Old 25 February 2019, 15:35   #1

Town: Setúbal
Boat name: RONHAS
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 6HP & 2.5HP
Porta-Bote

Hi there,

Did anyone of you heard about this: https://www.porta-bote.com/?

Is this good stuff, for example, as an alternative for the inflatable?

If there is any thread already open in the forum about this kind of boat please let me know.

many thanks
MOTS
Old 25 February 2019, 15:52   #2

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
I had a 12' with a 2.5hp Nissan outboard. It was nice for the calm lakes. I used it for fishing for trout. I would not recommend taking it out on windy days. The boat is very light and flimsy. Taking in the ocean is out of the question. It folds up fairly flat, but the length remains the same at 12' when folded. So, you need a truck or other vehicle with a full sized rack. And you can't put a very big motor on them. I believe 10hp or less.

These boats are great, but it also depends on your needs and activities.
Old 26 February 2019, 10:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloLoco View Post
I had a 12' with a 2.5hp Nissan outboard. It was nice for the calm lakes. I used it for fishing for trout. I would not recommend taking it out on windy days. The boat is very light and flimsy. Taking in the ocean is out of the question. It folds up fairly flat, but the length remains the same at 12' when folded. So, you need a truck or other vehicle with a full sized rack. And you can't put a very big motor on them. I believe 10hp or less.

These boats are great, but it also depends on your needs and activities.
Many thanks for your reply, Diablo

The boat would be used in dams or in Sado river, between Tróia peninsula and Setúbal, allowing a lot of fun to reach our beautiful beaches in sunny days.

The transportation would be done using the roof bars of my veichle and I'm thinking in a 6HP outboard motor to be used on the boat.

Tell me 2 things: an 12ft boat allows 4 people to be carried? and do think the boat is reliable?

MOTS
Old 26 February 2019, 12:36   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessOfTheSeas View Post

The boat would be used in dams or in Sado river, between Tróia peninsula and Setúbal, allowing a lot of fun to reach our beautiful beaches in sunny days.

MOTS

Beautiful area, you’re lucky to have this as your playground. We’re hoping to be down there early summer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Beautiful area, you’re lucky to have this as your playground. We’re hoping to be down there early summer.

If you'll come here let me know, if you need any tips of course....
Old 26 February 2019, 16:16   #6

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessOfTheSeas View Post
Many thanks for your reply, Diablo

The transportation would be done using the roof bars of my veichle and I'm thinking in a 6HP outboard motor to be used on the boat.

Tell me 2 things: an 12ft boat allows 4 people to be carried? and do think the boat is reliable?

MOTS
I had 3 people (Adults) with fishing gear in my boat once....once. It never happened again. It was very cramped. If someone moved around in the boat, the boat wobbled, kind of like being on a kayak, but wider. Not a comfortable feeling when you are in the middle of a huge lake. For fishing and activities, I would only have two (you and 1 other). For just cruising along and sightseeing, you might be good with 4, depending on size and weight of people.

I had a 2.5hp motor on mine. The motor came with the boat when it was given to me as a gift, so it was used by the giver. I used it to troll for trout. I did not need it for speed or power. With two of us on the boat, it went 5-6 kn in calm, flat water and no wind. When I had 3 people, I was lucky to get 2-3 kn. And if there is wind blowing in the opposite direction you need to go, its going to be a very long trip back to the dock. Since I only used it with two people, and if I could start all over, I would have bought a 5-6hp motor for this same application. I only had the boat for about a year.

If you plan on having 3-4 people in your boat, I would recommend 10hp., to make up for those times chop and wind hit the lake. If you are good with 2 people, 5-6hp will be more than sufficient.

Just remember I thing. This boat is very light. Yeah, its great that one person can carry it, that it folds up flat and compact and assembles easily, but because it is so light, it does not handle well with wind. With a good gust of wind, the bow will lift up just like an inflatable. in this condition, someone has to sit in the bow. If you are by yourself, you are screwed. I would consider all of these factors before investing into one of these unit. if it suits your needs and desires, go for it. Otherwise, I would buy a used 12-13" SIB, with a 10hp motor, made in PVC to keep the price down
Old 26 February 2019, 16:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloLoco View Post
I had 3 people (Adults) with fishing gear in my boat once....once. It never happened again. It was very cramped. If someone moved around in the boat, the boat wobbled, kind of like being on a kayak, but wider. Not a comfortable feeling when you are in the middle of a huge lake. For fishing and activities, I would only have two (you and 1 other). For just cruising along and sightseeing, you might be good with 4, depending on size and weight of people.

I had a 2.5hp motor on mine. The motor came with the boat when it was given to me as a gift, so it was used by the giver. I used it to troll for trout. I did not need it for speed or power. With two of us on the boat, it went 5-6 kn in calm, flat water and no wind. When I had 3 people, I was lucky to get 2-3 kn. And if there is wind blowing in the opposite direction you need to go, its going to be a very long trip back to the dock. Since I only used it with two people, and if I could start all over, I would have bought a 5-6hp motor for this same application. I only had the boat for about a year.

If you plan on having 3-4 people in your boat, I would recommend 10hp., to make up for those times chop and wind hit the lake. If you are good with 2 people, 5-6hp will be more than sufficient.

Just remember I thing. This boat is very light. Yeah, its great that one person can carry it, that it folds up flat and compact and assembles easily, but because it is so light, it does not handle well with wind. With a good gust of wind, the bow will lift up just like an inflatable. in this condition, someone has to sit in the bow. If you are by yourself, you are screwed. I would consider all of these factors before investing into one of these unit. if it suits your needs and desires, go for it. Otherwise, I would buy a used 12-13" SIB, with a 10hp motor, made in PVC to keep the price down
Understood!

So for 4 people to cruise along and go to the beaches a 8HP would be enough. A 8HP 4 stroke short shaft weights around 37kg and its what I think the limit for 2 persons to carry it on arms.

As I said the boat is not for windy days. Also the portability is a need I have.

Many thanks again