Old 04 April 2005, 21:53   #1

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Possible hole in insurance.

I've recently been getting insurance quotes and, in all of the policies I've seen so far, there is a lack of cover in one area, namely, third part cover for the boat while it is on the trailer.

My motor insurance covers damage I might do with the trailer. The boat insurance covers the damage I might do to the boat but neither of them cover the damage I might do with the boat while it is on the trailer. So, if, say, I scraped along a car with the trailer, it's covered. If I scraped along a car with the boat, I'm not covered. If the boat left the trailer, (heaven forbid), I would not be covered for the damage it might cause although I would be covered for damage caused to the boat.

There's a need to drive very carefully!
Old 05 April 2005, 07:16   #2

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Insurance

Hi JW.

As I understand it with my policy (Mardon Marine), all the time the boat is on a trailer and attached to a vehicle it is covered under my motor policy for any third party damage, however caused.

If I were to unhook from the vehicle and cause damage to anything/one it is covered by my Marine Policy.

what clause are you refering to in your policy to come to this conclusion?

Cheers
Old 05 April 2005, 10:44   #3

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
Seems a good place to add my own sorry story

In August 2003 my parked car, was hit by a boat being hand-towed at the time by its owner on its trailer. About £500 damage.

We exchanged names and addresses, and I also cross-checked his address with the launch facility - albeit I bet they were breaking some data protection act in helping me out on that one! I also got a 3rd party witness who I gather has responded in my favour.

Crucially I didn't get either his boat or car insurance details - seemed a bit overkill when the guy was all wet-suited up etc.

All my car insurance company (Frizzell) will do is write letter after letter to him - but he hasn't responded to any - even though my insurance company also believes his address checks out as valid. That's as far as they will go; they won't begin any court procedings etc for me. On the basis that it's not cost effective for them to do so!

One thing they did say is that they would have more of a lever on this guy if I'd also noted his car registration - which I'd obviously also try and do next time.

The lessons - make sure you get *all* the details at the time - I almost wish I'd also called the police. And don't respond to letters from insurance companies if you're the guilty party!

And I really must get around to checking out the small claims process for bringing a private case - I think it's a 2 year limit which is running out fast.
Old 05 April 2005, 10:50   #4

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Yes, it's not cost effective for them, yet they'll happily take your no claims bonus & increase your premium instead.
Old 05 April 2005, 11:10   #5

Town: Brittany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R
And I really must get around to checking out the small claims process for bringing a private case - I think it's a 2 year limit which is running out fast.
You can do it on-line here

It's not very painful for the claimant, but should get his attention.
Old 05 April 2005, 11:34   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson
You can do it on-line here

It's not very painful for the claimant, but should get his attention.
I’ve had to take two people to court via the small claims procedure and I wouldn’t both again despite the judgment going in my favour both times it cost me a lot of money and I didn’t get a penny back Des
Old 05 April 2005, 11:58   #7

Town: Brittany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I’ve had to take two people to court via the small claims procedure and I wouldn’t both again despite the judgment going in my favour both times it cost me a lot of money and I didn’t get a penny back Des
I agree, if some-one doesn't want to pay & doesn't care about their credit record, there is almost nothing you can do without spending a lot of money, but that applies to County Court judgements as well.
Old 05 April 2005, 14:42   #8

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
JW,

As a matter of interest, how long is your trailer & what vehicle do you use for towing?

Ian.
Old 05 April 2005, 16:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth
......what clause are you refering to in your policy to come to this conclusion?
AY, Below are snippets from the policy documents for 2 of the quotes I got. There are others and they have the same exclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat ins1 x 640.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	11218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat ins 2 x 640.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	11219  
Old 05 April 2005, 16:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
JW,

As a matter of interest, how long is your trailer & what vehicle do you use for towing?

Ian.
Trailer section, excluding drawbar, 6950mm.
Designed to stay legal.

Disco, mostly.

Why?
Old 05 April 2005, 16:44   #11

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Trailer section, excluding drawbar, 6950mm.
Designed to stay legal.

Disco, mostly.

Why?

I asked because of the 7 metre law and kerb weight of the towing vehicle.

Judging by your reply you are aware of this Good job the trailer is not 51mm longer

Regards.

Ian.
Old 05 April 2005, 19:45   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I've made County Court claims four times so far, and in my experience it works very well. Two settled out of court, one failed to respond so I got "judgement by default", one went to court and I won.

In both cases that didn't settle early I sent the bailiffs in (using a rather wonderfully termed "Warrant of execution"!) and got paid in full. There are several other ways of getting your money once you have a judgement in your favour, including an attachment of earnings order.

The on line system www.moneyclaim.gov.uk makes it very simple.

John
Old 06 April 2005, 07:15   #13

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Loop hole

Hi JW,

Thanks for your reply I will re-check the wording on my policy.

Have you questioned this with your broker If so, what was the reply or are you afraid to ask the question just in case it comromises the policy

Are there any Ribsters with an insurance background that can shed some light on this topic?

Cheers
Old 24 January 2006, 12:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Youth
Are there any Ribsters with an insurance background that can shed some light on this topic?
I hope that this post is not too late to be of use.

Third party liability whilst in transit should be covered by the towing vehicle's policy and this should include the boat, trailer, engine and any other items of equipment that might be attached to the vehicle or trailer.

However if the boat is being moved by hand, as in Neil R's case, the vehicle's insurance policy would not come into the equation. In this situation, the boat's insurance policy should provide cover in the same way as if the accident was caused on the water.

Neil R - Did you try to claim from your own RIB Insurance policy? If you have paid for a comprehensive policy this should cover accidental damage to your boat, your boat has been damaged, your insurers should pay. If they decide to pursue the third party, for their outlay, that is up to them.

John Kennett posted an article at http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ight=insurance which may be of interest.

RIB Insurance
- Instant on-line quotations and immediate insurance.

Search our directory of RIBs For Sale
Noble Marine is offline   Reply With Quote