RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Possible charges for Loch Lomond

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-11936181

Whilst undoubtedly great facilities at Balloch - they are not going to do themselves any favours by introducing charges at this level. There is no need for the level of staffing they typically have at Balloch.

The proposals mean that for someone who uses the loch for one day a year will be 45.

There is more info here: http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/...ond%202011.pdf and here : http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/...%20and%20A.pdf

Interestingly the proposals are slightly vague, and imply ALL craft (including those without engines) would be required to pay the annual 30 fee. If that means ALL craft, and regardless of launch location then this would appear to be in contravention of the Land Reform Act. It may also breach a long standing right of navigation even for motorised craft.

I'm concerned that the publication of this information appears to have happened just this week and is due for approval at the Board next week. Board members can expect emails tonight.
Old 07 December 2010, 14:54   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Isn't it strange...

You find yourself feeling sorry for people that you know you really shouldn't.
This morning it was the Aussie cricket team....
This evening the board members at Loch Lomond

Old 08 December 2010, 05:17   #3

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
i guess i won't be using loch lomond for the forseeable then. i only just registered my boat last week there aswell in that very office at balloch beside the slipway....doh.

there are other free slipways if need be and the good old clyde.

cheers
Old 08 December 2010, 05:21   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I've not had a chance to fully digest all that, but at a very high level and looking at it from a (very) occasional user's viewpoint, 15 / day is not too dissimilar to certain marinas round the clyde, which for the number of times I use the place I could live with, although for 15 there are far more places to go on the Clyde......

At a higher level I can see why they want / need to do it, but you do have to wonder what the high level fallout will be:
- all the "off water" spend in local pubs / restaurants from the people who donlt want to pay & go elsewhere
- the increase in work for the CG / RNLI as the people who don't want to pay take their boats out on the Clyde instead and discover this weird new thing called "tide".....
Old 08 December 2010, 07:04   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I've not had a chance to fully digest all that, but at a very high level and looking at it from a (very) occasional user's viewpoint, 15 / day is not too dissimilar to certain marinas round the clyde, which for the number of times I use the place I could live with, although for 15 there are far more places to go on the Clyde......
Ralph,

I agree 15 for the standard of facilities at Balloch is not ridiculous (although from zero is a bit of a jump), BUT they want another 30 a year on top for the privilege of using the loch at all - so that is 45 if you only use it for one day.
Quote:
At a higher level I can see why they want / need to do it, but you do have to wonder what the high level fallout will be:
- all the "off water" spend in local pubs / restaurants from the people who donlt want to pay & go elsewhere
- the increase in work for the CG / RNLI as the people who don't want to pay take their boats out on the Clyde instead and discover this weird new thing called "tide".....
Absolutely.
Old 08 December 2010, 07:56   #6

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Passed Loch Lomond earlier this year on the way to Loch Oich. Was seriously considering a week in the Loch Lomond are next summer and bringing the boat.
This has certainly put me off, especially when there are other places to go for free.

Don't think this is going to be good for the tourist industry.

Best wishes

Jake
Old 08 December 2010, 08:01   #7

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ralph,

I agree 15 for the standard of facilities at Balloch is not ridiculous (although from zero is a bit of a jump), BUT they want another 30 a year on top for the privilege of using the loch at all - so that is 45 if you only use it for one day.

Absolutely.
don't forget the registration fee aswell. (i paid 10 quid last week) or is registration going upto 30?

cheers
Old 08 December 2010, 08:13   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ah, I read it as an "or". If it's an "and" then I certainly won't be renewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
don't forget the registration fee aswell. (i paid 10 quid last week) or is registration going upto 30?
10? was that with or without the numbers? I'm sure it was only a fiver when I did it (numbers were extra)
Old 08 December 2010, 08:42   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post

cheers
Dubrus, the point is there is NO registration fee at present. They are effectively proposing a 30 registration fee. There is currently a one off charge of 5 for numbers (I think 10 includes putting them on a "hard board"?) - you have the option of providing your own numbers - which almost nobody does. BUT the 5/10 charge is a one off lifetime fee. Then if you renew annually at the Balloch office it is free from then on (or 1 to do it by post).
Old 08 December 2010, 08:43   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Ah, I read it as an "or". If it's an "and" then I certainly won't be renewing.
It is an AND there is a worked example in the board papers.

There is an annual slipway option of 55, + 30 for annual reg. Which is you are there every weekend is probably OK.