Old 30 June 2013, 16:42   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
power boat and jetski racing Plymouth

Did anyone else watch this . We were out fishing so fished from a good place to watch .
The powerboats sounded great, all those etecs at full chat , but comments from all were "How boring it was as they just raced the same way round course" all left turns
Then out came the Jetski's, they followed a rib around the same course as the powerboats for ages , when the race did start speed was very impressive but it got even more boring than the powerboats on the same course so we and many other watching boats headed off somewhere more intersting .
Other people at the slipway were all feeling same as us , comments like what a wast of money that sport is and it lacked imagination etc etc .

The sailing mutlihulls were imressive and on a different circuit .
Old 30 June 2013, 23:03   #2

Town: Looe - Plymouth
Boat name: Teal
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 175
MMSI: 235087776
Hi Ian
I too was there on Saturday, lovely day out in and around Plymouth harbour, we all got a bit sun burnt. I had planned to watch the Route des Princes see Home - La Route des Princes 2013 the huge multi hulls where great to watch up close when they were practising before racing, but when the racing began we were kept so far away from the action, there was little to see. We didn’t stay long.
Equally the P1 powerboats, viewed from a minimum of ½ mile is very dull. I remember watching the F1 powerboats in Bristol Harbour many years ago, about 10m away from boats doing 100mph, that was fantastic.
I enjoyed the airshow, saw a great demonstration of jumping circles in the air with a trick jetski, and having a close look at the P1 boats moored up in harbour
Last year I saw the J class yachts racing off Falmouth, great day, we could follow the boats really closely, loads of ribs doing the same, and there was a live commentary being broadcast on our VHFs
Anyhow back to the point I don’t think the P1 powerboat racing is a spectator sport, with a few teaks could be a lot better, I am sure it’s a sport for competitors.
Old 01 July 2013, 06:01   #3

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
A lot of racing sports are boring. Think how dull marathons are to watch; and Formula 1 come to that.