Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 July 2012, 15:04   #1

Town: poole
Length: 6m +
Porters Rib for sale, any thoughts

Hi, I'm a newby here and I recently agreed to buy this on ebay

Porters 6.5 meter RIB with Evinrude 135hp & trailer | eBay

Unfortunately when I viewed 10 or so days after the pictures were taken, the tubes looked like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Porters 6.5 rib.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	70173

Outcome, whilst initially told that deflation wasn't a problem, two holes were found in the tubes which are very worn, I withdrew from the transaction and the boat has been re-listed with the text Please note: I am re-listing this due to a buyer clicking the buy-it-now button and then changing his mind. PLEASE don't waste my time by doing the same.

Is this really how ribbers behave?

I pulled out of the deal as the boat was not as described, if you are interested in buying such a rib make sure you check it very carefully!

The communities thoughts are welcome
Old 10 July 2012, 15:12   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmac666 View Post
Is this really how ribbers behave?

I pulled out of the deal as the boat was not as described, if you are interested in buying such a rib make sure you check it very carefully!

I don't think that ribbers behave in any particular way. Was this content in the original ad?

"Being 10 years old it’s not sparkling new – there is a bit of wear and tear here and there. Specifically there is a small amount of wear in places on the tops of the tubes, and three of the seat cushions are splitting along the seams."

If it was, then you're probably barking up the wrong forum
Old 10 July 2012, 15:15   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmac666 View Post
[/B]Is this really how ribbers behave?
which? clicking on 'buy it now' on ebay to make a contractual commitment and then pulling out or listing stuff on ebay with optimistic descriptions etc? I'd say that ribbers are just a subset of the wider population and so both forms of 'ebay problem' are just as likely.
Quote:

generally for rib like items - (1) inspect before you buy especially if like this one they are 'elderly' (2) treat with suspicion any listing which appears good value and gets relisted because of a time waster - its quite likely a sign that its not as good a deal as it seems.
Old 10 July 2012, 15:16   #4

Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 30
Without sounding to harsh and dont take this the wrong way.
Why on earth would anyone agree to buy anything of that value before viewing it and trying it out.
Im only a siber but when i purchased both my boat and engine seperatly i viewed before agreeing anything.
Old 10 July 2012, 15:17   #5

Thanks for your insight, it was the original content but I would have thought leaky tubes would be recognised as an issue and not as a bit of wear and tear. As I say I am a newbie and therefore maybe a bit naive. I guess I'm also a bit dissapointed by effectively being labelled as a time waster. The listing was for returns accepted and I assumed a rib that doesn't hold air would have been fair grounds to reject.
Old 10 July 2012, 15:29   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Small leaks or seeps are fairly common on a RIB of that age, but are obviously a disappointment when you don't expect them. I read that ad to be fairly straight - he lists a lot of faults that many would not. Bear in mind also that the photos were taken on a warm sunny day, your visit was on a cool wet one - this deflates tubes remarkably, something a newbie would not perhaps be aware of. This may have influenced the vendors opinion, but mostly I would imagine he just wants to explain the reappearance of his RIB on the market...

Your first post on here was a fairly "edgy" one, but you shouldn't take our comments as unwelcoming - we're just a bit "taken aback". I hope you continue to frequent the forum - it's quite useful - so Welcome!

BTW, the engine on the RIB was probably the worst thing about it - you were a lucky man in some ways...
Old 10 July 2012, 15:32   #7

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I wouldn't worry about the minor ebay bitching ..( you should read what goes onon here ! ) . I'd also think that a lot of ebay sellers don't actually pay any attention to the 'returns accepted bit' of the listing process and option - its been a while since I sold on ebay so not 100% sure of the actual process nowadays)

One persons wear & tear is another persons worn out, but not actually staying inflated I think is not on.

There will be better boats ( and engines on those boats) for that money about due to the total lack of summer this year so I'd keep looking and as said always go look at a boat or get some one to go for you who you trust and knows thier stuff.
Old 10 July 2012, 15:35   #8

Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 30
Theres 2 for sale on here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/delta-5...ale-49261.html

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/picton-...str-49250.html
Old 10 July 2012, 15:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Small leaks or seeps are fairly common on a RIB of that age, but are obviously a disappointment when you don't expect them. I read that ad to be fairly straight - he lists a lot of faults that many would not. Bear in mind also that the photos were taken on a warm sunny day, your visit was on a cool wet one - this deflates tubes remarkably, something a newbie would not perhaps be aware of. This may have influenced the vendors opinion, but mostly I would imagine he just wants to explain the reappearance of his RIB on the market...

Your first post on here was a fairly "edgy" one, but you shouldn't take our comments as unwelcoming - we're just a bit "taken aback". I hope you continue to frequent the forum - it's quite useful - so Welcome!

BTW, the engine on the RIB was probably the worst thing about it - you were a lucky man in some ways...
I apologise if the post seemed edgy, I am a) dissapointed and b) a touch miffed at the time-waster inference, I guess that may have come across in my original post

Thanks for welcoming words though
Old 10 July 2012, 15:52   #10

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Is that RIB at <location removed>

There are a few RIBs there and most of them seem to be in a bit of a state (flat tubes, etc.) Of course, apologies to anyone who's RIB is there and is in immaculate order..!

Gerry
Old 10 July 2012, 15:58   #11

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry
Is that RIB at <location removed>

Gerry
Yes it is, but nothing to do with them.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 15:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Is that RIB at <location removed>?

There are a few RIBs there and most of them seem to be in a bit of a state (flat tubes, etc.) Of course, apologies to anyone who's RIB is there and is in immaculate order..!

Gerry
Gerry, it would probably be unfair of me to confirm or deny whether it is
Old 10 July 2012, 16:16   #13

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmac666
Gerry, it would probably be unfair of me to confirm or deny whether it is
The owner is a member of this forum so may well post on this thread if he reads it.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 16:27   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
The owner is a member of this forum so may well post on this thread if he reads it.
..... of course!
Old 10 July 2012, 16:36   #15

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Trixie
Make: Scorpion 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
Anything on ebay for £10k+ is surely just an advert or a way of making people aware that its for sale... nobody's going to commit that sort of cash without seeing it in the flesh are they ?? I wouldn't spend over a grand on anything mechanical without at least kicking the tyre's.

I might be tight, but I wouldn't even buy a brand new RIB for £12k without seeing the factory it's being built in and shaking the builders hand....
Old 10 July 2012, 17:00   #16

Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Problem with Ebay is people don't really read the adverts on occasions.

I sold a violin on Ebay with the notes that it was collect only. Someone bought it and then accused me of not being helpful when refusing to send it to them.

I also sold an outboard as sold as seen but demonstrated it working. I then later got accused of deceit as there was some sort of gear problem.
Old 11 July 2012, 11:19   #17

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: 150 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry
Is that RIB at <location removed>?

Gerry
Really? Surely you don't the <location removed for security purposes> ribs, they are great fun, went to safety boat bucs windsurfing championships at calshot a few months ago and we took 7-8 boats down, 3 of them being seasoned sr4.somethings... Great fun trying to keep up with big ribs in the chop...

Upon exiting the boat please check the bilge for your valuables...
Josh_P is offline   Reply With Quote