Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 April 2014, 19:07   #1

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
Possible Hurricane H530 project?

I've been offered an ex RCMP 1989 Zodiac Hurricane H530. It currently has a Yamaha 150hp on it but as I've noted the fact that the boat is only rated to 90hp the owner has offered it to me less the motor. There are some patches on the tubes but it doesn't look bad in the photos. Catch is I'll have to drive 2,200km round trip to go see it. Any ideas on what this RIB might be worth? Owner is asking $10,500 CAN with motor and $6,500 without. It does come with a trailer.
Old 11 April 2014, 09:36   #2

Town: S/E Queensland
Boat name: White Hurricane
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 6LP 315hp Jet
That's a reasonable price! Ask what the last 2 numbers are, on the serial number on the tubes. It will be a glued on aluminum plate toward the bow if they are original hurricane tubes. Those number are the year of manufacturing. If there less than 10 years old they should still have some good service in them. The hulls with deep chines on the edge of the hull were a fair bit of a rougher ride. It would probably handle that motor, but is it " legal" but again good price for motor. A mate circumnavigated Vancouver Island in a hurricane 533 with a 200 hp. The hull eventually delaminated along the port and starboard sides, where the hull section is glued to the deck section! That would be the other thing to check out, the condition of the hull. If the tubes aren't too old, and the hulls in good nick,it's a bargin IMHO. Hurricane 590 sold recently in Australia for around $60k, twin 60 hp mariners in mint condition.
Old 11 April 2014, 16:43   #3

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
The tubes are 25 years old but seem ok in the photos, there are a few patches.