Old 14 July 2018, 15:36   #1

Town: Guildford
Length: 5m +
Portsmouth to Salcombe

Am planning a passage from Portsmouth to Salcombe in a couple of weeks in a Cobra 8m with Yamaha 300hp, and keeping fingers crossed for calm weather. Anyone done it before? Any tips or advice?
Old 14 July 2018, 21:05   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
If the weather's like this, it would be fine in a boat like that. I only did Poole -> Yarmouth and back today, but was thinking I had plenty of fuel onboard to go further, was a shame not to go somewhere else!

I've done Poole -> Salcombe a few times. Portsmouth is obviously slightly further, on my OpenCPN plotter looks like ~105NM from Portsmouth. Obviously tidal points around Hurst, St Albans, Portland Bill and Start Point worth considering, especially Portland Bill which can get quite nasty in the wrong conditions. Either take the inshore route and hug the Portland lighthouse if you're going to be staying closer to the coast, or if aiming straight for Salcombe, then you should be far enough off to avoid the race. Lyme Bay can be lumpy in the wrong conditions, I've had some good trips across, and some bad trips!

There is a bar at the entrance to Salcombe - if you're not familiar with it, the marked channel is on the western side, stick to it. Salcombe itself only really offers mooring buoys for overnight visitors, dinghy or taxi ashore. If you speak nicely to the harbour masters, if there's space they may let you leave your boat on Whitestrand (I think) commercial pontoon for the night after commercial boats finish for the day, if you really want to walk ashore. Petrol available on the fuel barge in the estuary/harbour. I like Salcombe, and find it a very convenient stopping place if heading further West. Dartmouth is also just as good (or some would say better) if you're exploring around there, or heading a bit further west then Newton Ferrers/Noss Mayo.

If you haven't done a passage of that length before, don't assume you can do it all at max speed - conditions and/or tiredness may change things. I tend to plan on 20-25kn average being maintainable, but remember doing one crossing of Lyme Bay at 15kn it was so nasty! I wrote up some other thoughts on my first long solo trip to Penzance here: http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/poole-p...log-64381.html
Old 14 July 2018, 22:13   #3

Thanks very much Paul. That’s all really helpful. I’m staying in Salcombe for 2 weeks and the Harbour master has promised me a mooring in the Bag. I used to tow my boat down there but my current one is drystacked and I don’t have a trailer so it’s the perfect oppty to make the trip by sea. Some great tips in your post so thanks again.
Old 14 July 2018, 22:22   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Did Dartmouth-Lymington a couple of months ago. I second staying well off Portland Bill. It's only about 5 hours even if you faff about, so not really worth breaking into 2 legs.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:44   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I’ve always gone close in on Portland Bill with no problems. You do need to commit though and keep right in close if you decide to take this route.

The West Country Cruising Companion is a good read if you haven’t got it already.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Countr.../dp/1909911089
Old 15 July 2018, 10:11   #6

Agreed, personally coming from Poole on my boats I always use the inshore route, and never had any problems in RIB's or sailing yachts. If coming from the Solent though, and heading west, it can make more sense to stay offshore given the rhumb line.
Old 15 July 2018, 19:24   #7

Town: Derby
Boat name: Jean-Marie
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 300
I did Portsmouth to Salcombe last August in my RC7.8 with a Verado 300 for the same reasons- holiday for 2 weeks in Salcombe
Weather was not good, aborted on the first day in F8 SW on the nose. Decided to go on the second day which was F6-7 SW. initially planned to take the shortest route from Needles to Start Point but had to go into Weymouth for some respite. Lyme bay is a bit daunting in the kind of sea we had- it took 6hrs to cross from Weymouth to Dartmouth where I had to go to refuel as we were only doing 10knts max 15knts so full time displacement speed (when the hull was in the water) which killed any fuel economy.
We left Southampton at 0530 got to Salcombe at 2000 having stopped at Weymouth for 1 hr and got fuel at Dartmouth from the fuel barge

I remember thinking if it’s like this coming back then it will be brilliant in a following sea
Two weeks later when we left to do the return trip the wind was F5 from the NE so on the nose again- I could have wept!
In summary it’s a great stretch of coastline but be prepared for every eventuality and you will have a great time
Old 15 July 2018, 21:32   #8

I can relate to that Iain! My first crossing of Lyme Bay by RIB was a F7 SW on the nose... I got to Weymouth fine from Poole with the Isle of Portland protecting me, but on rounding Portland Bill the conditions changed significantly as you'd expect. Similarly, I did about 15kn for much of the Lyme Bay crossing, and ended up almost following the curve of the bay around to the north west rather than doing a straight jump across to Salcombe, as that gave me a much more comfortable ride. I was very glad to arrive at Salcombe and be able to tie up to something and have a break!
Old 17 July 2018, 20:18   #9

Town: South West
Length: 4m +
Well I can tell you the last few weeks have been flat calm on start point, prawl point and bolt head, conditions have been perfect so hope it sticks around.

If I see you on the water I'll give you a wave, blue and yellow 6.5m Pro-Sport
Old 17 July 2018, 20:41   #10

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice and tips. I’ll report back on how it goes. roody262: I’ll keep an eye out for you on arrival!
Old 18 July 2018, 06:12   #11

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
RIBase
In your boat and with reasonable conditions the passage should be straightforward. Check out fuel prices at Salcombe and Dartmouth as fuel is C. £1.90/litre in Salcombe and may be worth filling up in Dartmouth.
I just back from a week in Salcombe and it was fabulous - with mirror calm seas everyday.
Old 18 July 2018, 21:04   #12
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
Fuel cost Dartmouth vs Salcombe

Actually the fuel at both locations is provided by the same Company, Yeowards, so I suspect the cost will be pretty much the same.
Old 27 July 2018, 08:53   #13

Thanks again for all the comments. One further question. I’ve read in the West Coast Cruising Companion that that they recommend, when heading west, to round Portland Bill around Dover HW - 1. If we decide to take the wider more direct route from Needles Lighthouse to Start Point, passing Portland Bill about 4 / 5 NM to the south, do tides matter or can we go at pretty much any time? My sense is this HW - 1 advice is more aimed at sailing boats taking the route closer to the shore.
Old 27 July 2018, 11:25   #14

Far enough south of Portland and the tide doesn't really make any difference, will just be the same conditions as further east and west. The issue is the lump of water that forms the "race", and can extend 5-7NM south in bad conditions especially with strong wind against tide. The tidal advice in the almanacs is really for the inshore route and/or those aiming to pass slightly south of Portland Bill (but not 5-7NM south) in somewhat slower sailing vessels who can't fight the tide.

In a RIB capable of 20+kn (a lot more in your case!), and especially in the light winds we've mainly been having lately, the inshore passage shouldn't be a problem at most states of tide. You literally can reach out and touch the lighthouse though, you really do go that close to the edge of Portland! Personally, other than once, I've always used the inshore passage in both the sailing yacht and the RIB, and never had a problem, even in reasonable winds. Or if you want to take the direct offshore route, in these conditions, 5-7NM south should be fine as well, just safest to avoid the middle bit!
Old 29 July 2018, 08:07   #15

Great, thanks Paul. Very pleased I’m due to leave next Sunday and not today!
Old 29 August 2018, 21:43   #16

Town: Derby
Boat name: Jean-Marie
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 300
How did you get on with your trip?
Old 30 August 2018, 11:49   #17

Thanks for the reminder Iain - I’ve been meaning to report back. The trip was fantastic, though the return was very different to the way down. We left Portsmouth whilst the heatwave was still with us, and enjoyed glassy waters all the way the to the Needles, where there was a little bit of chop but nothing too uncomfortable. We then headed pretty much straight towards Dartmouth, passing Portland at least 6 miles to the south and then across Lyme Bay. We were lucky to benefit from a rare easterly wind and made very good time, spotting a few Dolphins along the way. Having left Port Solent just before 8, we arrived in Salcombe just before 1pm in time for a late lunch! Absolutely no dramas and all in all a very enjoyable experience (apart from the 50 gallons of fuel we burned along the way!). By the time we were due to return, the heatwave had gone and normal British summertime weather had resumed. We left Salcombe early under grey skies with a 15-18 knot south-westerly, and a sub-optimal sea state, which we powered through at +/-30 knots most of the way. It was pretty uncomfortable at lot of the way, with a few challenging moments around Portland Bill (where we stuffed the bow into a wave resulting in an unwanted shower), and again as we rounded the headland by Swanage, though we made it to the Needles Lighthouse in 3 hours 30. The Solent was the choppiest I’ve seen it in a while with (unsurprisingly) few non-sailing boats out and about. When we moored up at Trafalgar Wharf, we were glad to get ashore - the knees and back had definitely taken a bit of a battering. All in all, a memorable trip both ways - for different reasons - and I would definitely do it again. The Cobra seating configuration is not ideal for these kind of trips as you with stand and take it all in the knees or sit and sit and take it through your back. I found myself yearning for jockeys or, better still, suspension seats. Thanks for all the advice from all those who offered it — it was very helpful in preparing for, and navigating, the trip. Cheers.