Old 16 October 2019, 05:51   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Popped out for dinner ( in the rib)

Cool cloudy day on the water today. Due to the size my daughter kept just two lobsters and a couple of snapper today. Encountered a few sharks and even managed to remove a hook and line from one after a wrestle and a pair of pliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	131140  
Old 20 October 2019, 12:41   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Just incredible. They will make a great meal, and as fresh as it comes.

Tell me, the sharks, what are they - reef sharks? Your daughter must be brave. I'm anxious in wetsuit on the west coast of Scotland, never mind in Australia!
Old 20 October 2019, 18:41   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Great catch.
in all my years of diving only seen one in uk waters that was at Oban the taste was glorious but I prefer crab seasoned with white pepper and vinegar,brown bread, ripe tomatoes and a cupa tea
Old 20 October 2019, 20:03   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Great catch.
in all my years of diving only seen one in uk waters that was at Oban the taste was glorious but I prefer crab seasoned with white pepper and vinegar,brown bread, ripe tomatoes and a cupa tea

We’ve had a few cray down in Pembrokeshire in our day. I’m with you on the crab though Jeff, much tastier.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 15:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

Tell me, the sharks, what are they - reef sharks? Your daughter must be brave. I'm anxious in wetsuit on the west coast of Scotland, never mind in Australia!

The most common are bronze whaler, mako, hammerheads, wobbegong and quite often great whites. She guides snorkelling tourists among the Fur seals which are preyed upon by some hefty sharks. These sharks are only interested in us if we have speared fish ( as are the seals ). Sharks in clear water are very little threat but when the water is murky and around dark even grey nurse sharks turn a little cranky with us. Today she had a good sized mako check her out. Last week she freedived alone after dark and sat on the bottom listening to the humpbacks, which I wasn't to impressed with her doing alone but also a little envious of at the same time. Spearing together, knowing someone is watching out for you as you dispatch fish is normally encouraged.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:56   #6

Quote:

Quote:

The most common are bronze whaler, mako, hammerheads, wobbegong and quite often great whites. She guides snorkelling tourists among the Fur seals which are preyed upon by some hefty sharks. These sharks are only interested in us if we have speared fish ( as are the seals ). Sharks in clear water are very little threat but when the water is murky and around dark even grey nurse sharks turn a little cranky with us. Today she had a good sized mako check her out. Last week she freedived alone after dark and sat on the bottom listening to the humpbacks, which I wasn't to impressed with her doing alone but also a little envious of at the same time. Spearing together, knowing someone is watching out for you as you dispatch fish is normally encouraged.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:58   #7

Quote:

Old 21 October 2019, 16:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We’ve had a few cray down in Pembrokeshire in our day. I’m with you on the crab though Jeff, much tastier.

We have many species of lobsters here, with these the eastern rock lobster being ranked the highest rating quality and most expensive.

We also have a fair amount of freshwater crayfishes.

The main difference is not to do with claws ( pinchers ) it's do with where they live. Lobsters live in saltwater, crays in fresh water, with varieties of claw and non claw in both salt and fresh. https://animals.mom.me/differences-b...fish-4113.html
Old 21 October 2019, 16:32   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
We have many species of lobsters here, with these the eastern rock lobster being ranked the highest rating quality and most expensive.

We also have a fair amount of freshwater crayfishes.

The main difference is not to do with claws ( pinchers ) it's do with where they live. Lobsters live in saltwater, crays in fresh water, with varieties of claw and non claw in both salt and fresh. https://animals.mom.me/differences-b...fish-4113.html

We get Lobster, the “traditional” Atlantic Blue & cray in the sea. We call the type of lobster that you have there, Cray. We also have the small fresh water Crayfishes, it’s all a tad confusing.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 21 October 2019, 17:37   #10

Quote:
We get Lobster, the “traditional” Atlantic Blue & cray in the sea. We call the type of lobster that you have there, Cray. We also have the small fresh water Crayfishes, it’s all a tad confusing.

Not really confusing, it's just that people hear someone calling something by its wrong title then do the same. Lobsters in salt crays in fresh, now you can outsmart the competition on trivia night

I'm aware of the crab and lobsters around the UK, the last job I had over there before moving out here was on a crabbing boat where we caught around 1.5 ton of crab and two bins of lobster each trip.
Old 21 October 2019, 17:38   #11

A couple of videos from when my daughter was at school, this one she was fourteen.

Old 21 October 2019, 17:40   #12

This one from when she was 16.

Old 21 October 2019, 20:49   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Not really confusing, it's just that people hear someone calling something by its wrong title then do the same. Lobsters in salt crays in fresh, now you can outsmart the competition on trivia night

I'm aware of the crab and lobsters around the UK, the last job I had over there before moving out here was on a crabbing boat where we caught around 1.5 ton of crab and two bins of lobster each trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster
Old 21 October 2019, 21:07   #14

Quote:

Yes that's totally correct some people do call them crayfish here (wrongly) just like they call lace monitors here goannas too but as the link I provided and any scientific identification book will correctly state, they are not. Another is the white bellied sea eagle which I've photographed for the Aus Geographic, 99 % of people call them eagles but they are in fact part of the buzzard family scientificly. This list of incorrectly called species greatly continues with fish species, where often species get American-ised for some reason, maybe because they are quite load!!!!

My wife is from the scientific background so always encouraged our kids to use scientific names of wildlife, which was quite funny as primary kids at school.
Old 21 October 2019, 23:31   #15

Many scientific studies conducted by scientists here, none using the name crayfish https://www.frdc.com.au/search?HasPr...yword=Lobsters
Old 22 October 2019, 04:22   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Saw my first mitten crab couple of weeks ago fresh water in Norfolk invasive species just saying
Old 22 October 2019, 05:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Saw my first mitten crab couple of weeks ago fresh water in Norfolk invasive species just saying

We have European share crabs in the lake in front of our house that came here from the UK in whaling boats that were stationed at Eden NSW, to my south. Also have bunnies, foxes, dear, wild cats and dogs etc etc from the UK in very high numbers. My daughter in the above pic shoots samba deer every time she heads out shooting, they are that common.
Old 22 October 2019, 08:33   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
If everyone in New Zealand calls them crayfish, they must have a point. Crayfish and chips from a roadside caravan is about the best food you can get. When 4 of us ordered, the lady behind the counter had to phone her husband to dive and get some more!
Old 22 October 2019, 11:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
If everyone in New Zealand calls them crayfish, they must have a point. Crayfish and chips from a roadside caravan is about the best food you can get. When 4 of us ordered, the lady behind the counter had to phone her husband to dive and get some more!
It doesn't bother me what you want to call them, I'm just pointing out what marine scientists identify them as ( as I do ). We've just had the under 18 female New Zealand spearfishing champion stay with us, she calls them lobsters here and back in NZ, so there is one person over there calling them Correctly. Maybe she had a better science teacher, once she starts drinking down the pub they will soon put her right They also call fish "fush" over there so how can you take them seriously.

The lobsters I posted are in Australia, not NZ or the UK. Here you can see dozens and dozens of research projects by marine scientists identifying them as rock lobster https://www.frdc.com.au/search?Searc...d=Rock+lobster

Maybe that lady with a caravan selling crays should educate the New Zealand lobster industry into proper identification https://www.undercurrentnews.com/201...cuts-for-some/
Old 22 October 2019, 12:38   #20

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I popped out for dinner in my RIB the other day.

But sitting in it, on it’s trailer, eating ham and pickle sandwiches whilst waiting for the deck I’d just washed down to dry before putting the cover back on wasn’t half as glamorous.

And the only Shark circling was the yard owner, checking his Ipad to make sure I'd paid recently.

Nasher.

Tags
rib