaired (new feet being fitted) in readiness for using the rib throughout the winter. My aim is to use the rib at least one a month (hopefully more but at least once every month) throughout the winter. Should be toasty even in Jan in my drysuit.

Chris

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 19:03   #12

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
My drysuit is currently being repaired (new feet being fitted) in readiness for using the rib throughout the winter. My aim is to use the rib at least one a month (hopefully more but at least once every month) throughout the winter. Should be toasty even in Jan in my drysuit.

Chris

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
can't beat a good warm drysuit
Old 15 October 2013, 11:13   #13

Town: Plymouth
Make: Humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2007 Merc 75hp 2S
I did mine over the weekend 12/13 in very similar conditions, it was blowing about 30knotd and very lumpy.

They still took us out though, we had to passage plan and whilst out on the water take bearings etc to reference points we made!

The rib we were in have a nice deep vee and handled the conditions very well!

Just get some decent foul weather gear, hat, gloves, boots, you will be fine.

The company will decide whether it will be called off or not.
Old 15 October 2013, 12:52   #14

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
I am not getting 30 knots for
Thursday only 25 but either way Southampton is a sheltered place for training .
I am out running a Yachtmaster work up so will look out for a bedraggled bunch on a Ribcraft which are good sea boats so you will be fine.
Tim
Old 15 October 2013, 15:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin View Post
I am not getting 30 knots for
Thursday only 25 but either way Southampton is a sheltered place for training .
I am out running a Yachtmaster work up so will look out for a bedraggled bunch on a Ribcraft which are good sea boats so you will be fine.
Tim
Forecast has come down a little since I first posted this. As you say they'll know where will be a little more sheltered if necessary.

Can't wait