Old 01 December 2007, 18:18   #11
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2

In my limited experience I have found that in a head see you are much better off trimmed in for the opposite of the two reasons you have highlighted below. may tend not to rise quite so readily
Actually the main problem I have found is that it does rise and far too easily as you go off the top of the wave if you are trimmed out the RIB is more likely to come off the wave very nose high. I have never found my RIB to feel remotely like its going to stuff when going into a head see trimmed in.

2......raising the bow would present the sharp edge of the V section to assist in parting the wall of water ahead.

No quite the opposite in my opinion the sharper bit is where the bow sweeps up to meet the tubes, the more you raise the boat the further back its going to ride and the shallower the VEE becomes. I find the ride much smoother in choppy conditions when trimmed in.

Clearly different RIBS have different attributes however with mine this is certainly what I have found.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2007, 05:25   #12
Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
This also used to be a conundrum to me!

I resolved it by realising that I was not visualising a BIG ENOUGH sea.

If you think of a really big sea compared to your RIB or what you have currently experienced where you really are having to drive up and down the 'fronts and backs' of the waves then I think the recommendations show their worth.

David G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2007, 12:16   #13
Town: Poole
Length: 6m +

Hi, I think the answers to the question that you raise have really been posted by others but I thought i'd comment given you were keen on a RYA Instructor commenting.

Rational for trim down into a head sea is that this keeps the bow down and thus better uses the V of the bow to cut into the wave and through the top part of it hopefully keeping the bow further down (reducing how much it goes skywards) than it otherwise would be if the nose were trimmed up. As others rightly fully comment this goes hand in hand with use of the throttle to position the boat/bow appropriately to take the approaching wave.

Some outdrive legs on motor crusiers (ours included) have a zero position for leg trim that is not fully trimmed in. This is the optimum position for trim but you can go to negative trim if you so wish. Some larger RIBs can achieve the same effect as they have trim tabs which they can use to push the nose further down.

In my experience each boat is slightly different and you just have to experiment to see how best to set your boat up for the conditions you are facing.

If you are interested in reading more than is covered in the article/RYAPowerboat Handbook then i'd recommned Fast Boats & Rough Seas by Dag Pike (or his newer book Fast Boat Seamanship)

Paul Glatzel
Powerboat Training UK, Poole & Lymington & Aquasafe Powerboat School, Lymington,
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote