Old 03 October 2011, 08:27   #31

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
At this stage I wouldn't worry about fine tuning the gauge - I bet there will either be an adjuster screw on either the sender or the dial to set "bottom". All that will happen at the moment when you move the pin is that the needle will stop at "not quite full down". If the pin movement solves the spray problem at "full down", then opost back & we can work out how to recalibrate the gauge

I don't have a gauge on mine, I just use the pin to let me know it's at the bottom (audible "thud" & trim motor souding different!), and use the sound of the engine & feel of the handling to tell me when it's in the right place when trimming out.

Granted my engine was manual trim when I bought it - one of these days it might sprout a gauge!

Old 03 October 2011, 11:02   #32

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I have a valiant DR 490 the bigger brother of your boat,

I would not adjust the trim in angle. These boats can be bow light and benifit from been trimmed in hard when heading into a head sea . There is an 13 degree rake in on the transom. This would appear to be more than most ribs

TSM

Old 12 October 2011, 10:19   #33

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Thanks for all your help on this one guys, we went out earlier and there was a big improvement, I reckon it could still go up a bit but the difference in speed is incredible, the engine is also running much better with no dramas.

This was taken at about 13 knots, just on the plane but it was too choppy for my little boat to be too adventurous.

Old 12 October 2011, 11:30   #34

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Cool.

That will lift out further as you speed up & the boat rises. For what it's worth, the pic I linked to earlier on was taken on a flat day with me using my other hand to cling to the A- frame (& foot wedged in under the other side) having warned my friend on the helm not to pull any stunts....

So how many pins out were you, or was that just on the ram?
Old 12 October 2011, 12:04   #35

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Mine was a screen shot of a video, just held out my phone and hoped one frame would be ok.

I've left the pin in the bottom one, if I trim up slightly at low speed the bow comes up and on the plane it's perfect with the needle showing level - my next thing is to load up the front with an inflatable water tank as I have a heavy engine with the console and bench seat most of the way back, should also make it more stable with a bit of ballast.