Old 11 May 2012, 14:05   #1

Length: 7m +
Powerboat & Rib Show - Today

Just got back from a quick visit to the show or should I say what I could find of a show. A few Ribs and a couple of hard boats. And a few stalls. Even being a free entry show I felt it was a waste of time driving to Portsmouth. Not as busy as Cowes past few years and different vibe. I did have a chat and a look at a new Artic Blue Rib which looked very cool indeed. Apart from that very dissapointed.
Old 11 May 2012, 15:25   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
I'm gazing out of my office window at it and I agree. Went for a wander at lunch time. Maybe it will pick up tomorrow? A few of the big boys missing that I was expecting to see. Nice if you need to do some shopping anyway and aren't too far away I guess.
Old 11 May 2012, 15:32   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
My Missus will be pleased for tomorrow then. She thought she was being lumbered with the kids around Gunwharf shopping, whilst I spent hours and hours looking over and possibly trying out some eye candy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 15:35   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold
Just got back from a quick visit to the show or should I say what I could find of a show. A few Ribs and a couple of hard boats. And a few stalls. Even being a free entry show I felt it was a waste of time driving to Portsmouth. Not as busy as Cowes past few years and different vibe. I did have a chat and a look at a new Artic Blue Rib which looked very cool indeed. Apart from that very dissapointed.
Glad I didn't bother today then......
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 15:36   #5

Town: River Hamble
Looks like not sepnding £1200 on a stand was the right move then.
Old 11 May 2012, 15:44   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
view

view of show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	68125  
Old 11 May 2012, 16:01   #7
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Bigger

Sorry that last one was a bit small. Nice Destroyer in the back ground though...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rib3.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	68128  
Old 11 May 2012, 16:02   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries View Post
view of show
bbc???
Old 11 May 2012, 16:04   #9
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Lord no!

Next one along.
Old 11 May 2012, 16:06   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
Lord no!

Next one along.
If I had known I would have come up and said hello and probably got thrown out. Yes quiet but to be fair this was always the same on Friday start days. The layout is a little off putting as RIBs easy on water but the stands are very spaced out all the way from the water side up to the road way and also in the centre so you dont see it all together. I think weekend weather will help those who are at show.
Old 11 May 2012, 17:17   #11

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I went along this afternoon.

As always at this sort of thing I had a nice long chat with Andre who is such a gentleman putting up with the likes of me who could never afford to purchase one of his great boats. The new Parker looks great, and it was great to catch up.

I really hope it picks up over the weekend for the sake of the exhibitors as it was very quiet.

To be very honest, and I can only comment for today, it was Cr*p, and I mean really Cr*p.

There are hardly any trade stands at all, and the ones that are there are spaced out along the length of the canal in a very comical way to fill the space. It's so obvious that nobody has booked trade space, and a more sensible option would be to bunch them up so it's not so obvious/funny.

The pontoons have hardly any boats on them, and I was probably one of about a dozen people actually walking about on them despite the usual array of shoppers and other visitors to Gunwharf.

I think HMS has really got this wrong, as the entrance to the pontoons is not inviting at all, and it doesn't actually say anything like 'come and have a look'.
The entrance to the ramp is guarded by a security guard, and the lack of people makes it look like you need an appointment or ticket to get in.
As I walked through I felt as if I was sneaking in, not at all like I was being invited down to look at the shiny boats.

As I walked off the ramp it was even worse, as the small entrance was completely blocked by HMS and some other guys talking, making it even less likely anyone would dare to try and enter.

Overall, the £2.90 it cost me to park for 1.5hrs was worth it to catch up with Andre, but that included time to sit and have lunch, had I not chatted with Andre 1/2hr would have covered it.

Just my opinion.

Nasher.
Old 11 May 2012, 17:30   #12
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: -
For me it was perfect. I knew who was going to be there and spent the morning with the C Fury guys who even took me out for a good demo in some decent chop, I then spent an hour or so on the Coastal pro seat stand and unlike the other boat shows I got time, attention and proper customer service. This is obviously because it was quiet but I only needed to see these companies. It's never going to be as big as Southampton, find out who's there, if you have no interest in them don't go, just like any other event. If you want proper time talking to some company in particular, it's better than any other show as there aren't dozens crowding the stands.
Old 11 May 2012, 17:33   #13

Town: Fareham
Thanks for the reports guys.

I'm taking the boat across tomorrow to make an afternoon of it with the family. Spot of lunch at Gunwarf, shopping, walk around Old Portsmouth for a drink, along Sally Port to the arcades for the kids and back for Fish and Chips.

At least I'll be doing something interesting if the show doesn't pick up.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 20:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
Looks like not sepnding £1200 on a stand was the right move then.
Probably, it might get busier at the weekend but I doubt it. Many serious boat people probably don't fancy gun wharf at a weekend. I don't think it works at gun wharf but I could be wrong.
Old 11 May 2012, 20:20   #15

That made me laugh, yes the security guards are intimidating, when I went to go back up the ramp they made a point of being vocal and making sure I exited on the left, even though I was the only one on the ramp. I think there were about 30 people on the pontoons, that's 27 exhibitors and 3 visitors. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I went along this afternoon.

As always at this sort of thing I had a nice long chat with Andre who is such a gentleman putting up with the likes of me who could never afford to purchase one of his great boats. The new Parker looks great, and it was great to catch up.

I really hope it picks up over the weekend for the sake of the exhibitors as it was very quiet.

To be very honest, and I can only comment for today, it was Cr*p, and I mean really Cr*p.

There are hardly any trade stands at all, and the ones that are there are spaced out along the length of the canal in a very comical way to fill the space. It's so obvious that nobody has booked trade space, and a more sensible option would be to bunch them up so it's not so obvious/funny.

The pontoons have hardly any boats on them, and I was probably one of about a dozen people actually walking about on them despite the usual array of shoppers and other visitors to Gunwharf.

I think HMS has really got this wrong, as the entrance to the pontoons is not inviting at all, and it doesn't actually say anything like 'come and have a look'.
The entrance to the ramp is guarded by a security guard, and the lack of people makes it look like you need an appointment or ticket to get in.
As I walked through I felt as if I was sneaking in, not at all like I was being invited down to look at the shiny boats.

As I walked off the ramp it was even worse, as the small entrance was completely blocked by HMS and some other guys talking, making it even less likely anyone would dare to try and enter.

Overall, the £2.90 it cost me to park for 1.5hrs was worth it to catch up with Andre, but that included time to sit and have lunch, had I not chatted with Andre 1/2hr would have covered it.

Just my opinion.

Nasher.
Old 11 May 2012, 20:29   #16

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Looks like there were more ribs on the Anglesey trip.
Old 11 May 2012, 21:17   #17

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
As usual there will be those who like the show and those who don't.
It was the same with Ribex in Cowes. why on the IOW why not on the mainland ect

We had not done Ribex (now PBR show) for a few years but when I heard that it was going to be at Gunwharf I decided we should exhibit.

As far as I remember even when Ribex was in Cowes Friday was never a busy day.
Hopefully the weather will be good for Saturday and Sunday and we will all have a good show and a good time.

Give HMS a chance to make this work and stop banging him. Where would we be without people like him.

Simon it was great to see you and to have a chat . I am now back on the water so I am sure we will meet up in the Solent soon

Sir Robin Knox-Johnston came on board the Solent Voyager and interviewed Adam the owner / operator for BBC Solent radio. This interview was on the air at 7 PM

Solent Voyager is now at Gunwharf and we may do a few short blasts into the Solent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040757a.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	68141   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040743a.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	68142  
Old 12 May 2012, 07:13   #18

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
the entrance to the pontoons is not inviting at all, and it doesn't actually say anything like 'come and have a look'.
Totally agree. I knew it was free, but even then remember saying to my buddy "do we need to get a ticket from somewhere". As you say, a big sign saying "free boatshow" or something would help greatly, along with slightly less intimidating security!
Old 12 May 2012, 08:22   #19

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
well....

Me and mrs b are down from kent. Stayed in the swankey holiday inn ! And went out for di ner in gun wharf quays. Must be said im a little dissapointed in the size of it, however as a first time at gwq its going to take a while to get it right!

It is good to support a show such as this and i hope it is successful to the chaps on ere that are exhibiing.

Ill be down this morning however i think well sped more time shopping around the centre than the show. Hopefully this will grow in size as the years go on.

Good luck to all taking the trip.

PB
Old 12 May 2012, 10:13   #20

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
guess whatever HMS does, you can't please all the people all the time, but at least they are trying to do something and put a show on
as mick said, probably more ribs on Anglesey trip the other weekend, maybe that's the way to go for some exhibitors, show your ribs off at a RIBNET cruise, there we two on that cruise and they both seemed to enjoy the day