Old 30 October 2010, 09:14   #1

Town: Coventry
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
Porthmadog

Has anybody on here used Porthmadog for launching? Where do you park trailer and vehicle whilst out on the boat? What is it like at the height of the season?
Any info would be appreciated, for or against , as we are thinking of launching here next year.

Regards

Rob C
Old 30 October 2010, 15:54   #2

Town: North West
Boat name: Rubber Duck
Make: Humber
Engine: 90 Opti
MMSI: 235075712
Hi,

Iv only launched and recovered at Black Rock sands once this season, I left the trailer and car on a nearby campsite next to a friends caravan, but I believe there is space on the beach that doesnt get wet when the tide comes in.
There are two launching areas (marked by yellow bouys), the beach has a shallow slope which means you have to push the boat and trailer out quite far and the same for recovering but a long rope helps if you want to keep the car dry.
We recovered on a falling tide and just let the boat dry out then winched off the beach onto the trailer, hitched the car up and drove off.

The permit about £20 to register then think its £20 per day or £150 for the year covers all of the Gwynedd council so I usually use the slip at Pwllheli which is usable almost all of the year just a few days on really low spring tides where its not possible, its also well protected form the weather whereas Black rock sands can get abit of a swell rolling up the beach.

Hopefuly this has answered some of your questions, there will be others that use it more often that can give you some further advice.
Old 30 October 2010, 18:35   #3

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Hi,

we work out of Porthmadog every month. Launching on the slipway in town. We are working for the Environment Agency when there so are assisted with parking space etc by the harbourmaster /use their premises.

The slip has a pretty shallow slope at the bottom /when the tide is low.....easier to drive onto the trailer when there is more water...an hour each side of tide is good.

My suggestion would be to give the new harbourmaster (David) a call and have a chat re your requirements /options etc. He is a helpful guy 01766 512927

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2010, 20:18   #4

Thanks for the replies guys, some useful info.
I will be going down there to recce the area before next year so i will try to have a word with the harbour master in person.

Regards

Rob C
Old 31 October 2010, 09:24   #5

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Rude Buoy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 200
MMSI: 235080555
I was looking to buy a caravan near Black Rock sands a few years ago.We towed our boat from Liverpool down to Porthmadog on many occasion to get a taste for it.The area around there has some of the best scenery in Wales but the same cannot be said for a lot of the other beach users.This included jet skiers spraying us in the boat when trying to launch (with my wife & 5&7 year old kids on board)and also the saxo brigade doing wheel spins and donuts on the beach between the kids building sandcastles.That said the launch and recovery where really easy off the left hand side of the beach but it does get really busy at the weekend.Hope this helps
Old 02 November 2010, 16:51   #6

BEJJ's,
thanks for the info,forewarned etc,it's unfortunate that the moronic minority have to spoil things for everyone else.Do i take it that you did not go on to purchase a caravan,as this is one of our options,have you any recommendations regarding sites in the area?

Regards

Rob C
Old 03 November 2010, 08:07   #7

Town: manchester
Boat name: seanoevil
Make: brig
Length: 4m +
Engine: honda 50 4stroke
porthmadog

Hi rob
I have a caravan at greenacres site which backs on to black rock sands and i find the beach easy to launch and recover for the majority of the year. I have been every weekend up to now and not struggled for space as the beach is probably the biggest accessable in north wales plus plenty of parking.cost is £12 to launch day to day in season .free from the end of september to march .and with free secure boat park on greenacres it all works well for me hope this helps
Andy
Old 03 November 2010, 22:07   #8

Cheers Andy

Rob C