Old 08 December 2010, 12:44   #11

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
the 10 quid was inc numbers. if you want boards it is an extra 7.50.

thankfully the ones that do the most complaining are the ones that will lose the most here (fishermen in 12ft boats) so there is a good chance this will be thrown out if they get their way.

cheers

Old 09 December 2010, 02:52   #12

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Length: 3m +
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Having only spent a week this June on Loch Lomond, So my experiance and opinion is very limited.

I think that a "blind man" could see this coming with the amount of investment and level of service at the slipway and shopping area.

I don't think that the proposed charges are too much when compared to other waters around the UK.

When my local water (Llangorse lake) charges 23 per launch with no facilities like Balloch and a 5mph speed limit. They do have a deal that if you pre-pay for 10 launches you can have it for 150

As for the regular user I think that the annual 55 cost is also quite reasonable. (@ Just over a 1 per week.)

One reason for my thoughts is that when we were at Lomond in June paying over 100 per day for fuel then an extra 15 would be tolerable.

Just my 2p worth. And now preparing to take cover.

Old 09 December 2010, 04:29   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Seabay,

Absolutely agree, but it's the occasional users who will not come back, and arguably will use more of the land based entertainment, B&B etc rather than taking the boat straight home at the end of the day.

Lets say I had a trailer sailer yacht / Wayfarer dinghy type of craft. Fuel cost is zero. Suddenly that 55 for my day on the loch seems a lot more expensive, especially when a good chunk of the reason most people buy that kind of boat is to take it to differnet places! Also to put the cost into perspective, I guess you have a reasonable sized lump on your transom - in my old SR4 55 would have more than doubled the fuel cost for the day.

Yes, If I lived in Balloch & was out there every weekend I would mutter a bit but probably pay. Thing is I don't , so if costs go up I will be (much) less tempted to use the place now.
Old 09 December 2010, 07:32   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabay View Post
Having only spent a week this June on Loch Lomond, So my experiance and opinion is very limited.
Whilst i can see it as a slight irritation to someone coming up from down south for a week, it is as you say, just one of many costs involved. Likewise if you are one of the Loch Lomond regulars who is out every weekend then it will not be a huge deal with 85 total cost (registration and launch permit) when viewed across the whole year. The people it will hit are people who may come up for one weekend a year only (60 for a weekend), or people who may only go for one day a year (e.g. we planned a christmas cruise of the loch a few years ago - how many people would have signed up for their only trip on the loch that year at a 45 cost)

Quote:
I think that a "blind man" could see this coming with the amount of investment and level of service at the slipway and shopping area.
I agree that charges for the slipway have always been the elephant in the room. Charges to use the loch however are ridiculous. Even if you don't use the NPA's slipway you'll need to pay them. The facilities at Balloch are good (and I believe they were upgrading Milarochy Bay this year) - but do they need to be that good? Do we need three ribs for the rangers to "patrol in" (I've only seen one out at a time!). Do they need replaced at the end of their (rather gentle) 5 year life? Do we need so many traffic wardens at the top of the slipway? Are we (the taxpayer funding the NPA) getting value for money?

I guess the question should be why haven't they been charging for slipway use until now?

Quote:
I don't think that the proposed charges are too much when compared to other waters around the UK.

When my local water (Llangorse lake) charges 23 per launch with no facilities like Balloch and a 5mph speed limit. They do have a deal that if you pre-pay for 10 launches you can have it for 150
yes but I believe they own the lake, so can charge whatever they like / can get away with. The NPA do not own Loch Lomond! They do own the slipway - and I have no real objection to a 15 fee for that. A

Quote:
As for the regular user I think that the annual 55 cost is also quite reasonable. (@ Just over a 1 per week.)
Most of the true regulars actually keep their boats afloat or in the caravan parks etc - which have their own slips - so they'll avoid the slipway fees (or pay one day at the start of the season).

Quote:
One reason for my thoughts is that when we were at Lomond in June paying over 100 per day for fuel then an extra 15 would be tolerable.

Just my 2p worth. And now preparing to take cover.
I think that is why possibly a "flat rate scheme" is not appropriate. I've never spent more that 30 on fuel for a day's boating.
Old 09 December 2010, 07:34   #15
RIBnet admin team

If this http://www.lochlomondassociation.co....sp?TOPIC_ID=43 is true then the 30 per annum operational fee is voluntary... (I can see a lot of people rushing to pay that then!). I can see no mention of it being voluntary in the board papers.
Old 09 December 2010, 08:07   #16

i have only used a boat on the loch once a few years ago when i had a berth at balloch over winter as i boought a new outboard and they gave me a berth to have a warranty period. the facilities imo are not that great-try getting fuel/power/water for example.

i was planning to go during the summer for a couple of days but i'm firmly in the won't be paying so won't be going category if the charges are at the upper teir.

i was talking to one of the 5 people in the office last week and asking about their ribs. they said a searider 5.4 and a 7m ribtec i think they said. i never seen the ribs but that was what they said they used. they never said they were replaced every 5 years or anything as was only a passing interest.

cheers
Old 09 December 2010, 08:46   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
they said a searider 5.4 and a 7m ribtec i think they said. i never seen the ribs but that was what they said they used. they never said they were replaced every 5 years or anything as was only a passing interest.
They bought an 11m Redbay Cabin Rib for approx 250k a few years ago.

A 7.5 m Humber with twin 115 HP engines, its 5 yrs old and they estimate a replacement cost of 100k!!!

The have a Searider 5.4 with a 60HP engine, and they are suggesting 50k to replace it.
Old 09 December 2010, 09:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

A 7.5 m Humber with twin 115 HP engines, its 5 yrs old and they estimate a replacement cost of 100k!!!

The have a Searider 5.4 with a 60HP engine, and they are suggesting 50k to replace it.
ahhh yes i've seen the cabin rib in pics-nice bit of tackle for a relatively small loch eh.

cheers
Old 09 December 2010, 10:02   #19

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
It may be small(ish), but the weather can kick up like stink in there.....
Old 09 December 2010, 11:06   #20

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

See attatched pics...

P.s not quite 100 but it was 1.30 a litre back in June

I will say that on reflection How helpfull the Rangers were. With local information and sharing some local knowlage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loch ranger.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	56003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch Ranger2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	56004   Click image for larger version

Name:	petrolpump.JPG
Views:	60